D&D General What Classes Would You Add to D&D?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
The five classes that I believe are near shoe-ins are, in alphabetical order:

Assassin
Psion
Shaman
Swordmage
Warlord

All of these have previously been full classes in something considered core, usually in multiple editions.

The further six that I think are warranted, again in alphabetical order:

Alchemist
Avenger
Invoker
"Machinist" (WIP name, someone who uses pure tech, not magic-infused tools)
Summoner
Warden (which can absorb/represent "Shapeshifter")

Between those 11 additions, I don't think we need any more "core" classes. There may be benefit to having setting- or adventure-centric ones, like an "Exorcist" for a ghost-focused AP, or a "Monster" class (e.g. Vampire, Lycanthrope, Mummy, Mindflayer, and Ooze subclasses) for a horror-themed setting supplement. Maybe a "Demon Hunter" for a Van Helsing themed adventure. But with the above 11 plus the existing 13, you cover so many bases so well, it's going to be hard to squeeze in anything new without stepping on toes or just reduplicating concepts.

When I'm not on my phone, I'll dig into why I think this set covers things so well.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Does the Blood Hunter class count as a Monster Class to you?

I'd need to examine it more closely, but last time I looked, it actually came closer to what I would classify as an Alchemist. It's just one heavily biased toward "I use monster parts to make my concoctions." But it's been a bit, so I may be misremembering.

I'd need to examine it more closely, but last time I looked, it actually came closer to what I would classify as an Alchemist. It's just one heavily biased toward "I use monster parts to make my concoctions." But it's been a bit, so I may be misremembering.
In my party's current campaign, we've got a Goliath Blood Hunter (Order of the Lycan). He's the party's heavy hitter.

Yaarel

He Mage
One class I've wondered about is an Aristocrat class that comes with a sworn bodyguard.

A princeling and a knight sworn to protect the crown
A criminal genius and his dimwitted brother
A daimyo and his personal yojimbo.
A lady and one of the family's golem guardians
A merchant and his loyal dragonspawn
A count and a vampire who is dependent on the count to walk in the day.

The pair would be magically linked in resurrection but otherwise not have any magic normally. One noncombat brain and one combat brawn.
In this context, the Aristocrat is the "Pet"?

Yaarel

He Mage
The Arstocrat is the master.
The Bodyguard is the pet.
In the context of D&D as a combat game, the duo feel the other way around.

The Bodyguard is a competent adventurer. The Aristocrat is a noncombat "Pet" who has social pillar features. The Bodyguard literally needs to look after the Aristocrat, take care of it and make sure it doesnt get killed.

At least with regard to mechanics, it is obvious which character can fill out a player character sheet − and which is a statblock.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
In the context of D&D as a combat game, the duo feel the other way around.

The Bodyguard is a competent adventurer. The Aristocrat is a noncombat "Pet" who has social pillar features.
Like I stated in another thread .D&D doesn't do diegetic rewards well outside of gold.

The Aristocrat also allows for running characters who mentally can't be usual adventurers like golems, animals, elementals, and vampires.

Remove ads