What did you buy?

Which subscription did you choose?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
[cough]aol[/cough]
;)

Oh don't get me started on them. I used to work for a company that did support for a large number of tech companies, and AOL was one of them. I never worked for them, but I saw the "how to cancel your account" flow diagram, and it reminded me of the map I had made of the maze in Zork about 30 years ago.

>cancel aol

YOU ARE IN A MAZE OF TWISTY PASSAGES, ALL ALIKE.

>XYZZY

SORRY, YOU CAN'T DO THAT, AT LEAST NOT NOW.

--Steve

Verys Arkon

First Post
Went yearly. Best overall deal and I consider it worth it for just Dragon alone.
Agreed.

For the number of hours of entertainment a subscription costs it is a good deal. I can barely rent a 2 hour DVD for that cost. Don't even try and compare a movie ticket to a cinema! Popcorn alone is more expensive!

I just hope the $4.95 for 'web only' option persists once the rest of the digital suite is ready. I'm not that excited for the digital tools - I just want the e-magazines.

Darkwolf71

First Post
Oh don't get me started on them. I used to work for a company that did support for a large number of tech companies, and AOL was one of them. I never worked for them, but I saw the "how to cancel your account" flow diagram, and it reminded me of the map I had made of the maze in Zork about 30 years ago.

>cancel aol

YOU ARE IN A MAZE OF TWISTY PASSAGES, ALL ALIKE.

>XYZZY

SORRY, YOU CAN'T DO THAT, AT LEAST NOT NOW.

--Steve

Indeed. The only way I was able to win that game was with the cheat /cancel <credit card>

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Seriously doubt it. Are you trying to whip up a commotion again?

Again? No, I just don't trust credit card companies.

Who cares about the confirmation? Or does the American laws not protect us, the customer? In my country, the cancellation is binding from the day you send the information, not from when they have the time to process it.

Just because you fill out an online form, you are not truly safe unless you have a receipt of some sort. As you have no proof that you canceled the auto-renew, and they have every proof that you agreed to it. So if it were to go to court, not having a confirmation e-mail stating your auto-renew has been canceled you would more than likely be responsible for the charges.

So knowing if the system is working and the confirmation does come and how long it takes is important. WotC could claim they never got any cancellation request as the consumer has no proof they sent it.

Always get your receipts.

Also note you are sending the request to cancel to someone not entirely in the loop. You are not sending it to WotC, but another company that handles their customer services requests. Then that company has to communicate with the other company that does the actual billing.

That confirmation is very important since WotC may never know anything about it, and you do not directly contact that billing institute to begin with.

With the confirmation you have proof that the customer service person for WotC have been told. That would make Digital River liable for charging money without authorization even if CSR failed to properly inform them. That would be obtaining property (money) by false pretenses, and is illegal.

It is all a bit of a worry, and doubtful, but to keep everything on the up-and-up, that is why the confirmation is important in the US.

Odds are it can go through without a single hitch, but there is a reason to the confirmation.

Does that help explain, an would you like any other questions answered?

IANAL, but will try to provide the information I have been given about what I feel I know enough about to provide you with something else to go on when researching for exact details.
Sure, I have already received an auto reply about it. They say a couple of days - I have no reason to disbelieve them.

Anyhoo. Lot more people voting against Insider then not at the moment. Interesting.

Keep 'em coming

Thanks a bunch. I figured it would be trivial amount of time, but wanted to know if the system was working and in place, and length of time others have seen to compare with the canned response expected turn around time.
Auto renewal for an online subscription is a fairly standard model. Also, jumping through a couple of hoops to cancel said auto-renwal is fairly standard as well. They haven't done anything extreme here, they just put things together as most subscription services do.

What is the cancellation of auto-renewal like for MMOs? I don't play them, so I am curious how that works.

Everquest you click a button in the game to cancel your account, and when your time expires, you can no longer log in again. Also Everquest you could remove your credit card form your account after purchasing time, so they didn't even have it on file to try to use again without your permission.

It was seamless and flawless.

EXCEPT!!!! They keep wanting me to come back for 10+30+10/etc day free trails! My spam folder now handles those emails accordingly.

Last edited:

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
Just got a reply re: cancelling the auto renew.

Apparently my incident has been escalated for further review. A representative should be contacting me concerning my incident in 24-48 hours or less. :erm:

Essentially the above is just misleading as lower down on the response they said that it had been simply forwarded to the billing department.

Why they didn't just say that instead of using words such as "escalated" and "incident", I will probably never know.

However I still havn't had to do anything extra, beyond the few seconds it took to type "cancel auto-renew" when I submitted my request.:p

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
Woke up this morning to find that my auto renew was cancelled.

Just like it said on the "box" - within 48hrs - and nary a hiccup.

While filling out a form is inconvinient it was not time consuming nor was it onerous.

I am happy with the service.

I haven't yet signed up, but I will likely go for the yearly when I do.

I mainly am interested in the Dragon and Dungeon Digital mags, so 5 bucks a month for them is pretty decent price.

I've dumped Dungeon and Dragon in the past, I can do it again (I also have 2 lvl 70's and gave up WoW in April 2007 lol), but for now I've signed up for a year, hell of a lot cheaper than WoW. BUT let's ask the question again in Oct 2009 to see who is satisfied and who isn't.

I'm also going to buy every book until October. At that point if 4E has become a bore then it's over and I'll go over to Paizo. So far my group and I are having fun.

Remove ads