D&D 5E Toward a new D&D aesthetics

What is your feeling about the changes in aesthetics of D&D illustrations?

• I really enjoy those changes. The illustrations resemble well my ideal setting!

• I'm ok with those changes, even if my ideal setting has a different aesthetics.

• I'm uncertain about those changes

• I'm not ok with those changes because it impairs my immersion in the game.

• I hate those changes, I do not recognize D&D anymore

• The art doesn't really matter to me either way. I don't buy/play the game for the art.

• Change in aesthetics? Where? What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
For another thing, most of us liked kid-friendly art when we were kids, but now have different, and usually more broad, tastes in art. By the time the kids move from the kid-products to D&D They won't be little kids anymore and their tastes in art will change.

I think, ultimately, the point you are missing is that many teens and adults still appreciate cute things.
So if I had my druthers... I would 100% make Sophia the FIrst from Disney jr a campaign setting for No THank You Evil. My daughter (sadly) doesnt watch it anymore because she's 8 but Sophia really is a great show to get young kids to think about fantasy.

I already see how my daughter views the fantasy genre different from me. Disney is even making undead zombies datable.

Her: Trolls are nice if you treat them right!

Me: Nope trolls are evil vermin

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
It's kinda funny that Di Terlizzi gets held up as "adult" art when his other biggest claim to fame is using his art style for YA fiction, but, having a flying critter on the cover of a book is "Disneyfied" because it's purple?

Why is it so hard for people to just say, "Hey, I don't like this." and leave it at that?

I never equated purple with Disneynification. Not sure where you got that.

If all I said was "I don't like that", this thread would be one page long, and Umbran would be bored. :)

Last edited:

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I would like to take a moment to just note how absolutely disgusted I have been with 5E's pictures of halflings. To the point of wishing they'll go back to looking like Kender.
I just wish they would stick closer to the concept of them being half the size of a normal human, like this:
1648223404911.png

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
Dude, one of them looks like a discount Mike Wachowski and another like a knockoff DBZ villains. Those things are goofy as heck. They don't have big cute eyes and soft expression, but there's still cartoony.
Relative to later versions, they are less cartoony IMO, dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads