• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Gothic Lineages & New Race/Culture Distinction

The latest Unearthed Arcana contains the Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood races. The Dhampir is a half-vampire; the Hexblood is a character which has made a pact with a hag; and the Reborn is somebody brought back to life. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/gothic-lineages Perhaps the bigger news is this declaration on how race is to be handled in future D&D books as it joins...

The latest Unearthed Arcana contains the Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood races. The Dhampir is a half-vampire; the Hexblood is a character which has made a pact with a hag; and the Reborn is somebody brought back to life.

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 5.46.36 PM.png

Perhaps the bigger news is this declaration on how race is to be handled in future D&D books as it joins other games by stating that:

"...the race options in this article and in future D&D books lack the Ability Score Increase trait, the Language trait, the Alignment trait, and any other trait that is purely cultural. Racial traits henceforth reflect only the physical or magical realities of being a player character who’s a member of a particular lineage. Such traits include things like darkvision, a breath weapon (as in the dragonborn), or innate magical ability (as in the forest gnome). Such traits don’t include cultural characteristics, like language or training with a weapon or a tool, and the traits also don’t include an alignment suggestion, since alignment is a choice for each individual, not a characteristic shared by a lineage."

Chaosmancer

Legend
As is, there are no stats for NPC halflings in 5E. There are stats for NPCs, and then there are the adjustments provided in the PHB and/or DMG for creating halflings, which you apply to NPC stat blocks to create NPC halflings. If there are no recommended default adjustments anymore, then what would a player - one that doesn't want to make them up himself, but create something "default" according to D&D lore - use to create a typical halfling?

I point this out to people all the time, but if you actually read the Monster Manual section for thos NPC statblocks, they say that you can customize them by adding the racial modifiers and abilities. So, by RAW, if you take a commoner statblock with all 10's, that is a default RAW halfling commoner right there. To give is a +2 Dex is to customize and homebrew it.

Now, I grant, this makes it hard for you to go and use such a statblock for a halfling PC, however, you can read the racial write up and compare to the statblocks for other NPCs. Goblins, Lizardfolk, Orcs, Elves and Dwarves all have specific statblocks that you can use to get a baseline (sure it is drow and Duergar, but they are still fairly close)

The issue we see with that though is fairly immediate for people who wish to claim universality amongst the race.

Lizardfolk are a good example, posting stats in this order str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha

Lizardfolk -> 15/10/13/7/12/7
Lizardfolk Commoner (from Saltmarsh) -> 15/10/12/7/12/7

In both cases their highest score is strength, in the case of the monster manual followed by Con. What bonuses do they get? Constitution and Wisdom. Which makes no sense in this context, even their commoners are shown as being 5 pts higher in strength than a human. Sure, Con and Wisdom are their second and third highest stats, but this is what is supposed to "define them" and they seem to be defined by strength.

But, this makes sense for the game, because Lizardfolk need to be a low level threat, so they can't be casters, and therefore they need high strength to be able to hit the player characters. Very few entries that aren't "hidden enemies" (Succubi, Yuan-Ti purebloods, ect) or spellcasters actually have a mental score that is higher than their physical scores, because they need to be threats in combat, and in combat what we care about is having a score high enough to be threatening.

This is also why a common drow has a 14 dex, not a 12, because they need the boost to still maintain a CR 1/4 threat. And once you break that CR, they jump up to an 18 dex. Because it isn't a matter of "how dexterous is a drow" it is "what value is needed to be a threat for this level."

My group has several basic human PCs. I've even played a few! Sometimes you don't have a particular vision for a character when it's game time, and you just put together the defaults and figure them out as you go.

And the point I was making is, if the halfling barbarian player wanted to create a human PC for once, he would presumably want something different from what he usually wants out of characters - something besides subverting expectations. And even if he did, he's probably going to rely on other expectations, like the quick builds for classes. So having default assumptions is always helpful to him and players like him.

Right, so if he wants to play a Dhampir he is, to just quote you "probably going to rely on other expectations, like the quick builds for classes."

So what's the issue? That he is going to have more races like humans and Dhampir's in the future? I feel for him a little bit, but this would be like me complaining that they are going to release another +2 strength +1 Con race, or another race with natural weapons that are worthless. These things already exist, I already deal with them, and while yes it is "going forward" we would need another five to seven years of releases to break even between the old way and the new way. And by then, I'm sure people will have made dozens of posts and articles about how to play these races that he can look at to figure out how he wants to subvert expectations.

Sure, it's possible we'll never see another traditional character race, and they'll all be unusual lineages designed to replace another race's traits. But a) I find it unlikely that Wizards will never add another traditional character race or subrace, especially if more campaign settings are introduced to 5E in the future and b) as such, it seems wise to make sure Wizards knows that some folks want continued support for default ASIs, so they can use new 5E material in the same way they use the old 5E material.

