TSR TSR (2) Confirms TSR (3)'s Acquisition of Trademark (Updated!)

Jayson Elliot registered the TSR trademark back in 2011 and used it to launch Gygax Magazine along with Ernie and Luke Gygax. The two Gygax's left the company a few years later after Gary Gygax's (co-founder of TSR (1) back in the 1970s) widow, Gail Gygax, forced the closure of Gygax Magazine. Then, earlier this year, TSR (3) swooped in on the TSR trademark, after Jayson Elliot accidentally...

Jayson Elliot registered the TSR trademark back in 2011 and used it to launch Gygax Magazine along with Ernie and Luke Gygax. The two Gygax's left the company a few years later after Gary Gygax's (co-founder of TSR (1) back in the 1970s) widow, Gail Gygax, forced the closure of Gygax Magazine. Then, earlier this year, TSR (3) swooped in on the TSR trademark, after Jayson Elliot accidentally let it lapse, as TSR (2) confirms:

We have owned the TSR trademark since 2011. Last year, we missed a filing date, and another company registered it, though we are still using it in commerce. While we could win a lawsuit, we frankly don't have the money to litigate. So, we're licensing it back from them.

As a result, there are two companies now using the name TSR. You can tell when it's us because we're the only ones using the new logo.

They're opening a museum in Lake Geneva at the old TSR house, and we wish them success with it, it's important to celebrate the legacy that Gary Gygax created.

Ernie Gygax, formerly of TSR (1) under Gary Gygax, then working with Jayson Elliot as part of TSR (2), is one of the founders of of TSR (3), and confirmed in his (now infamous) interview --

The other TSR is a licensee because [Jayson Elliot] let it lapse. But he had absolutely ... love for the game and the products. There was no reason to say 'oh you've screwed up, oh it's all ours, ha ha ha ha!' Instead, Justin [LaNasa] came to him and said ... we love that you're doing Top Secret things, we have a much broader goal for the whole thing. But there's no reason for you to stop or even have any troubles. Justin said, I'll take care of the paperwork, you just give me $10 a year, and you put out all this love for old school gaming that you can. And we appreciate that you were there to try and pick up things, and you produced Gygax Magazine, for in its time that you're also working on a game that you love to play ... because Top Secret was Jayson's love, as a young man.

TSR (2), still run by Jayson Elliot, publishes Top Secret, and is not connected to TSR (3) other than now having to license it’s own name from them. TSR (3) has also registered the trademark to Star Frontiers, a game owned by and still currently sold by D&D-owner WotC.

In other news the GYGAX trademark appears to have lapsed.

tsr2.png

UPDATE! TSR (2) has decided NOT to license its own name from TSR (3):

Update to our earlier tweet - we will NOT be licensing anything from the new company claiming rights to the TSR logos. We are not working with them in any fashion.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
2E priests hand in 1990 covered it. First appearance afaik.
That only gets you half a point. While you are technically correct and @Umbran is technically incorrect, I don't think most people got the 2e Priests Handbook. 3e was really the first edition where it was core to allow someone to be a cleric of a concept, rather than a god. For most people, that was their introduction to that idea.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
My bet is that it phylactery used in an early 20th century pulp story about an undead "Asiatic" wizard.
I doubt it. Gygax was well-read and religious. I'd bet he encountered reference to it in the Bible (Jesus refers to ostentatious ones in his criticism of the Pharisees), did a little digging, and found it was a Greek word for a device used to protect something or as an alternative for the term reliquary.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I doubt it. Gygax was well-read and religious. I'd bet he encountered reference to it in the Bible (Jesus refers to ostentatious ones in his criticism of the Pharisees), did a little digging, and found it was a Greek word for a device used to protect something or as an alternative for the term reliquary.
Why not both...?

Yaarel

He Mage
I'd bet he encountered reference to it in the Bible (Jesus refers to ostentatious ones in his criticism of the Pharisees).
The descriptions of Pharisees can be sensitive if taken to represent Jews generally.

I want to point the Hebrew term "Parush", meaning something like "detached", has several meanings. The Talmud mentions three meanings, and only one is positive.

The comments by Jesus are wordplaying on the double meanings. While being a Parush in the sense of dedicated to God is a good thing, being disconnected from the needs of normal people is a bad thing.

The ironic language is a pique to be the good kind of Parush.

These puns dont translate well into other languages.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
What about the other magical phylactery in the game? Those have nothing to do with the evil of a lich, such as from 3.5:
Exactly. They go back to 1st ed AD&D at least (I don't have as much of OD&D impressed in my brain yet), and it's a broad term for multiple different types of protective items, most of which are beneficial, not evil, and have no connection to liches.

The ones liches use, closely akin to a soul jar, don't even appear to gain any descriptive similarity to Jewish ones until 3rd ed.

Zardnaar

Legend
That only gets you half a point. While you are technically correct and @Umbran is technically incorrect, I don't think most people got the 2e Priests Handbook. 3e was really the first edition where it was core to allow someone to be a cleric of a concept, rather than a god. For most people, that was their introduction to that idea.

Wasn't trying to get points. I just find it funny that done things were added to the game 30 years ago and people still have ideas stuck in their head.

Maybe because if 4E making clerics divine power source.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads