Spelljammer Watch these preview videos -- SPELLJAMMER minis, Adventures in Space, Trailer

Here are three of the SPELLJAMMER preview videos show during today's D&D Direct event.

Here are three of the SPELLJAMMER preview videos shown during today's D&D Direct event.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.46.58 PM.png

JEB

Legend
And honestly, I'm not sure how you could make changes without rebooting a lot of things. The three biggest changes were, IIRC, to Falkovnia, Valachan, Dementlieu, and I Cath.
Two ways I can think of offhand:
1. Make the changes, but represent them more clearly as an evolution or transformation of the old domains, rather than "this is how it always was." Explain how old became new. (I almost wonder if this was the intent at some point in development, since Valachan comes close to this.)
2. Simply don't update domains like the above, leaving them as fodder for DM Guild or fan projects. Then use those new domain concepts for actual new domains. That way you get the new, fresh ideas, without implicitly asking veteran fans to pick which version of Ravenloft they want to use (they can just pretend the old favorites are somewhere out there in the Mists).

Stormonu

Legend
I like the ship miniatures, though I have a quibble with a couple of the names ("Fish ship" is a Tradesman, "Moth ship" is an Elvin Man-o-War), but that may be marketing-speak (issues with the "Man" in the name?) and I can personally refer to them by their old name if need be). However, the nautaloid looks wrong; I'm guessing its based on newer artwork, maybe from Baldur's Gate 3?

Faolyn

(she/her)
Two ways I can think of offhand:
1. Make the changes, but represent them more clearly as an evolution or transformation of the old domains, rather than "this is how it always was." Explain how old became new. (I almost wonder if this was the intent at some point in development, since Valachan comes close to this.)
Except that may not really work.

I Cath had basically nothing but an adventure local in 2e. No city, no inhabitants but Tsien and her daughters, and some monsters that were magically created when you rang the bells. There's literally nothing to evolve in this domain.

For Falkovnia, the assumption I've seen is that the domain would be broken up and his ministers become darklords in their own right. So you may end up with a dozen or more tiny connected pocket domains instead of one big one--which yes, would be an interesting idea, because if you escape from one you'd just end up in another one. I might even do this, have the ministry buildings be connected domains and any soldiers are mostly generated by the Mists and there's no actual war, even if anyone thinks there is. Then I'd keep a slightly modified Metrol as my war domain. But that's not an evolution of the domain. It's a reboot that keeps the problematic elements of racism and slavery.

For Dementlieu, if you assume that Honaire is gone, then the next darklord would almost certainly be The Brain. And while this would likely take care of Honaire's rapiness, The Brain has the exact same powers as him, so there's that whole consent thing again. If I'm right and that's the reason why they didn't keep Honaire, then nothing is solved with this evolution.

And with Valachan, well, there's been no real set-up for who would take over, except maybe Lady Adeline. But she's an S&M serial rapist, so that's another thing that isn't really appropriate for an official book. Or maybe one of the Black Leopards, but they mostly uninteresting bullies. But either of those would change the flavor of the domain a lot, enough to make it a reboot, not an evolution.

So... could they have "evolved" the setting instead of rewriting it? Probably. I'm sure the writing staff could have come up with a way that gets around my problems. They're clever. But should they have? We still have the same problem that I mentioned before--it's the same world, just a bit farther, so why bother buying it?

And it still wouldn't stop the people from getting mad at the changes. I read a review/Let's Read of VRGtR on Fraternity of Shadows where the reviewer was unhappy that they used the word "torment" instead of "curse," believing that this was an example of sanitization. Even though, quite frankly, torment is a much stronger word and a lot of the darklords were barely affected by their curses.

2. Simply don't update domains like the above, leaving them as fodder for DM Guild or fan projects. Then use those new domain concepts for actual new domains. That way you get the new, fresh ideas, without implicitly asking veteran fans to pick which version of Ravenloft they want to use (they can just pretend the old favorites are somewhere out there in the Mists).
And then you'd have the problem of people complaining that those domains are left out, and people complaining that the new domains are too much like the old ones. "Why didn't they just call it Falkovnia?"

JEB

Legend
So... could they have "evolved" the setting instead of rewriting it? Probably. I'm sure the writing staff could have come up with a way that gets around my problems. They're clever.
Agreed!

But should they have? We still have the same problem that I mentioned before--it's the same world, just a bit farther, so why bother buying it?
The same reason folks bought Eberron: Rising from the Last War, or the Sword Coast Adventurers' Guide - to get an update of an old favorite, with rules for the current edition.

And it still wouldn't stop the people from getting mad at the changes.
There are certainly folks who won't be happy with any changes, no matter how conservative. But those folks probably wouldn't be buying a 5E update in the first place.

With everyone else, I'm pretty confident that old settings can be made to work for both new and veteran fans. Again, Eberron managed it. And I hope Spelljammer and Dragonlance, and any other classic setting they update, do this as well.

The reigars can craft special items, the "shakti", and these sounds like "magic amulets" used by henshin warriors. (kamen riders, power rangers and others). Even a group of gnomes could be the D&D version of "bettleborgs" (yes, a crazy idea, but not fooler than giant space hammsters).

Didn't want the arcanes a cosmopolis to become main trade rival Sigil's rival?

Weiley31

Legend
Which ship is the Astral Elf/Elven Navy ship? Also, dang that's a lot more Spelljammer ships than I was expecting them to be releasing for the Miniatures. Flipping cool actually.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
The reigars can craft special items, the "shakti", and these sounds like "magic amulets" used by henshin warriors. (kamen riders, power rangers and others). Even a group of gnomes could be the D&D version of "bettleborgs" (yes, a crazy idea, but not fooler than giant space hammsters).

Didn't want the arcanes a cosmopolis to become main trade rival Sigil's rival?
Wait: Spelljammer has Henshin/Metal Heros!?!?!?!?!?!?! Is this a new for 5E or has this been present since the original Spelljammer??

Weiley31

Legend
I've been reading about Spelljammer ships just now and the types that exist. I particularly like the fact that the Elves' Spelljammer ships use a lot of Butterfly wings/motif to em. Which has now lead to me looking up butterfly wing inspirations.

I think the Lunar Moths/Moth wings in general would also work well for Elven Ship wing looks and so forth.

Remove ads

Remove ads