• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Things You Think Would Improve the Game That We WON'T See

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
A lot of simplification is good, when 3e came out with its unified d20 mechanic, that was great. Now it was the same mechanic for hitting something, rolling skill checks, and making saves. No more separate attack rolls, roll under for skills and roll over for saves, and no more percentile skill checks for thieves. I ever minded thac0 but I also get why they changed it to ascending (something they wanted to do for 2e, but didn't because they didn't want to invalidate 1e, I guess conversion documents weren't a thing back then)
All that means is that you like some simplification, not that a lot of simplification is good in general.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
A lot of simplification is good, when 3e came out with its unified d20 mechanic, that was great. Now it was the same mechanic for hitting something, rolling skill checks, and making saves. No more separate attack rolls, roll under for skills and roll over for saves, and no more percentile skill checks for thieves. I ever minded thac0 but I also get why they changed it to ascending (something they wanted to do for 2e, but didn't because they didn't want to invalidate 1e, I guess conversion documents weren't a thing back then)
"You were pretty light on specifics there.

No ot doesn't, I'm saying that that simplification was good in general. You might still like the various mismatched systems but that doesn't mean they're good.
and here you are getting downright circular
Detailing specifics would look like this:
  • 3.x went to unified attribute bonuses rather than pre-3.x style attribute specific tables each with one off bonuses at non-unified values was good because: the unique values for each thing attached to six different attributes were too varied to remember them with any reliability rather than needing to consult the book every time one was needed.
    • However the implementation was bad because: the particulars of the implementation itself created new problems in the way narrowing the deadzone of +0 between roughly 6 & 15 put extreme pressure on players to perfectly arrange their attributes and forced the GM to be rather strict about anything boosting PC attributers.
  • When 3.x went from roll low is good to roll high in order to avoid the confusion some people had when a +1 weapon would reduce your roll by 1☆.
    • However the implementation was bad because: Now players who were needed to spend game time calculating every attack roll they ever made due to 3.x also getting rid of the concept of Players having a precalculated
      1707251434862.png

Courtesy of google image search
      in addition to getting rid of the character sheet section for
      1707251615987.png
      Courtesy of google image search

Without specifics you either rely on circular "simple = good so any simplification is unquestionably good" type reasoning or you must rely on the reader to assume the reason for your support of a particular simplification
☆ or however someone wanted to phrase it.

Remove ads