• Wulf Ratbane

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Other

Votes: 7 13.2%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The list I've decided on for this poll is kind of limited but lists those story hour authors with a thread that is more than six pages long with I believe 40 posts per page.

Anyway, the really long ones!!!

If you vote other then post who you pick is.

{re-edit}

Sialia said:
I'm not voting on this one neither, but I would like to point out that Bandeeto wrote most of the thread we co-write and deserves the credit. I just started the thread to goad him into getting started.

Oops. I totally forgot that Bandeeto does most of Early Years Defender's Story Hour.

That means that Sialia is actually - Sialia/Bandeeto

Last edited:

ForceUser

Explorer
Nah, I'm not voting for this. A story hour is a labor of love and ranking them could lead to hard feelings. Besides, I think they're all great! :)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
ForceUser said:
Nah, I'm not voting for this. A story hour is a labor of love and ranking them could lead to hard feelings. Besides, I think they're all great! :)

Hey, I know what you mean about them being a labor of love for the authors but these guys have been doing this a while. I'm sure they all know that it wouldn't be about taking sides or who's better than who. After all, the poll is who is your favorite, not who is the best. Asking who one thinks is the best ISN'T a fair question.

Last edited:

dpdx

Explorer
Multiple favorites

Rather than list the ones that are all tied for first with me, I thought I'd contribute what makes a story hour my favorite:

• Clear, written stuff with a minimum of errors that I have to try to decipher. It's gonna sound harsh, but if you don't care about spelling and coherent sentences, I don't care about your story hour.
  • An imaginative campaign world that both interacts with the characters and keeps going in spite of them.
  • A minimum of teen/d00d/skaterspeak. One of my favorite story hours went the entire time being a good story hour, but then lapsed into this for the last update. I stopped reading it.
  • Well-defined, fleshed out PCs and NPCs who say and do interesting, IC things. This is missing from my game, but it can be faked if you're a decent storyteller.
  • Humor.
There are at least 9 or 10 Story Hours off the top of my head that meet all these criteria, and I'm not going to single one out, no matter what.

Last edited:

KidCthulhu

First Post
Good points, dpdx. I've got to add an addendum to your first post.

Paragraphs. If you're storyhour is one long block of text, you could be the next Hemingway, and I'm not reading it. I cannot stress enough the value of short, readable paragraphs.

Thorntangle

First Post
Dr Midnight said:
Awww, you people are no fun.

Alright, I'm not overly diplomatic so I'll vote in your poll of evil, Dr.Midnight. But know that it's like Sophie's Choice - it causes heart-rending pain to choose one.

If I had my access restricted so that I could only read one story hour, I'd pick Sepulchrave. He edges out all the other great story hours in every category.

Sialia

First Post
I'm not voting on this one neither, but I would like to point out that Bandeeto wrote most of the thread we co-write and deserves the credit. I just started the thread to goad him into getting started.

And I kibbitz from time to time.

And add the occasional story sadly sprinkled with teenspeak because that's the way my current narrator talks. Apologies if I turned anyone off. Please do post that kind of thing on the thread if it's getting annoying--if nobody tells me that it's unpleasant to read, then how am I to know?

I've got plenty of other voices.

Bandeeto got a lot of feedback on his new interior monologue style and started giving two versions of each sotry--the interior and the exterior. So you know, we really will respond to feedback about what works and what doesn't.

We have a lot of fun writing these, but half the fun is knowing there's an audience out there willing to read the stuff.

What I look for in a storyhour is humor. There's no question. I love good characters and I love dramatic plot, but what keeps me coming back to a storyhour is good bellylaughs.

Wulf's voice always makes me laugh. Drunk Southern Girls scares me and makes me laugh at the same time, and has great cinematography, too.

Thigns that turn me off a storyhour are "same old same old."
If I feel like I've heard the story a million times before, I don't keep reading. This isn't to say I wouldn't read several different accounts of the same module--if they were each told in a different style, or had characters so compelling that I wanted to see how each set of adventurers reacted to the same old same old situation, I'd read 'em. Understanding who the characters are and how they feel about what's happening to them, or what they do that's surprising and unusual to handle the situations, keeps me reading.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Thorntangle said:
Alright, I'm not overly diplomatic so I'll vote in your poll of evil, Dr.Midnight.

It's not MY poll, man! ...although I've come close to posting this same poll now and then, just to see where I rank. I would've put myself up there as a choice, of course... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads