• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where is the National Guard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Yes, you are right. There are other sources that I use. So I go back to my original statement. It is the Right that is far more likely to misrepresenting the Left. I'm sure it does happen the other way around ("Cling to God and guns" for example), but it is far less prevalent.

Go back through this thread and see who assigns beliefs to the other side.

And again, I'm not assigning beliefs to the other side, I'm just pointing out that it has been done.

Wait, are you being serious? You assign your beliefs to the right (that they are more likely to misrepresent the left) and then actually say that you're not assigning beliefs to the right? Come on, this is a performance piece, now, right?

Go check out the other politics thread here, and see how often the right is categorized as racists, for just one example. Heck, in this thread the idiots in Oregon have been called Yee Hawists and Y'all Queda (despite the fact that they don't say y'all out there). There have been distinct calls for the extermination of those idiots by people identifying as leftists. Like, they wanted them all killed. And it's the right that misrepresents the left more often. Dude, you need to get new glasses, because that's the standard tone of political discourse in the US for both sides.

And, to be perfectly clear, I'm very often disgusted by my own ideological side for the crappy name calling and assumptions of evil they make. I, quite often, get yelled at by both sides.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Wait, are you being serious? You assign your beliefs to the right (that they are more likely to misrepresent the left) and then actually say that you're not assigning beliefs to the right? Come on, this is a performance piece, now, right?

Go check out the other politics thread here, and see how often the right is categorized as racists, for just one example. Heck, in this thread the idiots in Oregon have been called Yee Hawists and Y'all Queda (despite the fact that they don't say y'all out there). There have been distinct calls for the extermination of those idiots by people identifying as leftists. Like, they wanted them all killed. And it's the right that misrepresents the left more often. Dude, you need to get new glasses, because that's the standard tone of political discourse in the US for both sides.

And, to be perfectly clear, I'm very often disgusted by my own ideological side for the crappy name calling and assumptions of evil they make. I, quite often, get yelled at by both sides.

1. The Bundy led militia isn't from Oregon. They are from other states. So regardless if people living in eastern Oregon say "y'all" (which some do. I know. I grew up in Wallowa), the militia aren't even from the state.

2. You said people wanted them exterminated. Who? I know of one person. Who were the others?

But if you want objective data, FOX news constantly rates as the "news" organization with the highest level of misrepresentation and falsehoods. Way more than any other organization, let alone "leftist" ones like MSNBC. So objectively, it does seem the right lies more than the left.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I have 3 guns currently in my house. Now that my kids are getting older I'm considering getting rid of them.

If you don't want to get rid of them I'd suggest a safe. I keep my arms in a safe. In my case it's not to prevent children from getting into them (I don't have kids), but to make it harder for criminals to steal them if someone breaks in while my roommate and I are out of the house.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal evidence.

Lord Twig

Adventurer

I am not assigning a belief. I am making an observation.

Now if I said, "Supporting gun rights will kill more people. You want to kill more people!" That would be what I'm talking about.

I saw the Yee Hawists and Y'all Queda as jokes, and nothing more.

I can see the argument that the Left portrays the Right as racist some times, and I will agree that that is not right. But it is not always that way. Many times it is just "Doing that would be racist" or "What you said is racist". That is not saying they are racist, but the action or statement (or whatever) would be racist or at least could be construed that way.

I mean, what are we supposed to do? Not say that something is racist when we believe it is?

Stepping back a bit I can see that this is something that has been bugging me for a bit and Morlock's over the top leftist claims pushed me over the edge. So I will back off a bit. It is something both sides should try to avoid if we are going to have any meaningful discussions.

MechaPilot

Explorer
So objectively, it does seem the right lies more than the left.

Unfortunately, the right, or at least its prominent representatives, also seem to try to deny people their civil rights more than the left. And that's a rather ironic turn of events given that southern democrats were historically the ones opposed to integration of schools and the civil rights movement.

Lord Twig

Adventurer
Unfortunately, the right, or at least its prominent representatives, also seem to try to deny people their civil rights more than the left. And that's a rather ironic turn of events given that southern democrats were historically the ones opposed to integration of schools and the civil rights movement.

The historical southern democrats are now republicans. The civil rights movement is when the democrats lost the south.

See the Southern Strategy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️

Parties do shift and realign over time. Just review the movement of Strom Thurmond from Southern Democrat through Dixiecrat to Republican - segregationist all the way.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
Sky falling? No. Voter suppression? Yes.
I also note that whatever onerous restrictions you think the left are putting on gun ownership, somehow we manage to have more guns in Americans' hands than we have Americans. The latest stats say there are 112 firearms out there per 100 people. Clearly those barriers, supported by about 72% of the US population (considerably more than those identifying as liberal), aren't doing squat.

Cite for that 72% number? I doubt even half the population knows anything about SBR/suppressior regulations, for example.

But if they aren't doing squat, why are they so broadly supported?

Much more primal? Not when it comes to participation in the political system and that deals with issues far broader than self-defense. When you consider that people are about 32x more likely to kill themselves than an assailant, maybe self-defense should be considered a much smaller issue than "primal".

But much more primal when it comes to real life.

Self-defense very often results in zero fatalities. In fact, I think it's safe to say that the most typical use of a gun for self-defense involves little more than brandishing a firearm.

Your point is inaccurate. Unless you are casting a vote to kill someone, voting doesn't kill. Firearms, by contrast, have the primary purpose of wounding living things and/or taking the lives of living things.

Also, a suppressor is not a firearm. It is an accessory that is not necessary to the exercise of one's second amendment rights.

Oh, I dunno. Who we vote for seems to have a lot to do with who dies in MENA, for example. Or in wombs, for another. Okay, that wasn't exactly fair - Republicans have done absolutely nothing to curtail abortion.

Guns save lives too. That's what's so great about them - they empower the law-abiding at least as much as they empower criminals.

As for their primary purpose, I'd leave that to the owners. For most, their primary purpose is punching holes in paper.

Oh, and Morlock keeps talking the tough guy talk about being ready to kill 24/7. That's such a load of bollocks. Let me tell you dude, from first hand experience. You don't ever want to know what it's like to kill another human being or see another human being get killed in front of you. EVER.

Don't know where you got the idea that being mentally prepared to defend yourself translates into wanting it, but whatever. Projection, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads