D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Gothic Lineages & New Race/Culture Distinction

The latest Unearthed Arcana contains the Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood races. The Dhampir is a half-vampire; the Hexblood is a character which has made a pact with a hag; and the Reborn is somebody brought back to life. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/gothic-lineages Perhaps the bigger news is this declaration on how race is to be handled in future D&D books as it joins...

The latest Unearthed Arcana contains the Dhampir, Reborn, and Hexblood races. The Dhampir is a half-vampire; the Hexblood is a character which has made a pact with a hag; and the Reborn is somebody brought back to life.

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 5.46.36 PM.png

Perhaps the bigger news is this declaration on how race is to be handled in future D&D books as it joins other games by stating that:

"...the race options in this article and in future D&D books lack the Ability Score Increase trait, the Language trait, the Alignment trait, and any other trait that is purely cultural. Racial traits henceforth reflect only the physical or magical realities of being a player character who’s a member of a particular lineage. Such traits include things like darkvision, a breath weapon (as in the dragonborn), or innate magical ability (as in the forest gnome). Such traits don’t include cultural characteristics, like language or training with a weapon or a tool, and the traits also don’t include an alignment suggestion, since alignment is a choice for each individual, not a characteristic shared by a lineage."

Faolyn

(she/her)
No it isn't!

My option has official restrictions, codified in an official printed product I paid for.

Floating doesn't cover that in the least.
Those options still exist and haven't been removed, and are very unlikely to be removed. It's doubtful they're going to produce an errata saying that the PH and Volo's and MtF's is no longer valid.

Scribe

Legend
I’m sure there will be a community of people here on enworld that will help come up with some ASI for anything new.

Yes, or I can do it myself.

The question remains, why do I need to lose my option, when both systems could co-exist? Thats the entire point behind this entire near 100 page thread.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm not going to throw out a system that at a basic level allows for the mechanical expression of different humanoid biologically distinct species just because it breaks down.

'it doesn't work, accept that attributes are irrelevant between races' just isn't the answer to me.

It's simple, it's worked for decades.
In decades pasts, monsters (with very few exeptions) didn't even have listed Str scores. So, things have already changed.

Dausuul

Legend
The question remains, why do I need to lose my option, when both systems could co-exist? Thats the entire point behind this entire near 100 page thread.
Because your option is not a Spike or Johnny or Timmy option. It's a Bob option. Bob is a huge fan of banding and shadow and the untap symbol. He's been a sad Magic player for a long time.

Wizards supports Spike and Johnny and Timmy. Their preferences are general and can be satisfied in many ways. But it doesn't and won't support Bob, because what Bob wants is extremely specific and it's not wanted by enough other players to devote resources to it.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Because your option is not a Spike or Johnny or Timmy option. It's a Bob option. Bob is a huge fan of banding and shadow and the untap symbol. He's been a sad Magic player for a long time.

Wizards supports Spike and Johnny and Timmy. Their preferences are general and can be satisfied in many ways. But it doesn't and won't support Bob, because what Bob wants is extremely specific and it's not wanted by enough other players to devote resources to it.
can you translate the mtg analogies?
edit: maybe ELI5 since I never played it?

Dausuul

Legend
can you translate the mtg analogies?
Banding and shadow and the untap symbol are mechanics in Magic that were long ago abandoned by Wizards, because they had mechanical issues (banding is an insane rules mess, shadow makes combat less interesting, and untap turned out to be extremely unintuitive for players) and were not popular enough to keep around anyway.

Remove ads

Remove ads