Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Traps Revisited

Actually an interesting article. I'm still scanning through it, though. I like the way they discuss the traps, their creation, and countermeasures (something that was missing, I think, from the DMG). Poisoned Tempest is an absolutely inspired and devious trap! I love it!!!

Actually an interesting article. I'm still scanning through it, though. I like the way they discuss the traps, their creation, and countermeasures (something that was missing, I think, from the DMG).

Poisoned Tempest is an absolutely inspired and devious trap! I love it!!!

Chaosmancer

Legend
Hiya.

I'm...disappointed? I'm a bit of a killer DM, I'll admit, but hearing my players be actually excited-and-terrified-at-the-same-time about the potential of death when dealing with a trap... and then the pure joy and sense of accomplishment when they come up with some ingenious way to defeat some death-trap by using Cone of Cold, a full waterskin, a 6.5' piece of rope, two pickled hearings and a half-used candle? Priceless! But when they 'know' that a trap, and failing saves/rolls will result in nothing but HP loss? Well, the looks on their faces are more along the line of annoyance (as in "Oh, great...ANOTHER trap to drain our resources...*sigh*..." ). In other words, traps become speed-bumps on the road to success...not dead ends. :)

That said, I can see new players and DM's that like to have "D&D Lite" style campaigns, two thumbs up. :) The part about specifically dividing a trap into categories, with ranges for each, and then listing potential countermeasures... I can see that really helping new DM's as well as those wanting a more 'faux-death' type of campaign. But for old Grognard Curmudgeon Killer-DM's like me ...I'll have to give these a pass.

PS: Not trying to offend anyone here...just saying me and my group like our games the way like we like our contests against Sicilians. ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

I completely see your point [MENTION=45197]pming[/MENTION], and I agree with you on the simple traps being speed bumps.

But what about the complex traps, if anything, doesn't work for your style? I think those are more than a resource drain, much like placing a mummy in a temple is more than a resource drain.

Genuinely curious, since to my eye those complex traps are made for more killer/narrative DMs

But in my game if you tell me you are going to disable a trap and can't even understand the mechanism to do so is in a different place from where it apparently is set to be sprung, then the attempt will simply fail. Perceiving the way the trap works is a separate dice roll that would precede the roll to disable it. Maybe it is even part of what is discerned from the same dice roll that detected the trap. If you are the DM, you decide.

I think this in part comes down to table expectations and DM information-giving, like you said.

At quite few of the tables I've been at, it is "There is a Trap there" followed by "I disarm it". The DM doesn't give any details about the nature of the trap and the player isn't expected to ask.

Even if more information is given, some players will only hear "This statue spits fire out over this area when you walk in front of it" and then the player will say "I disarm that trap" not expecting to be asked how they are going to do so. The DM didn't tell them if it was a pressure plate, a laser tripwire, or simply magic so they don't know how to proceed. And the trap is simply slowing down the game, even if the rogue wants to spend 5 minutes talking out the intricacies of the trap, the other players may start to get bored and want you to hurry it along, this trap (in general) is not important to the story, and they want to get to content that is.

Not saying you don't give enough info or that your players would get bored with the rogue showing off, but just illustrating that certain expectations come with certain tables.

This is incredibly insightful, and would be useful in any DMG. The fact that perception should not tell you it's a trap. Perception tells you "it's a hole in the ground" or "it's a hole with a canvas covering it" or "there is a thing metal wire running across the hall" or "there are holes in the walls, about finger size". Investigation tells you that it's a trap, in some cases. The pit is obviously something to be avoided, but the holes in the walls? Who knows what hose are for, and they are not stopping progress. Paranoid and smart adventurers will investigate those. That's when they discover the subtle glint of metal inside as they shine their torch in, or the slight discoloration of the stone from the remnants of poison gas.

I also very much like the presssure plate idea in the previous comment. That is some good drama there. Put a perception check on noticing the click (very low, of course, like D.C. 10) then the actual encounter begins - how to get him off.

I think most groups, upon hearing there is a series of finger sized holes in the hallway, would immediately know it is a trap, and most likely a trap that shoots arrows/bolts/darts ect.

In fact, to me, if I was told the stone inside the holes was discolored... I wouldn't know what to make of that. Could be poison, could be a low-grade acid (depends on the type of stone), could be fire, could be necrotic energy, or actually any sort of magic, could be burrows for creatures.

