Umbrella academy season 3. No spoilers please

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Some things lend themselves to direct translation to another medium. Others don't. For example, while many old fans were pissed at how "Watchmen" didn't use the scene with the giant squid thing, I doubt it really would have played well in the movie.

Most definitely. Mind you, for Umbrella Academy, I think there are some things that I don't think played well in the original comic to begin with.

Ryujin

Legend
Most definitely. Mind you, for Umbrella Academy, I think there are some things that I don't think played well in the original comic to begin with.
And sometimes you can elevate a concept when shifting to another medium. Sometimes you toss out the original concept, almost completely, and pretty much just use the name. "Starship Troopers", I'm looking at you.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And sometimes you can elevate a concept when shifting to another medium. Sometimes you toss out the original concept, almost completely, and pretty much just use the name. "Starship Troopers", I'm looking at you.

Yep. One gets the opportunity to deal with some of the mistakes of the original... and replace them with your own mistakes :p

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Oh, I actually agree with Verhoeven's changes :cool:

On a serious note, I think The Expanse is a case study in what you are talking about here. Everybody know the book is better than the movie meme. Though, in this case the writers of the book were also the writers of the series. They were able to build on it and rearrange story pieces and introduce characters with more development. Its an instance where the series was better than the novels (well for 3 seasons anyways).

Ryujin

Legend
Oh, I actually agree with Verhoeven's changes :cool:

On a serious note, I think The Expanse is a case study in what you are talking about here. Everybody know the book is better than the movie meme. Though, in this case the writers of the book were also the writers of the series. They were able to build on it and rearrange story pieces and introduce characters with more development. Its an instance where the series was better than the novels (well for 3 seasons anyways).
Yeah, I don't agree with them. If you're going to parody something rather than playing it straight, then maybe you should telegraph that more in the trailers? Hiring a writer and director who hate the source material just seems stupid to me and I went in expecting a serious military SF, with commentary on duty, honour, and totalitarianism, but got a sitcom by comparison.

If the original author is involved then it can be an opportunity to fix what they thought was broken, in their original take, that can result in a much better work that is also better suited to the medium. Or you can get Lucas retconning things that actually made much more sense in the original release, and more 'splosions, just to pad the over-full wallet a bit more.

payn

Yeah, I don't agree with them. If you're going to parody something rather than playing it straight, then maybe you should telegraph that more in the trailers? Hiring a writer and director who hate the source material just seems stupid to me and I went in expecting a serious military SF, with commentary on duty, honour, and totalitarianism, but got a sitcom by comparison.
Yeah, I didn't care for the novel at all. The distaste of the subject along with an overzealous friend and fan of the work who insisted I read it made it sour. So, I wasn't thrilled when the film was announced. Though, sitting there next to my friend his mouth agape while I was grinning ear to ear was worth a million dollars. :cool:
If the original author is involved then it can be an opportunity to fix what they thought was broken, in their original take, that can result in a much better work that is also better suited to the medium. Or you can get Lucas retconning things that actually made much more sense in the original release, and more 'splosions, just to pad the over-full wallet a bit more.
In the case of The Expanse it was almost like the novels were a first draft. They had the benefit of going back and looking at what they done and were able to detail things more, add characters sooner, and just make the overall presentation that much better. A unique experience, but one I hope we see more of in the future.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, I didn't care for the novel at all. The distaste of the subject along with an overzealous friend and fan of the work who insisted I read it made it sour. So, I wasn't thrilled when the film was announced. Though, sitting there next to my friend his mouth agape while I was grinning ear to ear was worth a million dollars. :cool:
Well they could have at least cast Ben Stiller in it, so there would have been no question about the way they were going.
In the case of The Expanse it was almost like the novels were a first draft. They had the benefit of going back and looking at what they done and were able to detail things more, add characters sooner, and just make the overall presentation that much better. A unique experience, but one I hope we see more of in the future.
They also had to alter the story a bit due to one actor's... indiscretions. I haven't read the books (but should), so I'm not sure how much that changed things overall.

payn

They also had to alter the story a bit due to one actor's... indiscretions. I haven't read the books (but should), so I'm not sure how much that changed things overall.
That was very late into the series and very unfortunate. At that point, sadly, the writers were pretty much using the novels as storyboards and making very little changes. A departure from the first half of the series I was not pleased by. We also wont likely get the final three novels on film. Thats the breaks in sci-fi though its hard to keep going unless its the big franchises like Trek and SW.

Hussar

Legend
That was very late into the series and very unfortunate. At that point, sadly, the writers were pretty much using the novels as storyboards and making very little changes. A departure from the first half of the series I was not pleased by. We also wont likely get the final three novels on film. Thats the breaks in sci-fi though its hard to keep going unless its the big franchises like Trek and SW.
Wow. I hadn't been paying any attention to the news. Yikes! That's brutal.

But, The Expanse is hands down the best SF series on TV IMO. That was just FANTASTIC SF despite the final season being a bit weak, again IMO. But the first three seasons? Holy crap. That was some serious SF that just sets the bar.

Remove ads