• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What other games do you play?

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
Primary non-D&D games:
Legend of the Five Rings (3rd edition - if you abandoned the game with 2nd, check out 3rd!!)
Cyberpunk 2020, my first true love in RPGs.

Previous Experiences & Easy Sales:
Delta Green with the BRP rules.
Terran Republic, a homebrewed military sci-fi setting that shamelessly steals from all our favorite sources. I'm talking ill-trusted clone soldiers driving Warthogs shooting at what are effectively Zerg. Run with a CP2020 hack w/Mekton Zeta for vehicle combat & design.
Vampire or Werewolf, revised oWoD.
Rifts when we're feeling a little absurd.

Things I'm Fired Up For and have varying degrees of enthusiastic response for:
Wild Talents
Reign
Vampire: the Requiem which I find superior in just about every way to the old.
Iron Heroes
Tri-Stat dX once in a while.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
HellHound said:
I only wish my players agreed with you. One of them loved it. I ADORE that game. But the rest of them would rather play Vampire or CyberPunk.

In alot of ways, Wraith is a truly beautiful game. Alot of players complain about it because it's "depressing," but I honestly think the unpopularity has to do with the whole character design process.

Wanna play D&D? Just roll some dice, pick a race and class, and start killing things. Wanna play Vampire? Fill in some dots, pick a clan, and (you can, although it's not usually the best idea to) start killing things. These are fine approaches to gaming but it just doesn't work with Wraith.

There's no equivalent to clans/classes/whatever for players to latch onto if they don't have strong characters concepts, although Guilds or Legions can point a player in the right direction. Picking Passions, Fetters, and Arcanoi can be tough but rarely because of mechanical considerations. And after you've lovingly spent an evening designing a character, your Storyteller has carte blanche to screw over your character through his shadow. Seems like dying was the easiest thing for your character to go through...

danbuter1

First Post
I own a ton of games, and am happy to play in any of them. I'm currently active in a Changeling: the Lost campaign. It is a really, really fun campaign, and I recommend that game to anyone.

Other games I have played a LOT in the past:
Rolemaster
MERP
Runequest
Call of Cthulhu
Shadowrun 1e, 2e, 3e
Mage 2e
Vampire: The Dark Ages
Witchcraft
any variety of DnD
Castles and Crusades
Traveller
Traveller: New Era
Twilight: 2000
Star Frontiers
Marvel Super Heroes (the TSR version)
WFRP
Heavy Gear RPG
Fading Suns
Harnmaster
Werewolf Revised
Ars Magica
(probably a bunch more I'm just not thinking of right now).

Calico_Jack73

First Post
1) I love all of the New World of Darkness games. Especially the new Changeling and Mage.
2) I keep my copy of Twilight:2000 around for pick up games.
3) Star Wars SE
4) Call of Cthulhu
5) Cyberpunk 2020

Besides D&D that is about it.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Dykstrav said:
In alot of ways, Wraith is a truly beautiful game.

I totally agree! I ran it a couple of times but couldn't get it to stick for a long term chronicle. Wraith forces you to create a character's background and to actually roleplay. For the typical hack-n-slash roleplayer who is just looking for combat in a game this could be extremely boring but for the method-actor types it was truly a wonderful game. :)

Rechan

Adventurer
Calico_Jack73 said:
I totally agree! I ran it a couple of times but couldn't get it to stick for a long term chronicle. Wraith forces you to create a character's background and to actually roleplay. For the typical hack-n-slash roleplayer who is just looking for combat in a game this could be extremely boring but for the method-actor types it was truly a wonderful game. :)
WoD has Hack-and-Slash players? :eek:

Doug McCrae

Legend
I used to play a wide variety of games but now it's D&D 3.5 only. Nothing else comes close to matching its character balance and tactical combat.

I'm interested in giving Mutants & Masterminds and Buffy a shot though.

I play cribbage and bridge (or hearts if there aren't enough bridge players around).

I suppose you could have meant other role-playing games.

Wait, there are other role-playing games? You must mean like older editions of D&D and AD&D, right? Are there any other RPGs really worth mentioning?

:D

Remove ads