How do you stop it? Well.... that depends. Trap it probably has a pressure plate. I'm either going to spot it or not, once I do I should be able to just not step on it. Or perhaps we spend 10 minutes stuffing rags into the holes. Which as soon as we step on the pressure plate and unleash the highly destructive hellfire is going to do squat.

The line is a very fine one I think, and definitely changes from group to group, about how useful any given information is. Once my players think there is a trap in the area, everyone except one of the rogues backs off 15 ft, then the rogue starts trying to disarm or figure out how to avoid the trap. And they will do nothing else until they have an answer that satisfies them because they know this is a trap, and they know there is an answer that will make it safe.

I will however third that the pressure plate mine scenario is a brilliant one that could potentially be very exciting.

raleel

Explorer
I think most groups, upon hearing there is a series of finger sized holes in the hallway, would immediately know it is a trap, and most likely a trap that shoots arrows/bolts/darts ect.

I don't disagree, so maybe the example was bad, but...

In fact, to me, if I was told the stone inside the holes was discolored... I wouldn't know what to make of that. Could be poison, could be a low-grade acid (depends on the type of stone), could be fire, could be necrotic energy, or actually any sort of magic, could be burrows for creatures.

I think the point is that it would prompt more investigation, and perhaps exploit some other knowledge skills. It doesn't even have to be super hard, but enough to get the idea that it's not going to be darts, and it's not some burrowing creature's hole.

How do you stop it? Well.... that depends. Trap it probably has a pressure plate. I'm either going to spot it or not, once I do I should be able to just not step on it. Or perhaps we spend 10 minutes stuffing rags into the holes. Which as soon as we step on the pressure plate and unleash the highly destructive hellfire is going to do squat.

yep, that's where the other skills start coming in. I think the stuffing of rags is the "well, we don't have any skills or countermeasures that can specifically address it, give me your spare undies and we'll hope this holds" solution. Against gas or low grade acid? maybe! Against necrotic energies, probably no. that tension is going to help out, however.

The line is a very fine one I think, and definitely changes from group to group, about how useful any given information is. Once my players think there is a trap in the area, everyone except one of the rogues backs off 15 ft, then the rogue starts trying to disarm or figure out how to avoid the trap. And they will do nothing else until they have an answer that satisfies them because they know this is a trap, and they know there is an answer that will make it safe.

I think in this model, the rogue and the wizard are working together, probably. Or the bard. Or maybe the rogue has expertise. Or the fighter took Skilled. It's a place where the skill monkeys can show off.

I'm reminded of the Gumshoe system which suggests that you have obstacles for every skill present in the group, just to make sure everyone has a chance to shine. Putting in mechanisms to bypass that cover all the skills, and have perception have a relatively low threshold for spotting these.

Frankly, I think a few dozen of these traps, with countermeasures detailed out to include a range of things, including Tools, would go a long ways towards helping GMs make interesting encounters. I can easily see Herbalism, Poisoner, and Artisan Kits being useful in these situations. Even a Gaming set (specifically proficiency in it) would be handy in some situations

akr71

Hero
I like the article. However, I am not likely to copy and paste any of these traps into my adventures. It gives ideas on how to better plan traps and how to get the party to interact with them.

I also don't think that the canvas covered pit trap is as useless as it seems at first glance. I can think of a few scenarios where it makes sense - the trap makers have limited resources or are maybe not the most skilled at trap making. Outdoors I would use it as a hunting trap - the canvas drapes across some weak branches and sticks that give way and drop the prey into the trap. Indoors, maybe it is not intended for the adventurers... maybe the pit's intention is to keep predators such as a bear or wolves from wandering farther into a cavern. Also keep in mind that in dim light (60 feet out for most creatures with darkvision), perception checks are made at disadvantage. I would use it to slow the party down and perhaps warn whoever is deeper in the dungeon/cavern that someone is approaching.

Goblins firing arrows from the other side of the pit would probably get several players I know to charge headlong down the corridor without another thought.

When the party perceives the trap - yes, I get that they will at DC10 - I wouldn't say "you see a tattered piece of canvas covering a pit." More likely I would mention the canvas and then let them investigate from there. I don't think it is meant to be clever - more along the lines of something a xvart would come up with.

