D&D 5E What are some good magical items for a level 1 character?

Croesus

Adventurer
Amulet of Precognition. A silver eye, on a thin silver chain. This amulet allows the wearer to see one second into the future. Once per long rest, the wearer can use it to gain advantage on a single Spell Attack Roll. Attunement required.

Not overpowered, but useful when the wizard is using one of his few spells, such as chromatic orb, and really doesn't want it to miss. And if you want it to be a long-term item, you can always have it unlock additional powers as the owner gains levels.

mouselim

First Post
I agree with most of the folks here - don't give them any magical item at first level. It makes it all the more real and "human"...on top of that, it adds that level of gain and excitement when they finally "earned" their keeps. However, if it is really necessary to give something, give them items that are transcient. For example, a healing potion (one time use), a wand of magic missile (with only 1 charge left given by the late grandfather of the character) or satchel of last resort (basically a one time use item to escape an encounter by teleporting the character somewhere)...<br><br>Since it is one time use, the characters will have to treasure them and adds to their playing tension on when will it be appropriate to use it.<br>

Al2O3

Explorer
My group tends to like high powered characters, so I believe a magic item per character can work. However, at level 1 I would only use minor properties, possibly using suggestions in SCAG for the inheritor background about increasing the power later. Haven't rechecked SCAG, so I might imagine suggestions that are not there.

Skickat från min Nexus 6 via Tapatalk

Bigkahuna

First Post
It sort of depends on what kind of campaign you want to run. As a DM I don't have any hard/fast rules about anything, things like this depend on what world I'm playing it, what sort of interactions and encounters they have in the adventure and now and again its a meta thing (aka party is too weak they need help) for example.

In as a whole though its rare that players will acquire anything significantly magical early on as early adventures tend to take adventurers to places were such things aren't likely to be found. There are of course campaign exceptions, for example when you run the Dragonlance Campaign/story modules the players acquire magic items almost in the first scene of pretty significant power.

A wearable item that grants a cantrip from a class different class than they are but fits their general character concept might be something to consider especially if can be used for exploration and interaction. It grants a bit of versatility more than anything but is still magical.

I haven't looked at the DMG in a while, but you might look at the section on divine boons and magical charms. Or you could go the route of a more powerful item that has a limited number of lifetime charges or length of use.

CapnZapp

Legend
These items usually grant a little bit of power, such as +2 squares (10 feet) of movement, +4 HP, +1 attack, etc...
+10 Speed is a medium-power magic item. It is not broken at low levels, but it is something even a high-level character would desire, so I wouldn't call it "a little bit".

+1 attack is stupendous. Normally combat character gain their second attack only at fifth level, which is a huge bonus. I definitely recommend you stay away from any item that gives more attacks. At higher levels, check out the Haste spell and its limitations.

+4 HP on the other hand is a perfect low-level boon. This can be used as-is :)

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
There is nothing like a Sphere of Annihilation to teach low-level PCs to respect magic and stop whining about wanting it.

If that's too hardcore, a Bag of Devouring will accomplish much the same thing.

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
I'd say it depends upon what type of game you want to run, what type of DM you are, and your players.
Personally, if I were picking/designing the items, I'd make them things that will drive future stories. (I dont often pick items though - I roll them randomly & make stuff up from there....)

Last year one of my players simply included a Horn of Valhalla (& not one ideal to his character) as part of his 1st lv characters gear.
He didn't ask my permission or even tell me prior to the 1st sesion. And I didn't object.
I know that whatever he's doing will add to the fun of the game. And he knows the range of stuff I'll roll with.

This past week in our lv2 5e game?
The characters found themselves in a drunken/orgy party where what exactly happened to each of them was determined by a rather creative deck of 75 event cards. One of wich was titled LOOT! - draw a scrabble tile & roll on the matching 1e treasure table. V was drawn. The %roll (s) were successful. WOW.
The 4 person party scored more magical (and powerfull) loot than will show up in many posters entire games.
You know what? I'm ok with that. These are the results of random dice rolls. This isn't the story I'd have exactly envisioned, or bet on, but it's the one that's developing.... It'll be interesting.

Remove ads