D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: 16 New Feats

"Today’s Unearthed Arcana presents a selection of new feats for Dungeons & Dragons. Each feat offers a way to become better at something or to gain a whole new ability." https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/feats The feats include Artificer Initiate, Chef, Crusher, Eldritch Adept, Fey Touched, Fighting Initiate, Gunner, Metamagic Adept, Poisoner, Piercer, Practiced Expert...

"Today’s Unearthed Arcana presents a selection of new feats for Dungeons & Dragons. Each feat offers a way to become better at something or to gain a whole new ability."

Ec0zu9OU8AA8eVM.jpg

The feats include Artificer Initiate, Chef, Crusher, Eldritch Adept, Fey Touched, Fighting Initiate, Gunner, Metamagic Adept, Poisoner, Piercer, Practiced Expert, Shadow Touched, Shield Training, Slasher, Tandem Tactician, and Tracker.

Fighting Initiate gives Barbarians access to Fighting Styles, and Rogues access to Archery. Both of those are very good.
Eh, I wouldn't take Fighting Initiate before getting a 20 STR/DEX on either one of those classes. Especially not the Barbarian, for whom GWM and possibly PAM are still higher priority feats, as well.

I am disappointed that Practiced Expert is just flat better than the Prodigy feat, and that Fey Touched is better than Fey Teleportation.
I was disappointed at how undercooked Prodigy and Fey Teleporation were in Xanathar's. I'm just fine with these feats obsoleting those.

Hohige

Explorer
Metamagic Adept is absolutely amazing for Sorcerers...
at level 8 a Shadow Sorcerer with Metamagic Adept feat, Eldritch Adept feat and Spell Sniper, 4 metamagic choices. 10 Sorcery Points.

Damage? Empower spell. Check.
Twin Polymorph into 2 Giant Ape? Twin haste? Twin Greater Invisibility? Check
Want disable enemies? Hound of III Omem (Disadvantage against sorcerer's spell) + Careful Hypnotic Pattern or Careful Fear Check. Simply amazing on team fight.
The Hound of III Omem + Careful Fear is basically a death sentense.
Darkness + Eye of the Darkness + Double (Quickened) Empowered Agonizing Blast (Empowered 4d10 +16 with advantage). Check

It's really a boost.

Last edited:

Undrave

Legend
I kinda want to remake my Paladin of Dagda with the Chef feat! He was part of an order that made it their mission to feed the hungry!

The poison from Poisoner is quite powerful +2d8 and the poison condition is kind of beastly. Also, while people are complaining about ingested poisons, those are listed in the DMG, and the crafting rules allow you to make it with the poisoner kit proficiency, so I', not sure what else the feat could have added. Though, now you canonically have a way to easily overcome a dwarves poison resistance, which could make for a fun "super assassin" villain.

The biggest problem is that the poison DC doesn't scale. It should be something like '12+Proficency bonus' or something.

Not a big fan. One of the big pluses for 5e is that they have, so far, shown a fair amount of restraint in burying us under an avalanche of feats, which was a big problem in the last two editions. I don't particularly care for the "raid this class's unique schtick via feat" either. I get that they are intended to be pseudo-multiclass feats, but there are too many ways these can be opened up for abuse.

Then again, I'm not a huge fan of feats to begin with, I tend think they're a broken design that just won't go away.

You call that an avalanche of feats? There were how many feats in Xanathar's? Like 1 per race? 5e came out SIX YEARS ago and this book they're working on seems to be first major player facing content update since 2017's Xanathar's Guide. I think they're allowed to have some fun with feats. This is just three pages or so? It's nothing.

Eh, I wouldn't take Fighting Initiate before getting a 20 STR/DEX on either one of those classes. Especially not the Barbarian, for whom GWM and possibly PAM are still higher priority feats, as well.

I was disappointed at how undercooked Prodigy and Fey Teleporation were in Xanathar's. I'm just fine with these feats obsoleting those.
I think it's a better option if you want to go for two-weapon fighting - which would be a solid option with the style in play since it also adds rage damage. And a barbarian with two axes just looks awesome.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
Metamagic Adept is absolutely amazing for Sorcerers...
at level 8 a Shadow Sorcerer with Metamagic Adept feat, Eldritch Adept feat and Spell Sniper, 4 metamagic choices. 10 Sorcery Points.

Damage? Empower spell. Check.
Twin Polymorph into 2 Giant Ape? Twin haste? Twin Greater Invisibility? Check
Want disable enemies? Hound of III Omem (Disadvantage against sorcerer's spell) + Careful Hypnotic Pattern or Careful Fear Check. Simply amazing on team fight.
The Hound of III Omem + Careful Fear is basically a death sentense.
Darkness + Eye of the Darkness + Double (Quickened) Empowered Agonizing Blast (Empowered 4d10 +16 with advantage). Check

It's really a boost.
I agree, it's a very potent build! I feel like I never hear people talk about how powerful the Shadow Sorcerer is. They get the Darkness + Devil's Sight combo for free, Hound of Ill Omen gives you a pseudo-Heighten Spell, and the other features are all super decent as well! Quickened Agonizing Blast is absurd damage, but it's going to hurt losing a spell level of progression dipping into Warlock though; probably still worth.

G

Guest 6801328

Oh man I have a Paladin that would love MM Adept and Piercer.
Quicken a Hold Person and bonus damage from auto-crits.

(Half Elf Dex build with a Rapier)

That feat would also be pretty sick on an elven champion with trivantage and increased crit range.

Remove ads

Remove ads