• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E When do you think the revised fighter will be released?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
But IMO the bigger issue is that Barbarians and Paladins are very interesting classes to play both mechanically and RP wise, compared to the somewhat broad nature of fighters where the subclasses really dont help build a story or sense of character.

It is up to you, as a roleplayer, to build that story. Do you want to be a samurai from a faraway land? A diestro fencing master? A Viking at home on land and sea? A horse archer from the steppes?

All these characters, and more, can be created quite well with the fighter class and an appropriate background.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Tony Vargas

Legend
If you don't like the 5e Monk, your issue isn't the class design, your issue (again, IMO) is the Monk class.
I'm very much not a fan of the Monk class, and I can't find anything particularly nice to say about the 5e class design (or the 4e class design, or the 3e... and the less said about the original, the better).
OTOH, the 13A Monk is a surprisingly good design.

Quality of design and desirability of concept are separable. So, for that matter is the effectiveness of the result. The 3e fighter might have been Tier 5, but it was a very elegant design, for another instance.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I think, if we are going to compare the fighter to the paladin, that the problem is that the paladin is a bit OP...

After seeing the party's paladin teleport around and blast people with moonbeam (or whatever that spell is called), on top of being able to smite, cast shield of faith and heal... I mean why play an eldrich knight? (sorry for the cross-thread grumbling)

Raith5

Adventurer
It is up to you, as a roleplayer, to build that story. Do you want to be a samurai from a faraway land? A diestro fencing master? A Viking at home on land and sea? A horse archer from the steppes?

All these characters, and more, can be created quite well with the fighter class and an appropriate background.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

I agree that these RP options are possible and desirable but the subclasses dont really support such subtle variations of archetype. Because the subclasses are largely variations of mechanics it leaves the class a bit dry (for me). I would like to see the subclasses defined by an actual fighting style, so that you can have a class defined by the weapons they use.

I dont think the fighter is completely off the reservation in terms of power or absolutely must be revised, but compared the to defensive might of the Barabarian and the offensive prowess of the Paladin, I wish the fighter had a more distinct feeling.

I agree that these RP options are possible and desirable but the subclasses dont really support such subtle variations of archetype. Because the subclasses are largely variations of mechanics it leaves the class a bit dry (for me). I would like to see the subclasses defined by an actual fighting style, so that you can have a class defined by the weapons they use.

I dont think the fighter is completely off the reservation in terms of power or absolutely must be revised, but compared the to defensive might of the Barabarian and the offensive prowess of the Paladin, I wish the fighter had a more distinct feeling.

For what it's worth, Mearls agrees with you. Many threads about that topic! I think the really interesting thing will be to see what the new Fighter subclasses in XGtE look like. Fluff heavy concept classes, or crunchy and flexible chassises?

Razamis

First Post
With ranger being fixed, the fighter is now the weakest class by a large margin. When do you think they will get an update?

This is completely bonkers as far as I'm concerned. Fighter is one of the strongest classes in the game. Fighter also uses the most broken feat in the entire game the best.. Great Weapon Master. At level 20 a fighter gets 4 attacks with two action surges for a 2 turn total of 16 attacks... the fighter could very well slay a dragon by them self.

Razamis

First Post
I think, if we are going to compare the fighter to the paladin, that the problem is that the paladin is a bit OP...

After seeing the party's paladin teleport around and blast people with moonbeam (or whatever that spell is called), on top of being able to smite, cast shield of faith and heal... I mean why play an eldrich knight? (sorry for the cross-thread grumbling)

An Eldritch knight can have 8 attacks in one turn.. two turns in a row.. and use the Shield spell for +5 AC when needed, and has Counterspell. Given how absolutely broken the Great Weapon Master feat is, I would take an Eldritch Knight over a paladin any day. I also would not overlook those two extra ASI that a fighter gets, if your group is using the rules that the game was balanced for (not rolling for stats) but the standard array, they become all the more important.

The most compelling argument for a paladin is, imho, the level 6 Aura of Protection.

Remove ads