You can play the way you want. That's the beauty of 5E.

But in my game if you tell me you are going to disable a trap and can't even understand the mechanism to do so is in a different place from where it apparently is set to be sprung, then the attempt will simply fail. Perceiving the way the trap works is a separate dice roll that would precede the roll to disable it. Maybe it is even part of what is discerned from the same dice roll that detected the trap. If you are the DM, you decide.

This I don't have a problem with, but it seems more the exception than the rule. So many published adventures are so incredibly vague in how you disable it and the information isn't presented in a clear fashion. Players then can't really make an informed decision of how to describe something they (probably) don't know how to do in real life. So there's multiple layers of separation of knowledge from player to character. To me, traps are pretty dull anyways unless they're sprung and require interaction with to defeat (Star Wars trash compactor, Indiana Jones boulder race, Goonies falling floor piano etc). I just don't have the mental energy to come up on the fly how a poisoned needle lock works, explain that to a party so it makes sense, and evaluate their attempts, all to get to the point of letting them roll to avoid a probably piddly amount of poison damage.

Imaro

Legend
This I don't have a problem with, but it seems more the exception than the rule. So many published adventures are so incredibly vague in how you disable it and the information isn't presented in a clear fashion. Players then can't really make an informed decision of how to describe something they (probably) don't know how to do in real life. So there's multiple layers of separation of knowledge from player to character. To me, traps are pretty dull anyways unless they're sprung and require interaction with to defeat (Star Wars trash compactor, Indiana Jones boulder race, Goonies falling floor piano etc). I just don't have the mental energy to come up on the fly how a poisoned needle lock works, explain that to a party so it makes sense, and evaluate their attempts, all to get to the point of letting them roll to avoid a probably piddly amount of poison damage.

I think a player simply stating they jam the spring mechanism (or even set it off while keeping their hands well away from the needle) would work. Really, for simple traps, I don't think it has to be detailed out to the point where someone would need an engineering degree to explain and/or interact with the trap...

I do think this is great methodology for designing complex traps (which seem to fit the examples you gave above better than simple traps) and stops it from being reduced to a series of dice rolls as opposed to interacting with the actual fiction.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
From this conversation it seems obvious that there needs to be better guidelines on what exactly perception tells you about the trap. If the dc10 of the pit trap says "you see some random rocks, twigs, and dirt covering this section of the hall." or "a small square of fabric is sticking out of the dirt here" and the players have the choice of being suspicious and checking it closer or blundering ahead, is a LOT different than "you find a canvass-covered pit trap."

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

I would encourage you to put together a volume 2 instead. I wouldn't buy it again if it was just reformatted, but I would pay you money again for more content. ;)
I think I'd rather be a publisher that updates the content they already released and rewards people who bought their products rather than one who just tries to get future sales.
But I'm doing this as a hobby and for fun, and view any money I make as a bonus, so I have that luxury.

The covers of my first couple books are rather sad...

Imaro

Legend
From this conversation it seems obvious that there needs to be better guidelines on what exactly perception tells you about the trap. If the dc10 of the pit trap says "you see some random rocks, twigs, and dirt covering this section of the hall." or "a small square of fabric is sticking out of the dirt here" and the players have the choice of being suspicious and checking it closer or blundering ahead, is a LOT different than "you find a canvass-covered pit trap."

Well the example from the article seems pretty clear...

A DC 10 Wisdom
(Perception) check reveals the canvass...

So you notice the canvass (or whatever is covering it) but do not know it is covering an actual pit trap.

I am now picturing kobolds who lay down random canvasses in their layers... who hide in the shadows and try to push those who investigate the canvass into the pit... who stand at the edge of the canvass and use missile weapons...or who lay down canvasses that have dart traps attached when you pull them up...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Well the example from the article seems pretty clear...

A DC 10 Wisdom
(Perception) check reveals the canvass...

So you notice the canvass (or whatever is covering it) but do not know it is covering an actual pit trap.

I am now picturing kobolds who lay down random canvasses in their layers... who hide in the shadows and try to push those who investigate the canvass into the pit... who stand at the edge of the canvass and use missile weapons...or who lay down canvasses that have dart traps attached when you pull them up...
Yeah that sounds great!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads