Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Agreed. I see they were trying to convey how shades can move sideways and basically disappear in darkness, but it was pretty difficult to follow that.
I could barely even see the shades, let alone watch how they moved. After a few minutes of not being able to tell what was going on, I picked up my phone, played a game and just listened to the show until it was light again. It was less frustrating that way.

Bolares

Hero
Lan was dead and her friends and she thought she had escaped with her baby. In the books she has to leave it all behind even though that perfect life is there for her. Making her leave Lan behind.
I think you are underestimating the trauma of living a life with a daughter for years and have her simply disappear from her arms in to thin air. For her, the third arch was real life, and that ws her real daughter that just stopped existing.

TheSword

Legend
I think you are underestimating the trauma of living a life with a daughter for years and have her simply disappear from her arms in to thin air. For her, the third arch was real life, and that ws her real daughter that just stopped existing.
Yeah that is really bad…

… but not as bad as the same situation but having to choose to leave the daughter behind.

TheSword

Legend
It was a treat to see Lindsay Duncan in Cairhain, I think she’s a bosting actress. Particularly after seeing her in Rome.

She’s going to be linked to Moiraine in some way I think. Though I still can’t get my head around a stilled Moiraine. Much less Moiraine without Lan. It feels like the Warder Bond has been downplayed and the writers have taken the view that Moiraine is more interesting when not magically powerful.

Liandrin seems to be acting a lot like I would expect Elaida to. Harsh, brittle, emotional, powerful. It will be interesting to see how the Elaida actress will exceed Liandrin.

Loving Meera Syal as Verin. One of my favourite characters from the book.

It’s cool to see a TV show being largely driven by women over 40!

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
She’s going to be linked to Moiraine in some way I think. Though I still can’t get my head around a stilled Moiraine. Much less Moiraine without Lan. It feels like the Warder Bond has been downplayed and the writers have taken the view that Moiraine is more interesting when not magically powerful.
Yeah. They're probably cutting out the whole Moirane through the archway and rescue storyline. Stilling her now puts her in the same boat and frees up Lan, just a whole lot earlier.
Liandrin seems to be acting a lot like I would expect Elaida to. Harsh, brittle, emotional, powerful. It will be interesting to see how the Elaida actress will exceed Liandrin.
It will be interesting to see if they changed Liandrin's affiliations.

Watched episodes 1-4.

Big improvement on S1. The focus on the grown-up characters at the expense of the younger ones is smart, frankly, and everything else just seems better-judged than previously. The economic use of backstory is also working a lot better. They're pretty good at making what is a somewhat convoluted and potentially exposition-heavy backstory work. Also some of the emotional work is just really good - like good performances, good use of music, good like, emotional timing, for example (minor spoiler for episode 4, probably doesn't matter if you read the books):

When Perrin understands the wolf's name, it was genuinely a moment of joy thanks to the way the scene worked and the performance from Marcus Rutherford.

That's something a lot of shows, even well-regarded shows, don't always nail, but this show is consistently getting the emotion right this season.

I didn't really have any difficulty following the dark scene myself, oddly enough, maybe my TV's brightness is up too high lol.

Also wow Daniel Henney is from MICHIGAN?! He's right in amongst all these deeply English actors, some of them really big figures (Meera Syal!) and I didn't even consider he might not be English. Pro voice work!

Remove ads