Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Some interesting general info:

Amazon has an interesting approach to measure the success of their (myriad) TV shows.

The metric is called “cost per first stream“.

Reuters revealed the detail behind its meaning and implementation. In short, the cost per first stream is the price (cost) to “hook” a customer on Prime (which requires a paid yearly membership to access).

Per the article, “Amazon divides a show’s production and marketing expenses by the number of people who stream that program first after signing up.” The lower the number, the better the rating — and the better the likelihood the who would get renewed for another season.

Zardnaar

Legend
Corn fritters, egg, avocado salad.

IMG_20211231_112624.jpg

Very different cheese roll. Still nice. Some sort of dark bread.

IMG_20211231_111826.jpg

And my view having brunch.

IMG_20211231_110951.jpg

MarkB

Legend
It comes with Prime memberships for free, though, so it may be less important than you think. A whole lot of people buy prime memberships for the free shipping.
Yeah, Amazon's in the weird position of gaining a big potential audience almost incidentally. For that matter, the show started in the run-up to Christmas, when presumably they'd be getting a spike in subscribers anyway purely for Christmas shopping, so they've no really reliable way of tracking how many people signed up because of WoT versus for other reasons.

For Amazon I'd expect Audience Appreciation figures to be the big metric for whether a show is good for them. That does a better job of telling them whether a show is going to retain subscribers for them.

I trust critics more than "user scores" as poisoned as they are by bot entries and bombers.
I trust EN World's Geek Media forum more than critics or user scores. The inmates residents here are much more likely to be a good judge of what I want to see.
Bought it for the free shipping. Stayed for the videos.
Same. The occasional good show -- and with Expanse, WoT, etc they've been more than just occasional -- is a bonus.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Been busy over holiday break so catching up on this thread now.

I found the end of episode 8 to be clunky and kind of confusing, which, if you've read the books is to be expected as the end of the book is also clunky and kind of confusing concerning what happens at the Eye of the World.

I thought the Seanchan looked cool.

I have high hopes Season 2, since that's when things really start happening. And we'll see things like (hopefully) Rand becoming an actual interesting character, as without an internal monologue, he doesn't have much going on in the show right now.

I also hope they sort of get Mat on track and make him more like the book version, who is fun and interesting, as opposed to the show version, even before he got the dagger.

Remove ads