D&D General What spells should a god have?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I was kinda think the ability to Kill (with a word) and Resurrect mortals (to a limited extent) was something that should be available to all gods. But maybe I need to rethink that.
In essence they can. With a word Zeus fries mortals with lightning. With a word Apollo incinerates them with the heat of the sun(Flamestrike or something). With a word Hades kills them with death. You could even come up with something that kills by overpowering love for Aphrodite.

Returning to life is not as natural for them. Orpheus has to go to Hades to have his wife returned alive. His father Apollo can't do it. Still, I don't see it being a big deal to give all gods the power to return mortals to life. If you want to do it that way, demigods could have raise dead, lesser gods could have resurrection, and greater gods could have true resurrection.

dave2008

Legend
Blue Bolt from the sky. Instant kills any pc. Demi god up.
No what I am asking about. I am not asking about what gods should be able to do, I am very specifically asking about what spells should goods innately have. What spells make a god seem like a god.

jasper

Rotten DM
No what I am asking about. I am not asking about what gods should be able to do, I am very specifically asking about what spells should goods innately have. What spells make a god seem like a god.
It would vary with gawds and myths around the gawd. I would go with a baseline from the first 1E Deities and Demigods book. Casting time could be reduce. No material components. It would vary if on home plane, other plane or prime plane. Example Odin visiting Earth in disguise would be less powerful, than him popping into one his temples. I would use most spells from the PHB and have new spells again depending on the myths.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Temple of the Gods from Xanathar's is an easy include for any deity.

Antimagic Field or Globe of Invulnerability might be good if you want them to not be easy to mess with, but I could also see those being reserved for just the deity of magic.

Remove ads