WotC What MTG/D&D crossover material would you want to see?

I'm a non-MTG players, so all I know about that stands out to me is Eldraine, as a chivalric/fairy tale setting sounds great to me.
Eldraine is basically the only one I see any real point in putting in to D&D.

There are significant other interesting MtG settings. All of them, however, would be far less interesting if rendered in D&D rules than as described in MtG. We've already seen the deep dangers of "D&D-ifying" MtG settings with Hogwarts Strixhaven, which is about 1/10th as edgy and 1/20th as interesting in the D&D version. That won't necessarily happen, but it's like, why even D&D-ify this stuff?

I will say, anything that convinced WotC to move away from this 64/64/64 idiocy would be a win. Even if the OGL nonsense hadn't happened, that little approach to settings is putting me right off buying any more WotC products, like ever. So if there was an MtG setting which forced them not to do that, that'd be good.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Eldraine is basically the only one I see any real point in putting in to D&D.

There are significant other interesting MtG settings. All of them, however, would be far less interesting if rendered in D&D rules than as described in MtG. We've already seen the deep dangers of "D&D-ifying" MtG settings with Hogwarts Strixhaven, which is about 1/10th as edgy and 1/20th as interesting in the D&D version. That won't necessarily happen, but it's like, why even D&D-ify this stuff?

I will say, anything that convinced WotC to move away from this 64/64/64 idiocy would be a win. Even if the OGL nonsense hadn't happened, that little approach to settings is putting me right off buying any more WotC products, like ever. So if there was an MtG setting which forced them not to do that, that'd be good.
64/64/64?

Last edited:

64/64/64?
64 pages for the entire setting and all the mechanics (races/subclasses/Feats/spells/magic items/etc.)
64 pages of bestiary whether the setting actually needs it or not
64 pages of an adventure that a most DMs will never run, and the that probably 1% of DMs will run more than once.

It's a truly demented/insane approach to designing a setting book, and the fact that they've stayed committed to it even after Spelljammer allegedly underperformed is outright worrying or evidence of incredible "commitment to the bit".

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
64 pages for the entire setting and all the mechanics (races/subclasses/Feats/spells/magic items/etc.)
64 pages of bestiary whether the setting actually needs it or not
64 pages of an adventure that a most DMs will never run, and the that probably 1% of DMs will run more than once.

It's a truly demented/insane approach to designing a setting book, and the fact that they've stayed committed to it even after Spelljammer allegedly underperformed is outright worrying or evidence of incredible "commitment to the bit".
I wonder if DMs Guild would allow someone to just pull all the Strixhaven gazetteer information out of the adventure where much of it was hidden and offer it up as a "Visitor's Guide to Strixhaven." Probably not. It's a huge impediment to using the setting to do much other than run the main storyline.

Weiley31

Legend
I honestly wish they would do more Planeshift articles for the MtG settings that don't get a major crossover book release like Ravinca, Theros, and Strixhaven.
I'm happy with the settings already covered by the previous ones. And more Planeshift articles would pretty much be able to cover/give us a bit enough for ones like New Capenna, Eldraine, Ikora, etc etc. The ones that don't have a chance at getting a major book.

I feel that would be a good compromise.

Voadam

Legend
I have wanted a core setting and monster book since MtG started so that Serra Angels with some more lore could be part of a D&D game. I played a bunch in the 90s but very little since so I don't know a lot of the current lore. I have and enjoy the Planescape articles and I got Strixhaven as a gift but have not gotten into it that much yet.

The "Art of" books for the setting stuff sound good.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I have wanted a core setting and monster book since MtG started so that Serra Angels with some more lore could be part of a D&D game. I played a bunch in the 90s but very little since so I don't know a lot of the current lore. I have and enjoy the Planescape articles and I got Strixhaven as a gift but have not gotten into it that much yet.

The "Art of" books for the setting stuff sound good.
The Art of X books are really great, almost like a system agnostic setting guide. I've got the one for Dominaria and Zendikar (both settings that I think would make great DnD settings) and they have a lot of lore in them and combined with the art it really brings the settings alive. I wouldn't mind getting a couple more of the books, Tarkir and Eldraine I think would be cool.

Remove ads