D&D 5E Toward a new D&D aesthetics

What is your feeling about the changes in aesthetics of D&D illustrations?

• I really enjoy those changes. The illustrations resemble well my ideal setting!

• I'm ok with those changes, even if my ideal setting has a different aesthetics.

• I'm uncertain about those changes

• I'm not ok with those changes because it impairs my immersion in the game.

• I hate those changes, I do not recognize D&D anymore

• The art doesn't really matter to me either way. I don't buy/play the game for the art.

• Change in aesthetics? Where? What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the Mod team - this was new to me. When I was a mod years ago (in a non gaming forum), I only intervened when someone broke the rules. I never interjected my opinion, no matter how wrong or inaccurate someone was. It was strange how they took it upon themselves to respond to my post that wasn't even directed at them, nor a response to something they posted.
firsttime?.gif

Scribe

Legend
But we're talking about apparent trends in the official art. This cover is new art, released this year. Doesn't that make it relevant to this discussion?
Not particularly to me, as its not new, and doesnt reflect to me a continuation of changing art style.

Then again...the alternate covers....

EDIT: For the luls.

DD-Rules-Expansion-Gift-Set-premium.jpg

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I think D&D should return to medieval designs as the baseline again. Doesn't need to stick to it, but clothing, armor, weapons, and buildings should look like they could have existed somewhere in the world in the 12th century.
12th century? Some of the coolest or most iconic bits of history (entirely subjective, I know) were in other points in history for different cultures, so I feel like a one-size-fits-all approach isn't helpful.

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind some (note qualifier) of the art to look more "historical" than just generic fantasy. Though that could get colorful—garishly so, sometimes—so that might not meet the approval of some here.

Bluebell

Explorer
Not particularly to me, as its not new, and doesnt reflect to me a continuation of changing art style.
But that's objectively not true. It is new art, released as the cover of a new product, in a discussion about art. If you want to talk about the words in the book just being a rerelease, there are other threads for that.

Then again...the alternate covers....

EDIT: For the luls.

DD-Rules-Expansion-Gift-Set-premium.jpg
Very different! I dig the minimalism of the three book covers. Isn't it interesting how the alt covers seem to be where Wizards is putting its brighter and more sylized artwork? I feel like Wild Beyond Witchlight had a similar contrast between regular and alt covers:

E-3X7mMWEAU_9DM.jpeg

Is it a trend if both are being released side-by-side?

Scribe

Legend
Very different!
Mostly I was laughing about the DM screen being yet another example of the Blue/Purple/Pink mass I've been complaining about. I normally quite like minimalism as well, but the image of Tasha just doesnt work for me as its again too....something if we cannot use the 'D' word.

Non-Offensive, and Age Neutral. Throw in my (personal) complaint about palette and genre, and I think hopefully I've been clear enough.

Bluebell

Explorer
Mostly I was laughing about the DM screen being yet another example of the Blue/Purple/Pink mass I've been complaining about. I normally quite like minimalism as well, but the image of Tasha just doesnt work for me as its again too....something if we cannot use the 'D' word.

Non-Offensive, and Age Neutral. Throw in my (personal) complaint about palette and genre, and I think hopefully I've been clear enough.
You've been very clear that it isn't to your taste, and that's entirely reasonable. I just don't see the problem if it's only an alt version and therefore completely optional if you want to buy the product. Releasing different styles of art side-by-side actually seems like a pretty good compromise to me.

"Medieval fantasy as interpreted by Japanese video-game art directors" is the peak and ultimate aesthetic.

Dragon's Crown/Odin Sphere/Grand Knights History/etc
The D&D arcade games
Shining Force (1 and 2)
Ogre Battle (and it's sequels/spin offs)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Regarding the Mod team ...

If you'd like to discuss how moderation works here (and, suffice to say, we find Mythos Enthusiast's summary rather inaccurate) that's fine. But it should not happen in the middle of another discussion. Please take any questions or discussion to the Meta Forum (if general), or discuss by private message with a member of the staff (especially if a specific moderation action you've seen raises questions for you).

And, we can note that we have two modes of engaging - normal and "Mod Voice" (which we typically denote by color and sometimes the words "Mod Note" at the top). When we are discussing normally, you're free to engage as with anyone else. If we are in Mod Voice, the above about discussing moderation in-thread applies. Take it elsewhere, so the current discussion can continue without the distraction. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads