What lore from previous editions do you wish stayed?

Sacrosanct

Legend
No, I'm not asking for a rule or mechanical bit or missing class or race. I think we all know how that turns out ;)

Instead, I'm asking what bit of lore or flavor/fluff from a previous edition to you prefer over how 5e has approached it?

For me, there are a couple:

1. I don't like the approach the did with gnolls and making them the whole demon tie in and whatever. I liked gnolls to be when they were fairly vanilla humanoid evil monsters because then it was easy to make each tribe unique without having a common background

2. I prefer kobolds to be dog faced, as they appeared in the 1e MM

3. I prefer paladins to be as in AD&D, when they fit what inspired the class. None of this evil/bad paladin stuff as a generic accepted class

Aldarc

Legend
On the whole, most of the lore cohesion that 4e provided and that 5e backtracked on.

1. Primal Power (4E): Druids draw their power not from divine magic of the gods or the arcane magic of the cosmos, but from the primal power of the the material world and the spirits of nature.

2. Monk powers (i.e., ki) are psionic (4E)

3. Diabolic succubi/incubi (4E)

4. Demons as corrupted elemental spirits and primordials

5. The Dawn War

6. 4e Cosmology

7. "Unaligned" Angels

Also, stay away from my draconic kobolds!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Honestly, I've enjoyed the lore of 5e for the most part. I think the extra effort they went through to understand their likely market this time paid off. Most enjoyable Monster Manual in years.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Basically all of the monster lore created for 4e that 5e abandoned. I guess that would necessarily include the Dawn War and the Elemental Chaos.

aco175

Legend
I do not mind kobolds pushed to dragons rather than dog-like. They needed a role since we have goblin already. Sort of like how gnomes are sidelined since we have dwarves. More so now that dwarves can cast mage spells.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I do not mind kobolds pushed to dragons rather than dog-like. They needed a role since we have goblin already. Sort of like how gnomes are sidelined since we have dwarves. More so now that dwarves can cast mage spells.

I don't think I'm following. Are you saying you don't mind kobolds going draconic since goblins existed already? But goblins aren't dog like. If anything, draconic kobolds are more like goblins now than before. I don't think there are any more monsters that are small dog like creatures yapping like kobolds were described in 1e.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases