Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Without a doubt, that was the intent. And I'm not saying it serves no purpose. I'm just saying there were more important things they could have spent that time on.
Possibly true. I haven't read the books, but by all indications, 8 episodes a season is darn short to try to cover the events. This setup may pay storytelling dividends later, though.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Possibly true. I haven't read the books, but by all indications, 8 episodes a season is darn short to try to cover the events. This setup may pay storytelling dividends later, though.
They literally skip over most of the book. At least they have a whole series plan in place, to make it their own thing.

Bolares

Hero
I'm listenning to the book... Jordan sure does take his time to make anything happen :p.Baerlon was a good cut from the series, nothing really happened that could only happen there. The shad Rand encounter was pointless...

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm listenning to the book... Jordan sure does take his time to make anything happen :p.Baerlon as a good cut from the series, nothing really happened that could only happen there. The shad Rand encounter was pointless...
He takes his time.

There are several important things that happen in Baerlon specifically: Rand's Channeling sickness, meeting Min Farshaw (who ends up being the #7 viewpoint character by word count in the series, the most of anyone other than the Villagers and Moraine), the initiation of a feud with the Borneholds.

The Shade scene is amazing just for the sense of atmosphere in the prose and the milk spit double take that Rand does. The encounters with dark forces in this book are a drip drip form of torture driving the characters to desperation and near insanity by the end. The show moves a bit too fast to get that across, it seems.

The main thing that Baerlon specifically provides over the course of the book is a sense of scale. It's about 50-60 miles from Edmond's Field, and is bout the extent of the distance the youths can even imagine geographically, but us just the start of this journey, which gets detailed out very carefully. No flash forwards here.

Bolares

Hero
He takes his time.

There are several important things that happen in Baerlon specifically: Rand's Channeling sickness, meeting Min Farshaw (who ends up being the #7 viewpoint character by word count in the series, the most of anyone other than the Villagers and Moraine), the initiation of a feud with the Borneholds.

The Shade scene is amazing just for the sense of atmosphere in the prose and the milk spit double take that Rand does. The encounters with dark forces in this book are a drip drip form of torture driving the characters to desperation and near insanity by the end. The show moves a bit too fast to get that across, it seems.

The main thing that Baerlon specifically provides over the course of the book is a sense of scale. It's about 50-60 miles from Edmond's Field, and is bout the extent of the distance the youths can even imagine geographically, but us just the start of this journey, which gets detailed out very carefully. No flash forwards here.
I know a lot happens there. I said nothing really happened that could only happen there. :)

About the shade... I don't know, it made a shade feel really mundane to me. I was under the impression a shade was a really dangerous being, but nothing really happens to rand (besides him being terrified) when a shade gets that close to him.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I know a lot happens there. I said nothing really happened that could only happen there. :)

About the shade... I don't know, it made a shade feel really mundane to me. I was under the impression a shade was a really dangerous being, but nothing really happens to rand (besides him being terrified) when a shade gets that close to him.
Fair point: I think the showrunners are perfectly right to condense, combine and streamline the story for screen. As written, it is unfilmable, due to it's literary density.

For Jordan, the little details like the personalities of village innkeepers and the set up of different taverns is almost as important as the entire story. Not conducive to the pacing, but rich for worldbuilding.

Shades are nasty, but not impossible to handle. They suffer pretty quickly from power inflation on the part of the protagonists.

Bolares

Hero
Fair point: I think the showrunners are perfectly right to condense, combine and streamline the story for screen. As written, it is unfilmable, due to it's literary density.

For Jordan, the little details like the personalities of village innkeepers and the set up of different taverns is almost as important as the entire story. Not conducive to the pacing, but rich for worldbuilding.

Shades are nasty, but not impossible to handle. They suffer pretty quickly from power inflation on the part of the protagonists.
I was mostly joking about Jordan. He is kind of a slow burn, but I find his writing pleasant to read, when I'm not in a hurry. The shade scene, I'd be ok with if the shade had an obstacle between it and rand for that whole time. I can't see a reason why the shade didn't just take rand out of there immediately.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was mostly joking about Jordan. He is kind of a slow burn, but I find his writing pleasant to read, when I'm not in a hurry. The shade scene, I'd be ok with if the shade had an obstacle between it and rand for that whole time. I can't see a reason why the shade didn't just take rand out of there immediately.
When push comes to shove, it's a coward, and wasn't about to be caught in a pincer maneuver in a hallway that could lead to it's death. And it is under orders to not take out the boys, and is there as a scout.

Remove ads