• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which D&D Settings Do You Play In?

Over on the right of the news page is a new poll which asks which D&D setting you currently play in. Obviously WotC has its own survey data, and we know from that that 55% of people use home-brew settings, 35% play in the Realms, 5% in Greyhawk, and the remaining 5% is divided between the rest. I figured it would be fun to see how closely EN World's members track to that overall survey; how closely to we represent the official data? To that end, I've listed a number of settings. The question is what you PLAY in? It's not "what would you LIKE to play in", or "what would you like to see more support for?" -- it's what are you PLAYING in right now? I know some folks have more than one game going and they may be different settings. That's why I've allowed a choice of three in the poll. If you have four or more games in multiple settings -- well, I'm envious. I took the list from the Wikipedia page of 25 settings, so if you're mad and incensed about the list or its ordering or whatever (because Internet) blame Wikipedia! Some settings incorporate others (Kara-Tur is in the Realms, for example), but I"m keeping it simple with the top level list.

Over on the right of the news page is a new poll which asks which D&D setting you currently play in. Obviously WotC has its own survey data, and we know from that that 55% of people use home-brew settings, 35% play in the Realms, 5% in Greyhawk, and the remaining 5% is divided between the rest. I figured it would be fun to see how closely EN World's members track to that overall survey; how closely to we represent the official data? To that end, I've listed a number of settings. The question is what you PLAY in? It's not "what would you LIKE to play in", or "what would you like to see more support for?" -- it's what are you PLAYING in right now? I know some folks have more than one game going and they may be different settings. That's why I've allowed a choice of three in the poll. If you have four or more games in multiple settings -- well, I'm envious. I took the list from the Wikipedia page of 25 settings, so if you're mad and incensed about the list or its ordering or whatever (because Internet) blame Wikipedia! Some settings incorporate others (Kara-Tur is in the Realms, for example), but I"m keeping it simple with the top level list.

Here's what WotC's survey says we play (that data comes from Chris Perkin's panel at Gamehole Con). Let's see how closely we match it. The survey is on the right hand side of the news page, or it's at the top of the discussion thread, depending where/how you're viewing this.

11231702_920484238032866_618281623657537775_o.png

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
I am not the biggest fan of this poll because it's so skewed by current production schedule and goals of WotC. Homebrew and the Realms will be, by default, the two largest choices due to how much WotC has marketed those two options over the others.

So I answered by what I would rather be playing, because that's Eberron.

Xavian Starsider

First Post

Then you just invalidated the poll with your answer. Now explain why you can't play 5E Eberron? They've released materials for warforged and artificers. There's piles of 3e and 4e sourcebooks that still work. And trolls and ogres in Eberron are exactly the same as trolls and ogres in any other D&D campaign. There's even info in the DMG on how to create monsters, races, spells, etc.

As I said above, I just ran 3 weeks of Ravenloft for my 5E group. I adjusted from the old 2nd edition module. It wasn't that hard. What's your excuse?

DarkplaneDM

Villager
I believe Chris Perkins, but I think the data is very skewed by the fact that they've only really supported Forgotten Realms in the last few years. There are only a few products in their current catalog that aren't tied in with the Realms. So yeah, a lot of people are defaulting to the Realms. If they only did Dark Sun products for five years, I'd bet a hell of a lot of people would report playing with those products.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I am not the biggest fan of this poll because it's so skewed by current production schedule and goals of WotC. Homebrew and the Realms will be, by default, the two largest choices due to how much WotC has marketed those two options over the others.

The whole point of the poll, as I see it, is to confirm that this is really the case.

The point isn't to find out what people want to be playing, that is the question that would be asked if that were the case. The point is to find out if the 5e release schedule is having the effect we think it would have.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Coordinated effort from somewhere. Poll's over, I guess.

I think for this poll to work you need to be able to only choose 1. Even then, it's not going to work because people will still pick homebrew when they play their own adventures set in the Forgotten Realms or wherever.

ccs

41st lv DM

But the instructions in the original post were so simple....

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
It is a simple poll, I agree. I used 1 vote. And to the person who asked me to explain myself well I really don't have to explain anything at all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads