• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) The WotC Playtest Surveys Have A Flaw

do we need simpler rules, or just different adventures
Neither is vital, though both could be useful. And yeah 3PP is doing a much better job on this than WotC.

We need tonal differences and to allow for a D&D that's really directed at older teens and adults. Which doesn't necessarily mean sex and gore or whatever, but it does mean less absolutely ridiculously toned-down stuff like Strixhaven or Spelljammer.

Ondath

Hero
One of the great advantages of D&D and AD&D being separate games that existed at the same time was that D&D could - and did - aim more kid-friendly - and AD&D aimed at more teen-and-up.

I think what this means for the modern era is that we kind of need a new kid-friendly D&D to stop all D&D having to be kid-friendly on the off-chance an eight-year-old reads it or something.

I say this as someone who has very liberal-minded parents re: media but who did confiscate an RPG for being too horrifying when I was eight lol (The Riddling Reaver).
As a consumer, I agree. But I'm guessing it's not a sensible business decision. People keep saying that one of TSR's big mistakes was putting out too many products, to the point that their books ended up competing with each other for sales. Since WotC/Hasbro seems to see modern D&D as "The big tent game where each book must cater to every consumer at once", having two separate lines of the game would probably not be a compatible strategy.

But I really, really wish we still had something like the Basic/Advanced distinction. If only 5E were as modular as it was initially promised, I guess...

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Doesn't make sense to me, but some people really care about art I guess.
Which part doesn't make sense? That I dont have a 5E core set and might buy one? Or that anyone who doesnt have a core set would want to buy the new one? Very confusing.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Which part doesn't make sense? That I dont have a 5E core set and might buy one? Or that anyone who doesnt have a core set would want to buy the new one? Very confusing.
Someone who does have a perfectly good core set but buys a new one.

Remove ads