D&D General What is the Quintissential D&D Mascot Monster?

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Don't be sorry. Beholders can celebrate Christmas too.
“Do you see what I see?…”
Since it's D&D, I'm going to have to agree with you. The game isn't Dungeons & Beholders.
Which is precisely why I think the most quintessential D&D mascot is a dungeon inside the belly of an enormous sleeping dragon.

Edit: I guess that would be the mascot of “Dungeons in Dragons”

Last edited:

payn

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
lol, I love the generic dragon answers. It is indeed quintessential becasue D&D has absolutely no unique identity.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
lol, I love the generic dragon answers. It is indeed quintessential becasue D&D has absolutely no unique identity.
I think what is D&D is like art and obscenity: you know it when you see it. There's no question that HAT is D&D. You can tell by watching for 5 minutes. WoW is the same: if someone had no idea what WoW was and you showed them some concept art, they would ask "is that D&D." A significant chunk of modern fantasy is D&D inspired. That's why a D&D mascot is kind of important.

payn

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
I think what is D&D is like art and obscenity: you know it when you see it. There's no question that HAT is D&D. You can tell by watching for 5 minutes. WoW is the same: if someone had no idea what WoW was and you showed them some concept art, they would ask "is that D&D." A significant chunk of modern fantasy is D&D inspired. That's why a D&D mascot is kind of important.
I think its the other way around, WOW is more recognizable than D&D. Scrub HAT off the name of the movie and it could be warcraft, bored of the rings, wheel of time, etc... Nothing says D&D specifically.

ezo

Get off my lawn!
Most quintissential mascot/monster for D&D? But, that's so easy...

The Gnome Bard! What could be more frightening!? ;)

Designer (1).jpeg

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
First, I thought "Beholder!"

Then, I thought, "Mindflayer!" Which I then thought/realized was really kinda a Lovecraft ripoff/"homage."

Then I thought, "Flumph!" Too whacky to belong to anyone else, right?

Then, I thought, "Bullywugs?" Were they borrowed from someone or was that just Gygax thinking, "Who can get upset about killing evil frogs?"

But, ultimately, what I've settled on - too "generic" or "common" or "not specific to D&D," for some or not - is Dragon. It's in the damned named. It doesn't really get more "iconic" or special or particular to the game of "Dungeons & DRAGONS"....to present as a "mascot" critter, than a Dragon.

Sorry, folks. Final answer.

Remove ads