To B, sure, but I guarantee you they know. They knew before they released the UA.

But on A, do you really find it so unlikely? I've scoured the few source books and resources on the various settings and there aren't really any major races missing from the game.

The only ones I've really found are the Thri-Kreen, but in doing some research on them, I discovered that Thri-Kreen are part of a larger race called "The Kreen" involving about 11 different sub-categories. With that much variety a "Kreen" lineage could be easily broad enough to have floating ASIs.

Maybe Gnolls? But we've been told that gnolls are't going to be officially released, and there is already a plethora of 3rd party material if you want them, both "officially" published (Keith Baker's Exploring Eberron has gnolls) and unofficial.

So, what is really left that can't be done with a basic feature swap like they did for the Aerenal and Valenar elves?

Just because the player doesn't know what to do, doesn't mean it's cool for the DM to force a decision on them. Fortunately, if there are suggested defaults, the player doesn't have to come up with anything, and the DM doesn't have to force them. Win-win!

So... the player wants official defaults put forth to force their decision, but if the DM forces their decision it is bad, it has to be WoTC forcing their decision?

That sounds like a personal problem more than one that is actually going to come up.

1) What's wrong with a DM not wanting to put in extra effort? Running a game seems like plenty enough for most, so if they want Wizards to make their lives easier with some defaults, I think that's fair.

Sure, but the amount of effort to give static ASIs is so low... like, it is literally just about 30 seconds of work to make up the ASIs. And, if the player is that desperate to be told where to put their ASIs, then the DM putting in 30 seconds of thought to define a race as "strong" "tough" "perceptive" "charming" doesn't seem like too much to ask of them. Far less than I ask of them through just basic character building.

2) You realize "all the races will be treated like humans" has been a specific criticism of floating ASIs, right?

No, and even if it is, that isn't my point. My point is, just like you said, your friend who wants to play against type already responds to human characters differently, because they don't give static ASIs. Sooo.. they would respond to these differently, likely in the same way they responded to the humans.

If a player has never come to you demanding that you create static ASIs for humans, Changelings and Warforged... why would they do so for a Hexblood or a Reborn? What makes these guys so different except that they made it slightly more explicit that the ASIs are floating?

Faolyn

(she/her)
Can you create a halfling with Str 17? yes, and also a wizard with Str17, but that is not the game spirit.
The game spirit used to be that halflings were a class unto themselves. It used to be that women couldn't have an 18/00 Strength. It used to be that dwarfs couldn't be wizards. it used to be only humans could be paladins. It used to be that thieves couldn't be Good.

If I want a shorter but strong fighter then the dwarf is better option. You could create a good halfling warrior, but not with Str as main focus.
Why should people be forced to play clichés?

* Could the ruathar ( = elves' friend) prestige class from "Races of the Wild" to become a bloodline?
What did it entail?

Please answer my question.

Actually, never mind, you just did. You believe that people should play the way you want them to play. Your fun is right; everyone else's fun is wrong, and no individual can be good at something unusual because it doesn't make sense to you.
No, you can play however you want. It only matters that all people on the table agree with the chosen approach.

However, I am somewhat concerned what eroding archetypes will mean for the game going forward, but that is probably a question for the sixth edition.

Scribe

Legend
However, I am somewhat concerned what eroding archetypes will mean for the game going forward, but that is probably a question for the sixth edition.

Right now, I'm not too concerned about that. Assuming they do enough to keep the various species mechanically distinct, they could play around with ASI without throwing away the tropes and internal logic that have been present for decades.

Or, they could jump off a cliff into a 4e type departure, and be 'rewarded' for it again.

Chaosmancer

Legend
All PC races need their own personal list of strong and weak points to make difference. I would rather variety of traits avoiding boring homogeneity. (Only I can more optional flexivility to avoid typecasting with classes) Can you create a halfling with Str 17? yes, and also a wizard with Str17, but that is not the game spirit. If I want a shorter but strong fighter then the dwarf is better option. You could create a good halfling warrior, but not with Str as main focus.

* Could the ruathar ( = elves' friend) prestige class from "Races of the Wild" to become a bloodline?

So, if a player rolled stats and rolled... what was that array that guy rolled. Ah, there it is "9, 11, 14, 16, 18, 18"

This is a real array, rolled digitally on Roll20 that a fellow player posted... Dischord log says Saturday February 29th, 2020 at 3:27 pm.

Would you tell this player that if they wanted to play a halfling, they were forbidden from putting those 18's in strength and Con, because that goes against the spirit of the game? What about Wisdom, is that acceptable to the spirit of the Game?

Thing is, DnD is a game with a lot of different rules. "Rolling for stats" is one, but even that has dozen of sub-versions.

