• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where is the National Guard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Funny how all of these objections evaporate when it comes to exercising the 2nd Amendment.

Note that people doing so are usually quite willing to spend hundreds of dollars for the guns and ammunition to do it. Charging a little more for better licensing and regulation is a better fit than for voting. Voting is otherwise free. Moreover, you can fully participate in American democracy without exercising 2nd amendment rights - not so being unable to vote.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Fair enough. The only talk radio I get where I'm at is right wing, which I listen to on the way to and from work. So it's possible I'm only hearing one side of it.
You're on the internet. Are we to believe that you only visit right wing sites?

That aside, you choose to characterize the entire right by way of your listening to a radio show. That's extremely ironic.

Fair enough. The only talk radio I get where I'm at is right wing, which I listen to on the way to and from work. So it's possible I'm only hearing one side of it.

I think there is some bad stuff on talk radio. Personally I am not a fan of right wing talk radio, but because I did delivery I worked with lots of people who did and got to know them. At the end of the day I still disagreed with them on many political points, but they weren't monsters. Even here in Boston we have talk radio (though the big talk station went under a few years ago).

I was thinking more about internet media and social media though, where it feels like both sides are a lot more interested in point scoring and name calling than get at truth. Like I said, I am liberal, but when a new event occurs, I like to take time to understand it, look at it from a few angles and get what data I can before making posts about it. But a lot of what I see from otherwise thoughtful and intelligent people are immediate calls for the most extreme response to anything the moment it occurs. You have to pick sides right away and if you don't it is because your evil. I just don't think you can honestly analyze events in seconds like that. Distilling that into pejorative that stop the conversation doesn't help either side in my view. I do think some of these labels are accurate in cases. But they get so overused that they become meaningless and have no power by the time they do need to be invoked. I feel like we are just really oversimplifying things for ourselves to make the other side easily tagged as evil (rather than simply incorrect, misguided, etc). I'm guilty of it too. If we all took a step back, recognize that both sides will be here for a very long time, and actually talk and listen, we might be able to get somewhere.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Funny how all of these objections evaporate when it comes to exercising the 2nd Amendment.

A person does not have a deadline to exercise their second amendment rights, so the time required to get the documents doesn't matter. By contrast, in most cases you can't vote the day after election day.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
Note that people doing so are usually quite willing to spend hundreds of dollars for the guns and ammunition to do it. Charging a little more for better licensing and regulation is a better fit than for voting. Voting is otherwise free. Moreover, you can fully participate in American democracy without exercising 2nd amendment rights - not so being unable to vote.

Leftists are willing to put all kinds of barriers and red tape between citizens and their 2nd Amendment rights (the more the merrier on that score), but a $10 ID every 10 years and the sky's falling.

Harder to fully participate in defending yourself without exercising 2nd Amendment rights, though. Self-defense is much more primal than voting rights ('specially in our current Tweedledee vs. Tweedledum system).

Morlock

Banned
Banned
A person does not have a deadline to exercise their second amendment rights, so the time required to get the documents doesn't matter. By contrast, in most cases you can't vote the day after election day.

How hard is it to get the paperwork (birth certificate, etc.), most of which you already need for something else anyway, and keep it in a drawer? Then take that to a DMV at some point in the two years between elections, and get an ID that will last you the next 5-10 years (and can, at least in my state, renew online)?

MechaPilot

Explorer
How hard is it to get the paperwork (birth certificate, etc.), most of which you already need for something else anyway, and keep it in a drawer?

You were just complaining about the difficulties of such with regard to exercising 2nd amendment rights. Either it's onerous or not. I don't care which one you choose, but make up your mind.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
You were just complaining about the difficulties of such with regard to exercising 2nd amendment rights. Either it's onerous or not. I don't care which one you choose, but make up your mind.

There are myriad barriers (all erected by the left, or the statists, or both) on various forms of 2nd Amendment rights that are far more onerous than getting an ID (try the form for SBR/suppressor some time), and the left doesn't give a crap. Ergo, we're not really discussing principles when it come to voter ID. That was my point.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Leftists are willing to put all kinds of barriers and red tape between citizens and their 2nd Amendment rights (the more the merrier on that score), but a $10 ID every 10 years and the sky's falling.

Sky falling? No. Voter suppression? Yes.
I also note that whatever onerous restrictions you think the left are putting on gun ownership, somehow we manage to have more guns in Americans' hands than we have Americans. The latest stats say there are 112 firearms out there per 100 people. Clearly those barriers, supported by about 72% of the US population (considerably more than those identifying as liberal), aren't doing squat.

Harder to fully participate in defending yourself without exercising 2nd Amendment rights, though. Self-defense is much more primal than voting rights ('specially in our current Tweedledee vs. Tweedledum system).

Much more primal? Not when it comes to participation in the political system and that deals with issues far broader than self-defense. When you consider that people are about 32x more likely to kill themselves than an assailant, maybe self-defense should be considered a much smaller issue than "primal".

MechaPilot

Explorer
There are myriad barriers (all erected by the left, or the statists, or both) on various forms of 2nd Amendment rights that are far more onerous than getting an ID (try the form for SBR/suppressor some time), and the left doesn't give a crap. Ergo, we're not really discussing principles when it come to voter ID. That was my point.

Your point is inaccurate. Unless you are casting a vote to kill someone, voting doesn't kill. Firearms, by contrast, have the primary purpose of wounding living things and/or taking the lives of living things.

Also, a suppressor is not a firearm. It is an accessory that is not necessary to the exercise of one's second amendment rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads