D&D 5E Which three classic settings do you think WotC will publish in 2022-23? (Fixed)

Pick three and only three

• Planescape

Votes: 108 71.5%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 54 35.8%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • Forgotten Realms (Faerun)

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • Beyond Faerun (Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, Maztica, etc)

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 78 51.7%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • Mystara

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Birthright

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Nentir Vale

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Ghostlight

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Blackmoor

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Pelinore

• Jakandor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dragon Fist

• Rokugan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other non-D&D setting (e.g. Gamma World, etc)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Don't Care/Whatever

Votes: 3 2.0%

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Planescape or Spelljammer... with the other one being the 'cameo' (either we get Sigil and there are Spelljammer ships flying in and out of it, or we get the journeys of Spelljammer with Sigil and the Outer Planes able to be reached via ship.)

Dragonlance... because they have authors who are invested in the setting at hand to work on it (and have been working on it via the new novels), the same way Eberron had Baker to spearhead things. I don't know if Dark Sun has any public-facing cheerleaders/authors for it the way Eberron has Baker and DL has Hickman/Weiss.

Then the third one in 2023 would be Mystara, since again... they had that dude who went through all the effort to write up the Mystara 5E update, thus making it very easy to bring that book in under the WotC umbrella just like they did with Mercer/Wildemount and PA/AcqInc. A new setting book they hadn't intended on, but figured why not go with it since it had an author/cheerleader and all the work was already done on it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nope. It’s a popularity rating derived from a blog post made during the Next play text about the result of polling the playtest crowd about their most-used settings…8 years ago.

Wizards is probably going to surprise us in the next couple years.
No, that poll was well after the game was out, about 6 years ago. Forgotten Realma is probably still the most popular Setting, and in terms of judging what will excite the older crowd the results are probably still valid overall.

The Glen

Legend
Dragonlance. They are giving Weis and the Hickmans a lot of money to revamp the setting to not further support it.

Spelljammer. It's far more light hearted than Planescape and Wizards shies away from heavy content, Sigil's factions are a little deep for typical 5E fare.

Probably more Forgotten Realms. It's borged the characters and creatures from other settings as needed. Who needs Greyhawk when you can just relocate what you need to Faerun?

As much as I love Mystara, the best setting as confirmed by science, it's too problematic for 5e. WOTC shies away from real world analogies, especially non European ones. That's 1/3 of the Mystara nations from the start. The lack of several races for story reasons and class restrictions also goes against the design of 5E. Still, it would could be used as a retro style setting to appeal to the OSR crowd. The Mystara Player's Guide has like 13,000 downloads to its not unlikely WOTC hasn't seen it. The free part really helps that number though.

Dragonlance. They are giving Weis and the Hickmans a lot of money to revamp the setting to not further support it.

Spelljammer. It's far more light hearted than Planescape and Wizards shies away from heavy content, Sigil's factions are a little deep for typical 5E fare.

Probably more Forgotten Realms. It's borged the characters and creatures from other settings as needed. Who needs Greyhawk when you can just relocate what you need to Faerun?

As much as I love Mystara, the best setting as confirmed by science, it's too problematic for 5e. WOTC shies away from real world analogies, especially non European ones. That's 1/3 of the Mystara nations from the start. The lack of several races for story reasons and class restrictions also goes against the design of 5E. Still, it would could be used as a retro style setting to appeal to the OSR crowd. The Mystara Player's Guide has like 13,000 downloads to its not unlikely WOTC hasn't seen it. The free part really helps that number though.

WotC hasn't given a dime to Hickman and Weis for the new novels, their publisher is paying them and WotC.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No, that poll was well after the game was out, about 6 years ago. Forgotten Realma is probably still the most popular Setting, and in terms of judging what will excite the older crowd the results are probably still valid overall.
Fair enough on the time, but I stand by the rest. 6 years is still quite long ago, and the game has brought in a huge number of new people since then. The demographics have shifted quite a lot since then.

Many players are young enough these days that they were little kids or preteens 6 years ago.

Wizards is considering the desires of a host of players that weren’t even playing when that survey was taken, and they seem to want to surprise the player base.

Aldarc

Legend
I have heard people make similar assertions before, but I'm not entirely sure why we should assume that all nations would or even should have to be covered for a Mystara setting anymore than needing Kara-Tur, Maztica, Zakhara, and such for a Forgotten Realms book.

SCAG didn't cover every nation of Forgotten Realms. Eberron: Rising from the Last War didn't cover every nation of Eberron with lavish detail. It glosses over Xen'drik and Sarlona.

Would it really be an issue if, for example, WotC only or primarily covered the area around Karameikos?

I think Dark Sun and a bona fide Forgotten Realms core book are both fairly certain. I'd pick Spelljammer for the third, since there have been so many hints, but I'm still not convinced that hinting at Spelljammer isn't just a running joke for 5e.

Now, what I want to see is Dragonlance. And there is something to the idea that they're not just going to put out new Dragonlance fiction and not support it with a game product.

Fair enough on the time, but I stand by the rest. 6 years is still quite long ago, and the game has brought in a huge number of new people since then. The demographics have shifted quite a lot since then.

Many players are young enough these days that they were little kids or preteens 6 years ago.

Wizards is considering the desires of a host of players that weren’t even playing when that survey was taken, and they seem to want to surprise the player base.
If I remember right, one of the surveys, about a year or so ago if I remember correctly, had questions on settings. I would assume they would go off of those results. Unfortunately, unlike the previous one, we're not privy to the results...

Remove ads