D&D General Which edition of D&D did you grow up with?

Which edition did you start with?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Based on the edition most chosen, I feel this is a bit of a demographic test...
The valid conclusion to be drawn from any/all EN World Forum Polls:
ENWorlders are old.

I mean, seriously, 5e is selling better than every RPG in history combined, including itself.*
And we have 1 respondent here who started with it?
Sampling issue.

* technically impossible, I know, but that's how it feels. :D

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
ENWorlders are old.

I mean, seriously, 5e is selling better than every RPG in history combined, including itself.*
Sampling issue.

What is interesting is that the board seems pretty pro 5e overall, clearly the edition is appealing to older members?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
ENWorlders are old.

Sampling issue.

Youngins don't do forums these days, they are like old folks homes.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Title of the thread and title of the poll itself have slightly different answers. I didn't play D&D as a kid. I started with 4E around 25 or 26. I loved it and hated it about equally. Now I play both 5E and Pathfinder and find that I also both love and hate each about equally. Somewhere in the middle I played some PBTA games (I realize not technically within the topic here) and I found I loved those more than I hated them but it's so easy to get someone to play a game of 5E or even a variant of 5E like AIME, so that's what I play the most.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I started with OD&D, but my most hard-core D&Ding - and memories thereof - are from AD&D. I am somewhat delighted to see AD&D getting about 50% of the votes. :)

Tony Vargas

Legend
What is interesting is that the board seems pretty pro 5e overall, clearly the edition is appealing to older members?
Absolutely. Appeal (or even mere acceptability) to established & returning players was one of the 90' waves in the perfect storm that swamped 4e, and they weren't about to repeat that mistake. 5e is a cunning/well-executed compromise among acceptability to the base, nostalgia for the returning player, and accessibility to the new.

(Also, I think one thing that's overlooked when considering 'appeal to new players,' is, however ironically, the importance of nostalgia. With a property that has a history & rep from a decades-ago fad, even new players often are drawn to it wanting that bygone experience - out of curiosity rather than nostalgia, but it demands the design make similar sacrifices. That kind of new player needs to hear the old-timers, however grumpily, acknowledging that, yes, this is the real thing.)

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
ENWorlders are old.

Sampling issue.

Exactly. I'm 41, but I didn't expect so many were in my age range.

Maybe Enworld needs to try to attract younger gamers...

GreyLord

Legend
I didn't really grow up with any of them per se, but my first exposure to D&D was with some people who were playing the Original Version. I didn't have any of the rules and just played as they played. There were boys around that allowed me in their little group of players.

I didn't get a set till later.

I eventually got the Original D&D but it was after I got the Basic Set that came out after them. It is sort of weird.

One of the oddities (and perhaps it is how we remember things) is I distinctly remember that the Holmes set that I originally received (didn't buy it, was given it) had in the rules that elves could be fighters or Magic-users but had to choose which one they were to be each adventure and could switch back and forth.

However, when I have asked later about it people say that was never in Holmes, and though I lost my original, the ones I have bought later have never had that rule in it either (elves basically play as they ended up being like in B/X instead). One of the weird things I've never been able to figure out.

Last edited:

No sure how to answer this. I and my friends started with the red box, and muddled through a few sessions. We eventually got one of my friend's uncle to DM for us using 1E. Sometime later, I began to DM using a hybrid 1E/2E rule set. We got burned out on D&D, and branched out to other games. D&D adjacent, I ran a Alternity Dragonlance campaign. By the time 3E came around, I was pretty much "grown up".

collin

Explorer
First game I played was basic D&D box set, circa late 1979. After that, I was introduced to AD&D 1e and went from there, playing fairly regularly during my later high school years and somewhat regularly during college (1e and 2e). I REALLY started taking an interest when 3e came out. I bought all of the books at that point.

Remove ads