Wheel of Time Full Trailer is out *No Spoilers Please*

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Pretty sure that is Tam al'Thor.
Much older and less....farm-strength looking, than I imagined, but he's a great actor. I have trouble imagining being intimidated by him, but I'm sure he'll pull off the key points of the character in spite of not being imposing.
Sophie Okenado is Siuan Sanche, per the cast listings.
Yeah I find the process of following all this stuff in that much detail pretty exhausting, so I'm not surprised I don't know who is playing who.

MarkB

Legend
I’m referring to @Garthanos laughing at a post calling for a spoiler tag. For a thread about a trailer where people have posted saying they don’t know it but plan on watching. I get that you and Parmander and others have read some or part, but there is a difference between referencing a characters name or a place vs mentioning the outcome of a major plot event.

It’s just common courtesy. Or mark the whole thread as spoilerific so people can choose not to comment. That wasn’t the intention here though. It was to gauge reaction to the new trailer.

Maybe it’s just me and people don’t have an issue with it. In the other forums/discord’s I post you’d be crucified for sharing that kind of info though.
I appreciate it. I may not be sold on the series from this trailer, but if I do find myself enjoying it, I'd much prefer to experience the story without spoilers. And it'd be nice to think we'd be able to then discuss the series on this forum without people posting book spoilers.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Looks like its going to be right between The Witcher and Game of Thrones in terms of execution. An ok spot to be I suppose, guess we will see when it launches.
Hmmm I dont know the Wheel of Time source material but Im far more interested in this than I was in the Witcher or any other fantasy offering thats come out lately (I only started watching GoT at the end of season 4).

I dont mind generic fantasy TV if its got an interesting story and cool interesting magic fx

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I’m just at a loss as to what in the trailer is “generic”. I mean...the characters are human and there is magic? That's....about it.

So as someone who has read the books, and largely did understand most of the references in this trailer... I would agree that for someone who knows zilch about the books, this teaser probably would look generic.

There isn't a ton said in this trailer beyond "Darkness is coming, and people use magic to combat that darkness!" One doesn't really get the actual plot or uniqueness of this series here beyond that.

This Witcher trailer does a much better job overall... it's very focused on a singular character (Geralt) and actually drives home that the series revolves around him and a lot of that internal struggle.

There isn't much of that in this WoT teaser. Which, to be clear, it's just a teaser so has little to do with the series actual quality.

Only thing that really stood out to me much as a fan is that they seemed to highlight Egwene more than Ran (who I thought was supposed to be the main character!) and that the Myrdraal seemed like a very good depiction (creepy mouth!)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So as someone who has read the books, and largely did understand most of the references in this trailer... I would agree that for someone who knows zilch about the books, this teaser probably would look generic.

There isn't a ton said in this trailer beyond "Darkness is coming, and people use magic to combat that darkness!" One doesn't really get the actual plot or uniqueness of this series here beyond that.

This Witcher trailer does a much better job overall... it's very focused on a singular character (Geralt) and actually drives home that the series revolves around him and a lot of that internal struggle.

There isn't much of that in this WoT teaser. Which, to be clear, it's just a teaser so has little to do with the series actual quality.

Only thing that really stood out to me much as a fan is that they seemed to highlight Egwene more than Ran (who I thought was supposed to be the main character!) and that the Myrdraal seemed like a very good depiction (creepy mouth!)
The Mydraal really made me jump, very cool depiction.

Who the "main character" of the Wheel of Time is super complicated, though I won't go into detail to avoid spoilers: sure, Rand is pretty darn central to the whole enterprise, but Egwene, Mat, Nyneave, Lan, and Perrin are all extremely important and have a lot happen to them over just the initial two books. A TV show doesn't have a narrative viewpoint like the book does, and even the most Rand-centric books aren't all Rand, all the time: for this season, 79% of the word count for the first book, but down to 53% of the word count for the second book. And the non-Rand characters are still important in the material originally seen through his eyes.

TheSword

Legend
My preference is not to get plot elements in a trailer to be honest. If there’s one thing that gets on my goat (other than untagged spoilers) is when trailers give too much away… which come to think of it, is kind of like a spoiler.

Totally agree with the other comments though.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

Reminds me of the issue of the World of Warcraft movie if you were a fan you were going wow I have interacted with that character and I have been there and so on. If you werent into the game it didnt fly too high.
The series I am hoping will be sweet highly dependent on actors and directors it is a wait and see.
Loved the Myrdraal too.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My preference is not to get plot elements in a trailer to be honest. If there’s one thing that gets on my goat (other than untagged spoilers) is when trailers give too much away… which come to think of it, is kind of like a spoiler.

Totally agree with the other comments though.
I apologise

Puddles

Adventurer
The trailer looks cool, I’ll definitely give it a watch!

I read the first 3 books in the series (15 years ago) but recognise nothing in the trailer lol. Where’s Rand?

Remove ads