3d6
4d6 drop the lowest
2d6+6
3d6+6
5d4
4d4+4
Roll six sets of 4d6 drop the lowest, put them in a matrix grid and grab any line from that grid

All of these have the potential for a 16 or higher strength in a halfling, or intelligence in an orc, or charisma in a dwarf. And while no one is sitting here saying that if the player who rolled those two 18's made a halfling rogue and put it into dex for a 20 dex is doing anything wrong, we do have people here who are saying that if you play with the standard array and want to put a 14 into strength and bump it to a 16, you are defeating the entire purpose of the game.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I point this out to people all the time, but if you actually read the Monster Manual section for thos NPC statblocks, they say that you can customize them by adding the racial modifiers and abilities. So, by RAW, if you take a commoner statblock with all 10's, that is a default RAW halfling commoner right there. To give is a +2 Dex is to customize and homebrew it.
Yes, you can. And I think that most of the time, DMs aren't going to do that. Especially since it would involve recalculating hit points (Small creatures use a d6 instead of a d8) AC, saves, attack and damage modifiers, and possibly even CR. Are you going to put that much effort into make a nameless commoner?

Instead, what you would likely do is save that for important NPCs, or for nameless NPCs your PCs strangely decided to befriend, forced you to name, and then guilted you into fleshing out.

No, you can play however you want. It only matters that all people on the table agree with the chosen approach.
So then there's absolutely no problem with a halfling having a maxed out Strength. Good! Glad you finally realized and accepted that other people want to play in ways that are different from you.

I for one am glad that we are moving away from crass and outdated stereotypes and are moving towards the realization that people are people, even if some of them have fangs or hairy feet or pointy ears. And that there are many ways to make interesting nonhuman cultures that don't rely on where the +2 goes.

(And honestly, the idea that halflings make good rogues is a weird one. Halflings are typically shown as living in idyllic little villages where they're nearly all happy, well-fed, and chubby. Who do they have to steal from?)

So, if a player rolled stats and rolled... what was that array that guy rolled. Ah, there it is "9, 11, 14, 16, 18, 18"

This is a real array, rolled digitally on Roll20 that a fellow player posted... Dischord log says Saturday February 29th, 2020 at 3:27 pm.

Would you tell this player that if they wanted to play a halfling, they were forbidden from putting those 18's in strength and Con, because that goes against the spirit of the game? What about Wisdom, is that acceptable to the spirit of the Game?

Thing is, DnD is a game with a lot of different rules. "Rolling for stats" is one, but even that has dozen of sub-versions.

3d6
4d6 drop the lowest
2d6+6
3d6+6
5d4
4d4+4
Roll six sets of 4d6 drop the lowest, put them in a matrix grid and grab any line from that grid

All of these have the potential for a 16 or higher strength in a halfling, or intelligence in an orc, or charisma in a dwarf. And while no one is sitting here saying that if the player who rolled those two 18's made a halfling rogue and put it into dex for a 20 dex is doing anything wrong, we do have people here who are saying that if you play with the standard array and want to put a 14 into strength and bump it to a 16, you are defeating the entire purpose of the game.
And all of those methods are not meant to be used in the same game so it is bizarre to compare them. In a rolled stat game pre-Tasha halflings have max starting strength of 18, half-orcs have 20. In a point buy game halflings have max starting strength of 15, half orcs 17. With both methods halflings have lower max starting strength, it's just that with random method the variance is greater thus the cap is also higher.

Scribe

Legend
(And honestly, the idea that halflings make good rogues is a weird one. Halflings are typically shown as living in idyllic little villages where they're nearly all happy, well-fed, and chubby. Who do they have to steal from?)

I dont know, makes perfect sense to me, they are 3 feet tall, and not wide/thick like a Dwarf. I cannot think of a better being to sneak into some place.

Certainly better than a 'stealthy' 8 foot tall 300 lb Goliath. :D

Bilbo was the thief, its simple enough.

So then there's absolutely no problem with a halfling having a maxed out Strength. Good! Glad you finally realized and accepted that other people want to play in ways that are different from you.
I am perfectly fine with people playing differently than me. It is you who is adamantly refusing to understand why some people like fixed ASIs and thus would want to retain that as an supported option alongside with customisation.

I for one am glad that we are moving away from crass and outdated stereotypes and are moving towards the realization that people are people, even if some of them have fangs or hairy feet or pointy ears.
Yes, me too. Truly. I just don't think that this means that they cannot be differnt from each other.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I dont know, makes perfect sense to me, they are 3 feet tall, and not wide/thick like a Dwarf. I cannot think of a better being to sneak into some place.

Certainly better than a 'stealthy' 8 foot tall 300 lb Goliath. :D

Bilbo was the thief, its simple enough.
Judging by the three-foot-tall people who live in the unit above me or the one across from me, small size most certainly does not equal the ability to be sneakily quiet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads