D&D General Which standard classes have you never (or very rarely) seen played? (Edited)

Which standard classes have you never (or very rarely) seen played?

• Barbarian

• Bard

• Cleric

• Druid

• Fighter

• Monk

• Paladin

• Ranger

• Rogue

• Sorcerer

• Warlock

• Warlord

• Wizard

• I have seen all of them in play

Results are only viewable after voting.

akr71

Hero
The "baggage" carried by the druid is consistent with a standard European D&D setting, whilst the monk's baggage is not. And I find most players lack the experience/confidence to refluff a class to represent something other than the standard PHB version.
It would be interesting to poll a number of non D&D people and ask what their ideas on what a druid was and then what a monk was. I would be willing to bet you would get very few people say a druid is an individual that can change into an animal. I'm not sure how that fits into standard European D&D. Yes, a European monk is very different from the D&D monk.

What I was meaning is that 'monk' is a very poor label for the class. Of course calling it something different causes a whole different set of problems.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Just to add to the monk discussion. Although obviously the basic assumption in d&d is a wuxia monk, I, nor my group have any trouble seeing the class used as something else. The monk in my current campaign is more of a street brawler turned to religious study. No kung fu for him. His order is comparable to old european monastic orders.

I used to play a monk who was simply a protector of her clan. Her personality was pretty much a paladin done to the extreme, where she refused all material wealth, and as such, would not even own weapons. So, although I could have played her as a paladin, a monk fitted her personality better.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
i Dont mind these things for certain campaigns called “kitchen sink”. But there is also nothing wrong with settings where monk skills can only be learned through the monastic tradition. They are more than brawlers. They are disciplined to have many mystic powers also. It almost cheapens them to say they are brawlers. Especially to those dedicated to the discipline to achieve their skills.

It would be interesting to poll a number of non D&D people and ask what their ideas on what a druid was and then what a monk was. I would be willing to bet you would get very few people say a druid is an individual that can change into an animal. I'm not sure how that fits into standard European D&D. Yes, a European monk is very different from the D&D monk.
Best known druid:
panorami.gif

A druid is seen as a Celtic priest (AKA priest of the Old Faith) or a nature loving hippy. Both of which appeal to my players. None of them play Moon druids so the wildshaping is seen as very much secondary.

Remove ads