• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which +1 Weapon Magical Ability is best ?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
CRGreathouse said:

This means that the character can only make an enhancement bonus of +2, not a cost equivilent of +2. You could make a +2 sure-striking flaming shock keen defending holy mighty cleaving longsword if he could afford it.
What he said. :cool:

Also, I think this should be in Rules now.

Last edited:

RigaMortus

Explorer
What is Sure Strike?

Can you attatch True Strike to this weapon? If so, you would get +20 to hit per swing.

How about something with a Stunning or Daze effect? Actually, Daze might do the trick (it is a level 0 spell too, so less exp/gold cost) as if you hit an opponent with it, they would lose their action for the next round. That would be sweet, you could keep an opponent from doing anything until you finally end up killing them, provided you keep hitting of course.

Just some thoughts...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
What is Sure Strike?

Sure Striking is a weapon special ability that allows the weapon to beat DR as if it were a +5 weapon. It costs as a +1 modifier, but grants no enhancement bonus to attack or damage.

Can you attatch True Strike to this weapon? If so, you would get +20 to hit per swing.

Simple answer is "No".

More complicated answer is "Yes", but someone calculated the price as something like 1.6 million gold, from memory. It's not as simple as just a Use-Activated SL1 CL1 spell, because of the benefit it grants. Or at least, any DM who allows it as such is nuts :)

Alternatively, there's the Bow of True Arrows, which requires a command word (standard action) to activate a True Strike for the next single attack with the bow. So someone who can normally fire three arrows per round - or six in two rounds - can instead fire one True arrow and two normal arrows every second round if they choose.

I think that's more like a 4000 gp price tag, again from memory.

-Hyp.

flits3

First Post
RigaMortus said:

Sigh. Yes you can attach True Strike to the weapon and than you get a +20 to you NEXT ATTACK ONLY!!!

So after the first strike the +1 weapon would be just the +1 weapon.... effectively negating the +20 bonus.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Spell Storing - Bestow Curse, Dispel Magic, Inflict Serious Wounds or (being a Dwarf) Stone Shape :)

Orco42

First Post
I would go with Sure Strike. Then you can buff it all you want with out worrying about getting through DR.

Plus any of the +1dx damage ones are good.

Zhure

First Post
Throwing, coupled with Returning. Technically that's a +2, but you could start with Throwing. Boomeranging Greatsword of doom, anyone?

From the Psionic Handbook, I like Charged. It's an extra 1d4 of damage, but no elemental effect like Shocking, Flaming and so forth. That way you don't have to worry about resistances.

Greg

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Sure Striking really isn't worth it on your primary weapon. Get a back-up weapon and put sure striking on it.

Keen is my favorite +1 equivalent. On weapons with a large crit range it makes crits almost likely, and on weapons with a small crit range it actually allows you to crit every now and then.

I like the cold energy enchantments because they do extra damage versus the fire subtype, and that seem to me to be the most common and/or most interesting elemental subtype encountered.

Note also that CRGreathouse is correct, you can make a +2 weapon with other enchantments on it at 7th level.

And honestly, if I had to choose between a +2 weapon and a +1 flaming or +1 keen weapon, I would go with the +2 weapon. Especially at 7th level, when there are actually times when it is hard to hit stuff.

--Advisory Spikey

rankarrog

First Post
I love the "throwing"-enchantment on my Babarians Greataxe ;) Quite impressive if your enemy throws a two-handed weapon at you, but it defentivly needs to be combined with "returning". Else you'll run out of ammo soon :)

Remove ads