Who still plays older versions of D&D?

What version of pre-3e D&D are you still playing?

• OD&D--1974, baby!

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • Moldvay/Cook/Mentzer/Rules Cyclopedia

Votes: 45 34.1%
  • AD&D 1e. Old school all da way!

Votes: 69 52.3%
  • AD&D 2e. Nay-sayers be damned! ;-)

Votes: 41 31.1%

tx7321

First Post
Yeah, that and I think people have just settled down. And I think both camps have come to the understanding that their game isn't "better" just different, and that each hits a different type of person.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I would also like to remark that there are people that enjoy both versions of the game (as well as whole bunch of different RPGs, very different from any incarnation of D&D).

Dykstrav

Adventurer
tx7321 said:
What about OSRIC?

I've checked out OSRIC and it seems cool. The problem isn't getting the rules set, as many of the players I know have been playing since 1E and still have their old books. For that matter, 1E Player's Handbooks generally go on eBay for somewhere between $5-8 last time I checked, I'd be willing to splurge for a table copy or two.

The problem is that the players I know feel like 1E is bush-league and clunky. They'd never play a previous edition again. Yeah, I've aksed on occasion. :)

I do know of a 1E game that's about an hour and a half from where I live, but I'm not willing to drive that far to play it.

Guess I could post notices at the FLGS and all that but it just hasn't been a priority for me.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Nikosandros said:
I would also like to remark that there are people that enjoy both versions of the game (as well as whole bunch of different RPGs, very different from any incarnation of D&D).

Honestly, that's where I fall. I love me some AD&D, but I also like playing D&D3x, and running a myriad of other games (from Burning Wheel to Risus). Fantasy is my favorite genre regardless of what game I'm playing, though.

Allandaros

Explorer
I checked RC, 1e, and 2e; I'm currently in a (stalled) 2e campaign, but am willing to run RC and 1e (and looking forward to the experience).

WSmith

First Post
I like Original AD&D, 1st ed. with only the PHB, the DMG, and the MM. I would love to play it again but would only DM it with the right group.

I am a strong fan of Moldvay/Marsh B/X D&D. I would play or DM this anytime.

But recently, everything D&D related I am doing revolves around the three little books, Vol's. I-III. This has become my D&D flavor of choice.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Nikosandros said:
That's where I am too. My weekly group uses 1E while my online campagin uses 3E. I honestly don't see that much of a difference, as my stories are heavily plot-driven with extensive role-playing, the game mechanics only becoming a factor in the combat segments. I've also used 1E material with the 3E campaign and 3E material with the 1E campaign with little to no difficulty.

tx7321

First Post
Didn't mean to suggest you had to choose. I was trying to explain why the edition wars died down. There were 2 camps at each others throats for a long time. I think the problem was created by WOTC honestly, as they "sold" 3E as everything to everybody.

Huw

First Post
Interesting that 1e is in the lead. I've started putting my old 1e stuff up on ebay, and I've been surprised at how much it's going for - especially common stuff like the PHB.

Remove ads