• Mythic Odysseys of Theros

Votes: 31 17.6%
  • Starter Set

Votes: 88 50.0%
  • Essentials Kit

Votes: 67 38.1%

Mercurius

Legend
I put this together real fast just to get a visual representation of release schedule of 5E. I've tried to include everything except for miniatures or dice sets (except for Laeral, because it stands alone) with hardcovers emphasized in green. Obviously the schedule has been busier the last couple years. Edit: I think miscellaneous stuff counts towards work-load, so them cutting back could simply mean less extraneous bits. Edit 2: I forgot the Tyranny of Dragons reissue. Oh well.

1590020182787.png

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
4 hard backs per year, do you think Paizo’s thinner paperbacks count? Those seemed like collects rules and fluff for thier paths, with the significant rules ending up in hardbacks anyway. At least that’s how we treated them, mostly ignored unless the oath required it somehow.

Well it depends upon how you want to count them. Let's take 2011 as an example:

1 box set (Beginner's Box)
4 hardcovers (including Inner Sea Guide)
7 players companions
11 setting books
3 map folios
12 adventure path books (of three paths)
6 modules

(I could be missing something)

So that's 44 individual items. If we collapse the adventure paths, including the maps it reduces to 32.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well it depends upon how you want to count them. Let's take 2011 as an example:

1 box set (Beginner's Box)
4 hardcovers (including Inner Sea Guide)
7 players companions
11 setting books
3 map folios
12 adventure path books (of three paths)
6 modules

(I could be missing something)

So that's 44 individual items. If we collapse the adventure paths, including the maps it reduces to 32.

That's why I never bought anything, right there...

I'd read the WotC previews of what was coming up, think it looked cool, but pass on everything due to analysis paralysis. Now, I buy everything, because there is only one big thing a Quarter(ish)

Mercurius

Legend
That's why I never bought anything, right there...

I'd read the WotC previews of what was coming up, think it looked cool, but pass on everything due to analysis paralysis. Now, I buy everything, because there is only one big thing a Quarter(ish)

I never played Pathfinder but being a setting junky, and mostly enjoying Paizo's output, I would buy about half of the Golarion books, and occasionally some of the hardcovers.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
There is definitely a sweet spot of the amount of content you release every year. If you release a book or product every month or more, that's too much and you're flooding the community with content. If you release 1-2 main products a year, that's probably too little, and makes people thirsty for more content. 3-5 books/products is probably the best balance of products over the course of a normal year.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Of course I don't know, but let's look at the facts on the ground. D&D is thriving in an unprecedented way--they're selling far more books than their best hopes. What would lead you to believe that their strategy is holding back the game?

"Full potential" doesn't mean anything. There are merely different degrees of success, and 5E is a wild success.

So while I'm speculating, it is based on something actual, while your speculation is based on a hypothetical abstraction ("full potential").
Your speculation is equally hypothetical. Correlation does not equal causation. There's nothing to indicate that the wild success is due to the release rate. There is a lot of support for the idea that it's due to it being widely appealing, bringing back old players and bringing in new ones. You're assuming as much as I am.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don’t think so. I think it’s a very fine line, an invisible one. And the only defense is to stay well away.
You think there's a fine line between 63 books of crunch in the first 6 years and 6 books of crunch in the first 6 years? Really?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You think there's a fine line between 63 books of crunch in the first 6 years and 6 books of crunch in the first 6 years? Really?

The line is somewhere, and 2019 was pushing it. They released 4 major products in 2018, and I bought 4. They released 7 major products in 2019, and I bought 4.

Remove ads