What should I run next? (5e PBP)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hey gang,

Sorry if this is a silly question, but where the heck can we find the play test material to create new characters? I checked on dnd beyond, and couldn’t find anything. I’d love to remake a character, but don’t know where the source material is. Links would be appreciated.
Thanks and cheers,

Sg

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Thanks! This is very interesting. I think we’ll have to wait for an Arcana Unearthed (AU) with classes before we can really play test this. I saw the intro video, it seems the AU will be coming at a steady pace, so I think we’ll be good to go in 4 weeks, after 2 AUs (I’m betting the next one is classes, and the one after higher level feats).
I’m 100% open to playing whatever works. It’s going to be fun to try a newish system!
Cheers!

Sg

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Thanks! This is very interesting. I think we’ll have to wait for an Arcana Unearthed (AU) with classes before we can really play test this. I saw the intro video, it seems the AU will be coming at a steady pace, so I think we’ll be good to go in 4 weeks, after 2 AUs (I’m betting the next one is classes, and the one after higher level feats).
I’m 100% open to playing whatever works. It’s going to be fun to try a newish system!
Cheers!

Sg

We will have to finish the Candlekeep game first, so a few weeks is probably right. I mean, go ahead and make characters now (if you like) and you can use that one, or rebuild it whenever a playtest packet drops. One of the things we will be doing is testing the "backwards compatible" part. So I have NO PROBLEM if you're a player who just wants to make a current-rules PC and be done with it. I'll let you know if anything on my end will be different than your expectations.

WHICH reminds me. I need to go around and explain how SURPRISE works in my INIT-free PBP games. I've gone back and forth on it a LOT over the years (Early on, I don't think I even remembered that in 5e it is NOT a "surprise round"). At any rate, after seeing how it works in various PBP encounters, and how it jives with my no-initiative PBP houserule, this is my ruling:

If you are Surprised, you go LAST in Round One. While you have your action (unlike in non-PBP 5e), there is a good chance that you (I really mean Monsters here, usually) will use that action to get their stuff together. (IE multiple object interactions to grab weapons, etc). Already armed characters (surprised guards, etc), will just get to act.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
So here is an interesting playtest report:
I'm stating up this Sorcerer, and he has over twice as many spells as a normal 5e human Draconic Sorcerer of the same level.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
So here is an interesting playtest report:
I'm stating up this Sorcerer, and he has over twice as many spells as a normal 5e human Draconic Sorcerer of the same level.
I’m currently playing a 9th level aberrant mind sorcerer, and not only is the expanded spell selection awesome, but the spionic spell casting really increases the potency of the character: he can cheaply swap out the lower level spell slots for the amazing lvl 3-5 ape spells. It’s terrific!
Cheers

Sh

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
So, play test report: a human could theoretically be a level 1 character with 19 in its main stat right? +2/+1 and 2 feats.

Also, human barbarian pole arm master + great weapon master at level 1.

So many new possibilities, so love it!

@FitzTheRuke, is it ok if I plan for an echo knight for the play test campaign?
Cheers,

Sg

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So, play test report: a human could theoretically be a level 1 character with 19 in its main stat right? +2/+1 and 2 feats.

Also, human barbarian pole arm master + great weapon master at level 1.

So many new possibilities, so love it!

@FitzTheRuke, is it ok if I plan for an echo knight for the play test campaign?
Cheers,

Sg

No, there are no +1 Feats at first level.

If you're going to play with the playtest material, you should play with the playtest material. And NO, I am not going to allow PAM and GWM as Level One feats. Sorry!

Please do not use this as a chance to go crazy OP. Thanks!

(The Echo Knight is fine, though!)

Remove ads