Vader vs Soth: Fight! Who wins?

Who wins?

• Vader

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • Soth

Votes: 14 36.8%

So we can probably assume a few things to help us put Vader in a "dnd like" contest.
  • Force Reflexes and Precognition: The Evasion class ability and Foresight spells seem to be a solid rationale here.
  • Force Choke/Telekinesis: The telekinesis spell is a good note here.
  • Lightsaber: A flaming longsword is probably a decent start, maybe mixed with a "Shatterspike" for object breaking power.
  • Probably a high level fighter "chassis" for some base stats.
Meanwhile, we can use the 5e "Death Knight" for Soth, with the addition of things like Power Word Kill.

So it seems to me is neither is going to be doing much "spell slinging" here. Both are going to have advantage to saves (Soth through magic resistance...which is basically the force in this combined universe), and Vader gets advantage on all saves through Foresight. So its going to come down to mostly raw attack power.

Foresight gives Vadar advantage on all attacks, but Soth has a shield for extra AC and has parry for a pretty big AC boost (and we should assume that a magic weapon can parry a lightsaber....just as two lightsabers can parry each other). Both are probably dishing out 3 attacks a round. Soth will also have disadvantage on his attacks. However, Soth can use staggering smites for the first 3 rounds without losing any attack power, adding a lot more damage onto any hits (and there is always a small chance vadar fails, though unlikely).

I think ultimately Vadar is going to get in more hits, but Soth will do more damage per hit (that extra necrotic damage on his attack is quite a bit more damage). The big question is.... can Vadar kill Soth fast enough before he gets below the 100 hp threshold and just gets killed with power word kill?

I think my answer is probably no. If we assume that both are roughly comparable in fighting power.... the fact that Soth can just autokill Vadar at the finish line will see him through.

Soth isn't a normal death knight though. I think you need to incorporate his abilities based on entries for prior editions (Unless there is an official one for 5E)

Stalker0

Legend

They rank Soth a tier higher than Darth Vader. That doesn't necessarily guarantee a victory, but it adds evidence to a Soth win.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

They rank Soth a tier higher than Darth Vader. That doesn't necessarily guarantee a victory, but it adds evidence to a Soth win.
Why are they more authoritive than us on the subject?

Dausuul

Legend
Assumptions:
  • The Force and magic can "see" each other; i.e., Soth's magic resistance works on Vader's Force powers, and Vader can use the Force to oppose Soth's magic.
  • Vader has too many hit points to be one-shotted by power words.
  • The magic in Soth's armor and weapons offers at least some resistance to Vader's lightsaber.
It's a tough call, but I think I have to go with Soth if the fight starts at any significant range. He can hammer Vader with that massive fireball of his; area attacks are a known weak point for Jedi and Sith. Even if Vader can use the Force to hold off the worst of it, it will take a lot out of him. Once they engage in melee, Vader has the edge, but Soth only has to grind him down enough to start throwing power words.

Last edited:

p_johnston

Adventurer
Soth. Vader is a right proper badass imbued with the power of The Force, Lightsaber, and all the star wars goodies he could ever want. But can Soth even actually die? Man is cursed to live on as a death knight and I don't know if Vader can actually stop that.

In game play terms as many have pointed out Soth likely has power word kill. So the fight probably goes for a few rounds with each side whittling each other down. Main difference is Vader needs to get rid of all of Soth's HP and hope that's enough. Soth just has to pound on Vader until he's decently hurt and then command him to die.

In the end Vader is a awesome but still just a dude who dies if he gets shanked real good or loses his helmet. Soth is a unliving monstrosity cursed to continue his existence forward into eternity.

Remove ads