D&D 5E Wait... why are we adventuring together?

KRussellB

First Post
My group and I are about to start a new 5e campaign. We were talking about our old 4e game, and the problem we had of the characters being so different in their motivations that there was no real good reason for them to travel together. Why, exactly, is the dwarf paladin still traveling with the gnome sorcerer who sold his soul to a literal devil? (Other than the fact that their players really like their characters, and really like playing together!)

How have you solved this problem in your games?

Some ideas we've had:
  • Shared group background. In addition to each characters' background, the group picks a background for the entire party. So for example, your paladin has the background of Noble, but the group picks Urchin. So despite your paladin coming from a noble heritage, they start the game as a gang of street urchins.
  • Related characters. We've had this in a couple campaigns already, but being related is a great reason to adventure together. Already for our 5e game, we have three dwarf cousins (a fighter, a cleric, and a... wizard, the black sheep)
  • FATE-style backgrounds. When coming up with your character's background, incorporate at least one other character.

Any other ideas?

5ekyu

Hero
Well, as GM and as a group you should come to agreement on some no ways.

often it can be as simple as "no lone wolfs - esp not four of them" or "no evil" etc.

I my current game we are/will - preamble - doing a thing i call TIES.

Each player must define sixc TIES for their PC before session zero.

TIES are statements of background that could apply to someone else.

"Hey, didn't i see you at so-n-so town when the raids were going on?"
"Hey, didn't i see you when the refugees landed at..."
etc etc etc.

they are simple "connection seeds."

at setup we sit down and start rolling around the table - roll to see who and roll to select tie between you two.

after every pc has ties to two different characters the rest of the ties go to me, the GM, to use for NPCs later or for new characters if need be.

After that, each tie is to be fleshed out between the two players over say the first month real time to help define their two character's prior encounters.

That gives each player a six-pack of "touches with others fitting themes i like", gives each character two links to others and gives me the GM a heapin' handful os NPC inserts to develop later and thus expand the background and person-to-your-character angles.

Dausuul

Legend
In my experience, the key is to create your characters together. Discuss your motivations and concepts, and figure out how they mesh. Make sure you've got shared goals, or personal connections, or whatever is needed to bind the group together.

(But make sure the DM is prepared to up the challenge of combat encounters, since group character creation can also result in a party with a lot more mechanical synergy.)

The Human Target

Adventurer
Why am I still friends with people who live far away and lead very different lives from me in real life?

Shared history, and affection.

I'm sure if we had fought an ogre together, the bonds of friendship would be even greater.

Voi_D_ragon

Explorer
My group and I are about to start a new 5e campaign. We were talking about our old 4e game, and the problem we had of the characters being so different in their motivations that there was no real good reason for them to travel together. Why, exactly, is the dwarf paladin still traveling with the gnome sorcerer who sold his soul to a literal devil? (Other than the fact that their players really like their characters, and really like playing together!)

How have you solved this problem in your games?

Some ideas we've had:
  • Shared group background. In addition to each characters' background, the group picks a background for the entire party. So for example, your paladin has the background of Noble, but the group picks Urchin. So despite your paladin coming from a noble heritage, they start the game as a gang of street urchins.
  • Related characters. We've had this in a couple campaigns already, but being related is a great reason to adventure together. Already for our 5e game, we have three dwarf cousins (a fighter, a cleric, and a... wizard, the black sheep)
  • FATE-style backgrounds. When coming up with your character's background, incorporate at least one other character.

Any other ideas?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/show...Driving-Necromancers-Bizarre-Campaign-Journal

This is an example of players coming up with a central theme for party composition while building their PCs, and it worked out wonderfully, let me tell you.

So, if you can tie all of your PCs to one ideal or deity, or to a specific goal (or, if you manage, all three!), I'd say they're pretty much guaranteed to work well together on a RP level.

-Ideals/Religions
-Thematic Concepts for PCs (they're a party of necromancers, or a group of mercenaries, or maybe minions to some powerful noble)
-A common goal (everyone wants to reach the top of the magical mountain, even if maybe not for the same reason. They realize they can't do it on their own and look for help)

aco175

Legend
I always ask the players to come up with two connections to other players. I also ask for 2 NPCs they may know. I let the players come up with some things like military history or childhood friends. I find some players are better at connecting that others, but it is something.

I like to have a few NPCs they know that are local and other a bit farther away. This helps me make hooks and gives the PCs people they can go to for aid or knowledge. After a few levels, they PCs become more powerful than the NPCs and the favors turn against the PCs where everyone needs them more.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I just establish the following premise up front:

"Your characters all know each other, have history together that we will flesh out, and trust each other at least enough to go on dangerous adventures together. They don't have to be best friends, but they've got each other's backs. Please establish your character ties accordingly."

Generally, I ask the players to pick two other characters and say (briefly) something about a previous adventure they had gone on together. Then we can discuss why their characters might all have interests in whatever adventure or campaign is being presented.

I place this responsibility on the players.

"You tell me why your characters are travelling together, why they trust each other with their lives. You tell me their connections and ties and relationships."

If I hear, "But my character wouldn't travel with these people." then I tell them to go back to character creation because that character is not suited to the game.

Wulffolk

Explorer
[MENTION=6919838]5ekyu[/MENTION] and I don't usually seem to see eye-to-eye on many things, but I think that he/she made a very good point at the start of his/her response. Creating a list of unacceptable options for each person involved helps make sure that everybody will be able to enjoy the game.

People tend to have an easier time bonding over things they dislike, than finding things in common that they do like. Even indecisive people that can't tell you what they want to do usually have no problem telling you what they hate doing. Whatever is left after everybody lists what is unacceptable is the list of options from which the players should build the foundation of their group.

If you end up with diametrically opposed views on something it tells you right then and there that you might be better off finding another group or that you need to be more flexible in your opinions and give something new a try. For example, if one player says that it is unacceptable for there to be character's that are not good or heroic, and there is another player that says they can't stand playing anything but evil monstrous characters, then those two players are incompatible. Forcing the issue will just lead to problems.

*shrug* Sometimes hatred trumps love. (No political pun intended, even though it fits)

Oofta

Legend
My rules are pretty straightforward. No evil characters and don't play a jerk. Also help me come up with a campaign and reasons your characters would be adventuring together.

it's one of the things we discuss in session 0 and pre-session 0 emails and discussions. I'm also pretty open about the fact that I prefer to run save-the-village/kingdom type campaigns, basically that I want heroes not anti-heroes. I once played with a guy that was ... let's just say a little too into his evil character. May work for some people, not me, so I make that clear ahead of time.

Remove ads