D&D 5E Toward a new D&D aesthetics

What is your feeling about the changes in aesthetics of D&D illustrations?

• I really enjoy those changes. The illustrations resemble well my ideal setting!

• I'm ok with those changes, even if my ideal setting has a different aesthetics.

• I'm uncertain about those changes

• I'm not ok with those changes because it impairs my immersion in the game.

• I hate those changes, I do not recognize D&D anymore

• The art doesn't really matter to me either way. I don't buy/play the game for the art.

• Change in aesthetics? Where? What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormonu

Legend
The non-human centric aspect to the art is an interesting angle. I like that the art shows this variety as well actually. Do you really think there are folks that object to non-humans in their pictures? I get that there is a sliver of the population that is frightened by the idea of these differences... but is this a widespread problem?
I’m sure there are folks that object, even if on a subconscious level. The comments about the “proliferation” of anthro creatures and “the cantina adventuring party” certainly allude to it, as do those who despise tiefling, dragonborn and the like. D&D has a ton of monsters, but the game has become more open to them also being the heroes (at least as far back as “the Complete Book of Humanoids” and really ramped up with “Savage Species”). It’s not the only reason some people are turned off to the more recent art, but its clearly had an effect.

Arilyn

Hero
In the 5e PHB, there are small illustrations in the corners of flowers, baked goods, berries, etc. They are pretty whimsical. And then there are the halflings...

So I don't think there is a shift because there's always been a wide variety from storybook to dark horrific monsters and everything in between.

theCourier

Adventurer
Oh boy...

Yet again, I didn't say it was all and currently Disneyfied. I said "trending".
Still haven't really provided any good examples of it, though, whereas others have provided lots of examples to argue otherwise. I think it's just that the edition is leaning more towards "heroic fantasy", where you have depictions of brave, outgoing heroes going up against great danger with confidence on their side. I think the PHB's cover is the prime example of this, personally.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
Folks, everyone has an option. If you disagree, just say so and move on.

By being intentionally obtuse, you are not contributing to a productive conversation.

But I think your intent is to start a fight, or at least frustrate me enough so that I go away, you get the last word and "win"

I've been around the block enough to recognize dirty debate tactics.

What is the point? are you trying to score some "cred" with the in the forum, or show fellow posters how loyal you are to the "cause"?

Do you see yourself as some knight defending the honor of WoTC?

This isn't a political forum folks... Just chill.

theCourier

Adventurer

By being intentionally obtuse, you are not contributing to a productive conversation.

But I think your intent is to start a fight, or at least frustrate me enough so that I go away, you get the last word and "win"

What is the point? are you trying to score some "cred" with the in the forum, or show fellow posters how loyal you are to the "cause"?

It's a discussion forum. Where people discuss things. And make claims. And if you make claims, it's commonly understand that you usually have to put forth some evidence so people can be on the same page and further the discussion.

BookTenTiger

He / Him

I'd be interested in seeing what kinds of art you like!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads