D&D General What is the Quintissential D&D Mascot Monster?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
So I feel that the quintessential D&D iconic monster has to be something unique to the game. Mimics are out because they're everywhere now. Beholders and Owlbears have been copied elsewhere, Mind Flayers are fully in the pop culture zeitgeist, and thanks to Baldur's Gate, everyone knows what the Githyanki are.

Even the Hook Horror is just based on a Chinese knock-off Gigan toy!

Creatures based on myths and legends are also out, even if they are very different from their source material, as are critters stolen from elsewhere (Girallons are Martian White Apes, Thri-Kreen are Green Martians, Trolls are taken from Pohl Anderson, etc. etc.).

Even Orcs are inspired by Tolkien!

So I'm thinking the answer is the Flumph. It's the kind of ridiculous thing that only really exists in D&D to my knowledge. It's a weird flying telepathic Lawful Good jellyfish that is propelled by farts. You can find a better creature, but this one is pretty unique, and has the added advantage of having been brought back into semi-relevancy, unlike other forgotten beasties like Thouls or Flail Snails.

Stormonu

NeoGrognard
So it should be something that ahs its origins in D&D. So Dragons or Goblins are out.
I'd go with Mimic. Specifically the image of the treasure chest with teeth.
I disagree - "specific to D&D" shouldn't be the mascot qualification. "Best Represents" should be the qualification in my opinion, even if it came from generic fantasy.

If I have to pick one monster, I'd probably go Red Dragon in the end.

The owlbear and the beholder. Both are originally from D&D, well known enough to be recognizable by most players and some non-players, and not widespread enough to be just "generic fantasy".
The Owlbear, Bulette, and Rust Monster were from the old-school "Prehistoric Animals" bag of plastic toys. Owlbears, Rust Monsters and Bulettes, Oh My! – Tony DiTerlizzi

I agree with the OP. For me it's between the Red Dragon (which has inspired the Ampersand in the trade dress for many editions) and the Beholder that is pretty unique to D&D.

Tiamat. Dragon is in the name of the game. The most uniquely D&D dragon is Tiamat. So she is the mascot monster for the game and should be on the cover. She also ties in nicely to the ’80s and cartoon nostalgia of the other two regular covers.
Just changed my vote - Tiamat hits all the beats you'd want for a single iconic monster for the entire game.

Cons: she wants to eat me five times as much as all the other answers, so definitely fails Morrus's criteria

Remove ads