D&D 5E Toward a new D&D aesthetics

What is your feeling about the changes in aesthetics of D&D illustrations?

• I really enjoy those changes. The illustrations resemble well my ideal setting!

• I'm ok with those changes, even if my ideal setting has a different aesthetics.

• I'm uncertain about those changes

• I'm not ok with those changes because it impairs my immersion in the game.

• I hate those changes, I do not recognize D&D anymore

• The art doesn't really matter to me either way. I don't buy/play the game for the art.

• Change in aesthetics? Where? What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reelo

Hero
That is absolutely not true.

Remember that The Hunger Games is for young adult readers. This is a series that would absolutely be an adult fiction series in the 80's. Remember, that was the time when you absolutely could not show on screen death in a children's show? Remember those days? The idea that what was suitable for children was more mature than what is suitable today is flat out false.

I know there's this myth that's perpetuated about children these days been all coddled and protected and whatnot. It's not true. Good grief, you get on screen murder in Harry Potter. Not just someone getting killed, but, flat out murder. You would never, ever get that pre-90's in a children's product in America.
This is from an 80s kids' movies.
82f7e8ab5609484ebaea95fe3a709485.jpg

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
A trend toward softer, gentler and more kid friendly art. That's all I was saying saying.
That is the "common thread" among these and other pictures posted by others.

But I think most of you knew that...

It's well known that WoTC wants to expand it's market share to kids, and that's one of the reasons for the recent change of aesthetic.

I just reread it. I don't see anything more than what I said there was. What is being touched on that you are seeing and I am not?
You're joking, yes? I hope so. Seriously, read the first half of the post, which I've quoted above.

Then shoot on down to the bottom, and the list of pictures clearly calling back to the beginning of the post and responding to the challenge to show what is actually different in a way that suggests a trend.

doctorbadwolf

You don't really have a leg to stand on here. Your reply literally had nothing to do with the post you quoted. @beancounter posted a link to an article about the hiring of Leah Hoyer. He (she?) included some quotes from the article that perhaps implied a kid-oriented direction to D&D offerings. Am I convinced by that? I don't think so. But I recognise that this is a compelling and topical argument at least. Your response was... I don't even know what to make of it.
Coming back to this, just to remind you of what you claimed. That is, that the post I replied to was only about the hiring of Leah Hoyer, which is very obviously false.

doctorbadwolf

So if I had my druthers... I would 100% make Sophia the FIrst from Disney jr a campaign setting for No THank You Evil. My daughter (sadly) doesnt watch it anymore because she's 8 but Sophia really is a great show to get young kids to think about fantasy.

I already see how my daughter views the fantasy genre different from me. Disney is even making undead zombies datable.

Her: Trolls are nice if you treat them right!

Me: Nope trolls are evil vermin
this gives me hope for my game lol
Trolls are one of the dozen or so primary ancestries.

Of course, they aren't dnd trolls, by any means.
I would like to take a moment to just note how absolutely disgusted I have been with 5E's pictures of halflings. To the point of wishing they'll go back to looking like Kender.
Same. It is very very bad.
I'm not convinced that there is a trend or that it's "increasingly evident that the aesthetics of D&D illustrations are changing". I think the issue is that some people are hyperfocusing on a slim selection of artwork from the overall artistic environment of 5e releases and mistaking it for a trend that's not actually there.
Yep. This is exactly it.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
If you cannot at least give folks enough slack to think that maybe they made a mistake, rather than accuse bad faith, there is no point in continuing to discuss the matter with you.

OK, sounds good.

I've been giving people the benefit of the doubt for most of the thread. Until later in the day yesterday, I've been polite, and answered questions sincerely and directly. No passive aggressiveness. No ad homiems

But, I wasn't getting the same courtesy in return from a handful of folks, so I assumed people were being jerks on purpose, and started acting accordingly.

Last edited:

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
You're joking, yes? I hope so. Seriously, read the first half of the post, which I've quoted above.

Then shoot on down to the bottom, and the list of pictures clearly calling back to the beginning of the post and responding to the challenge to show what is actually different in a way that suggests a trend.

It's my opinion. We disagree. That's OK. Sorry you think it's a joke.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads