Whirling Frenzy from UA: Is it balanced?

Thurbane

First Post
Thanee said:
The extra attack requires a full attack action and does, therefore, not normally work with skirmish.

Bye
Thanee
Note that while basic common sense, the actual wording of Frenzy (as above) does NOT stipulate that you need to take a full attack action to gain the extra attack...

brehobit

Explorer
I had a PC with this, and the general feeling is that it was too powerful, especially at lower levels (where the extra attack _really_ helps.) The shorter duration can hurt badly, but generally doesn't. Above 6th level it is somewhat less powerful as you are hurting your other attacks too. *

I'd certainly not allow the extra attack with anything other than a full attack option. That would be way too much.

My house rule, if I allowed this at all, would be that all attacks in the full-round action must go against different targets. That would work out quite nicely and fit my idea of what the frenzy is. And with cleave could be pretty scary really (I'd let cleave attacks be unrestricted probably).

===============
*Say you need an 11 to hit normally (including raging) and you have a +6 BAB. You have a choice of needing 11, 16 or 13, 13, 18. In the first case you average .75 hits. In the second you get .95 hits. It's better, but not hugely. (If you only need a 2 to hit, then it is MUCH better).

Thanee

First Post
Thurbane said:
Note that while basic common sense, the actual wording of Frenzy (as above) does NOT stipulate that you need to take a full attack action to gain the extra attack...

While this is correct, it is also irrelevant, since it doesn't have to. There's a general rule about multiple attacks in the PHB already.

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks.

Bye
Thanee

Darklone

Thurbane said:
Not the feat itself, but the relevant combat section about several attacks per round says pretty clearly that you only get them during full attack actions, e.g. no moving and additional attack.

Bbn2/scouts are bad enough without Whirling Frenzy.

Edit: Darn, see Thanees post above.

Drowbane

First Post
No, probably not. That extra attack is *huge*... and as far as I can tell it stacks with Haste.

Is whirling frenzy "fun"? Hell yea!

Remove ads