Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

Zardnaar

Legend
It does feel kind of video-gameist to me. Aside from the Fedex sidequests, we have convenient teleportation points connecting key locations so we don't need to bother with travel. Was this in the books?

They were in the books cant remember the details though (read first 6 or 7 2000-2002ish).

It does feel kind of video-gameist to me. Aside from the Fedex sidequests, we have convenient teleportation points connecting key locations so we don't need to bother with travel. Was this in the books?
Yes they were, but they were dangerous to travel through due to them being corrupted, personified by Machin Shin, the dark wind (as seen in Season 1). Although the show didn't outright say it, in the book Liandrin had a way to stave off Machin Shin during her trip from the White Tower to Falme with Egwene and the rest a few episodes ago, and I assume Lanfear will be able to do as well.

I must say, I’ve been very pleasantly surprised by this season. Lanfear is excellent, Ishmael is likeable, The damane scenes are very well done, as are the Aiel (one of the big risks imho) and I find I’m liking everyone, all the time.

It also feels like it’s getting back on track meta plot wise. Falme is a pivotal moment and everyone’s being brought together. Excellent.
One place where the show has excelled is in making the villains much more interesting, not just mustache-twirling baddies. Liandrin is a cardboard cutout villain in the book; the show has actually made her more well-rounded and even somewhat sympathetic at times. Even Lanfear, who is already more well-rounded in the books, is a much more interesting character in the show. I hope they nail the remaining Forsaken casting like they have with the first two...

I think it's kind of more like WoT influenced so many videogames that it's hard to separate it from them. In 1990s it was kind of inescapable.

And yeah it's in the books as mentioned. Don't worry though Jordan managed to waste literally thousands of pages on needless descriptive text which furthered neither atmosphere/world-building nor characterisation even without that extra travel!

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I think it's kind of more like WoT influenced so many videogames that it's hard to separate it from them. In 1990s it was kind of inescapable.

And yeah it's in the books as mentioned. Don't worry though Jordan managed to waste literally thousands of pages on needless descriptive text which furthered neither atmosphere/world-building nor characterisation even without that extra travel!

Hey, (from what I recall) if you were a (clothing) button aficionado, boy did Jordan have your back!

Zardnaar

Legend
The pace picks up again!*

*: around Book 11.

These days you need to get me and hold me book 1.

TV shows better improve by season 2 if it's a short show otherwise episode 6-8 in older 22 episode show.

New Trek gets flak but managed to watch them unlike Voyager and S1 and 2 TNG (cherry picked a few episodes).

TheSword

Legend
I think because WOT is really Tier 3-4 stuff in a world spanning story you need to be able to get about the place. The ways are the early Tier 1-2 method but they get far more creative as the books go on. By the end they’re zipping all over the place apart from poor Matt who’s left marching with the Band.

Remove ads