• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trying to play a warlock...

NightCrawler

First Post
I ve never played a warlock before so i came here for some first-hand advise from you ppl...
Here are my questions:

1) Despite the point blank shot, presice shot and extra invocation what other feats suit a warlock?

2) What about a race good for warlocks? Raptoran? Human?

3) Any PRC??

4)Finaly do you have an idea about the apropriate equipment for a warlock?

Thx in advance. ;)

irdeggman

First Post
What level?

Human is by far the best race due to the extra feat. The class is feat-starved and needs any it can get.

Try the heritage feats (fey or fiendish chain, depending on alignment) from Complete Mage - they are pretty sweet.

Quicken Spell Like Ability is another useful one (albeit only available at higher levels - like your 12th level feat)

Shin Okada

Explorer
1) Despite the point blank shot, precise shot and extra invocation what other feats suit a warlock?

Ability Focus (Eldritch Blast) or Weapon Focus (Ray) are always good.

But If that is an average to high magic campaign, I consider to take Skill Focus (UMD). Deceive Item is strong. At 4th level, a warlock can have 7 ranks in UMD. Assuming +3 in CHA, UMD is +10. Enough to automatically use any wands and staves. Now if you take Skill Focus and 5 ranks in Spellcraft skill, your UMD for scrolls is +15. That means DC 25 is automatic success for you. You can use almost all Caster Level 5 scrolls without much problem. Remember, Favored Souls need CHA instead of WIS to use certain level of spells, so you don't need to pretend to have high WIS for using a divine scroll which contains cleric spells. In case of arcane spells, however, you must still be cautious about arcane spell failure chance.

And then maybe take Scribe Scroll and other item creation feats after reaching 12th-level. Imbue Item is a really strong class feature.

2) What about a race good for warlocks? Raptoran? Human?

Human, I say. Warlock is a class with caster level indeed. So LA +X race is bad. And you can fly and see into darkness 24hour/day with appropriate invocations. So you don't need to have fancy racial traits of most other races. Be a human. And enjoy extra feat and skill points.

3) Any PRC??

There are some interesting ones in Complete Mage. Some of them have interesting backgrounds (Like Enlightened Spirit) and some of them seem to be strong or widen the options you can take use (Like Eldritch Theurge or Eldritch Disciple) But I prefer pure single-class warlock, especially when you can buy or create magic items per standard core rules. When you want to use wizard spells or cleric spells, you can just use scrolls and spell-trigger items.

4)Finally do you have an idea about the appropriate equipment for a warlock?

It depends on your level and choice of combat style. But I suggest you to read at least Complete Arcane and Complete Mage for interesting rods.

Last edited:

nittanytbone

First Post
As handy as the extra feat and SP are, I think halflings are worthy of an honorable mention for the +2 DEX and +1 size bonus to hit. That's effectively +2 to hit, superior to Weapon Focus (a feat).

Still, likely best off with human for the versatility.

Drowbane

First Post
best of both worlds... FR's "Strong Heart Halfling"...

They get a bonus feat like humans but lose the normal halfling's +1 to all saves.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Actually, Halfling is a bad choice for mage type (or anything, maybe). Especially when your group is using point-buy and using equipment weight by RAW.

For a low-strength hafling warlock or warmage, even a suit of mithral shirt and several rods are enough to make him encumbered.

dystmesis

First Post
Why the heck would halflings be considered bad for a mage? They get +2 AC over a human warlock, and +2 to hit over them. And everything for a small character weighs half, you know.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Shin Okada said:
Actually, Halfling is a bad choice for mage type (or anything, maybe). Especially when your group is using point-buy and using equipment weight by RAW.
You're wrong here. Halflings are excellent mages.

3/4 carrying capacity, but equipment weighs 1/2. That's a net win.

Once your PC gets flight & teleportation, the only real size penalties go away.

- - -

Spell Penetration + Greater Spell Penetration could be good, if you face things immune to acid a lot.

If you're playing a Human, two levels of Chameleon at 13th and 14th level are brilliant. Floating bonus feat + Imbue Item = :]

Cheers, -- N

Shin Okada

Explorer
Nifft said:
You're wrong here. Halflings are excellent mages.

3/4 carrying capacity, but equipment weighs 1/2. That's a net win.

You are missing 2 factors

1. -2 str.

You cannot compare 75% against 50%. While STR 8 human can carry 26 pounds without encumbered, STR 6 Halfling can only carry 15 pounds as light load (0.652%).

2. Weight of the most magic items do not change.

While the weight of small mithral shirt is 1/2 of it's medium-sized version, other items, especially magic items you found in adventures, do have the same weight. While wearable items automatically fit for characters of any size, DMG does not say the weight changes. So, a Cloak of Charisma still weigh 2 pounds, a HHH still weigh 5 pounds, and magic staves and rods never become lighter for small casters. In the last session, one of my player who is playing a deep halfling Warmage found a fancy metamagic rod wich weighs 5 pounds. It was not an ignorable weight for him. So he calculated if buying a Gauntlet of Ogre Power helps him carrying another rod. Well, with new strength of 8, now he can carry 19.5 pounds as light load. that is 4.5 pounds more than before. But the Gauntlet of Ogre Power weigh 4 pounds. So, only 0.5 pounds of light load increase for 4,000 gp :(

[QUATE]Once your PC gets flight & teleportation, the only real size penalties go away.[/QUATE]

Not actually. In case of Warlock, Fell Flight uses one's base land speed. So actually, a Halfling Warlock fly slower comparing to a Human Warlock. In case of Fly spell, as it is so obvious that is often the main target of Dispelling.

And, if you think flight can let remove all the curses of small size, you have never fought against flying creatures which grapples or snatches.

Shin Okada said:
And, if you think flight can let remove all the curses of small size, you have never fought against flying creatures which grapples or snatches.
Once grappling enters the picture, it's best not to be a spellcaster at all. If you're not focusing on Strength and BAB, you stand no chance in grapple.
The -4 penalty at least ensures that you don't even dare to believe you could succeed here. You're only hope is to Dimension Door / Teleport away. (or the Rogue sneak attacking the grappler to death)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads