D&D 5E Why (and how) 5E can succeed

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
LOL, no doubt. Your boyfriend sounds like one of my high school students (ha ha).

I've no doubt. But the point remains, even though he has 10-14 years on your students, these are the generations I'm talking about.

Yeah, I hear that - but its actually very relevant to the discussion at hand,

Wouldn't have brought it up otherwise...ok. :blush: maybr I would have. But so pleased that it's relevant.

because we're talking about the way technology and media impacts imagination, which is the primary apparatus in D&D.

From my own observations, pre-bf and since, I can only see it as a diminishing of imagination.

At the school I work at we're at a bit of a loss with how to navigate this domain. Some of the old guard would be happy with making it a technology-free campus (its a very small private school), while "moderates" such as myself would like to utilize the technology to augment learning and imagination, not replace it.

I can't really give any insight here...though I know several persons in education. I suspect their opinions would be equally split. How do you deal with smart phones IN the classroom? How do you stop texting and such while you're trying to engage them on a topic?

The key, in my opinion, is balance. What we see now is "too much of a good thing" and, like you say later on, its only going to get more extreme.

Quite.

Yeah, I know. I really see computer games and tabletop RPGs as being opposite poles on a spectrum, so it irks me when designers want to "computerize" the tabletop experience. Again, I'm not opposed to augmentation - like monster builder or MasterPlan, that sort of thing. But when it starts veering into everyone having a tablet in front of them with a virtual battlegrid...

That's the day I hand up my DM cloak...if I had such a thing.

And my view is that it should look to satisfy "us" first and foremost, and build from that. Its like trying to serve too many masters. Or trying to pretend you're something that you're not. It doesn't work. Be what you are - and for D&D, that means a game of imagination, of theater-of-mind.

I heartily agree...but who is to say that serving "us" is the right business decision?

I'm not opposed to "D&D: the MMORG" or "Warmaster: the D&D battle game." All that could be lots of fun. But I'd like to keep tabletop D&D "untainted," so to speak, at least at its core.

I concur. I just doubt it will happen. The proverbial "They" seem to be very interested in making sure A [say, the rpg] slides into/endorses B [say the card game] which slides into/endorses C [say, the video game]...endorses D [the miniatures]...endorses E...and so on and so on...with the branding iron stamped all over all of it.

In my experience with my students, yes - definitely so. I'd even say that they're hungry for it, in a way that you or I might be hungry for a good fantasy novel after weeks of just watching movies. There's something about going inward, about generating imagination, that is so much more deeply satisfying.

I agree...and am very much heartened to hear your students agree...I would not have expected that.

I agree, at least for the foreseeable future and/or the majority. But I also think that more and more people will want to "wake up" from the virtual dream and re-embrace the real. The movie Logan's Run comes to mind.

Doesn't it though! It is friggin' scary. The Hunger Games doesn't seem that far off either!..."reality tv" has to hit a ceiling at some point! [gods willing before people are being killed on live tv]

My feeling is that the form of RPGs has so much potential that has been untapped, and that it could actually be a positive cultural and educational force. For instance, I incorporate world building into classes - even have had an elective course on it, which the students love.[/quote[

That is awesome to hear. And I agree. I'm just not sure how wide-reaching, culturally/educationally, it can realistically be.

Its been fun! Nice saying, by the way. I saw you're in Andorra. Are you Andorran? You "sound" American. If so, why Andorra?

Oh gods no! Poor things...the Andorrans. Ignorant and mules...and look about as good. If anyone wants a lesson of an "insular culture" or "practical xenophobia" ["we love you being here and doing all the work we don't want to do, but don't tell us how to do things better or what the rest of the world does! we don't need to learn ANYthing"] come to Andorra! The skiing's not so bad either and a large expat community of great people! lol. Guess I should stick to writing fantasy and not tourism brochures. hahaha. I am American. That boyfriend I mentioned? Also American. He teaches English here. Met in the States, long story...So I came/ended up here.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Returning to D&D, if we remember, one of the things 4E tried to do was appeal to the World of Warcraft and anime crowds and, by and large, it didn't work. It mainly just pissed off us old-timers who want our elves to have whites in their eyes and don't think PCs that have a breath weapon or a demon rapist for a father aren't the kewlest thing evar.

This kind of dismissive (and speculative) editorializing makes it hard to take your posts seriously. Not only is it inaccurate (Dragonborn were a 3e invention and popular there and continue to be popular in 5e according to WOTC, and Tieflings were not the product of rape, but a race of humans who, in the distant past, made a pact with Devils and were thus corrupted). There may be some truth to the notions expressed, but expressing it in this manner just makes for sour grapes edition war fodder.

I reserve the right to speculate and editorialize, just as you reserve the right to make groundless accusations of dismissiveness and sour grapes.

I know, but they weren't in the PHB--and thus core--until 4E. That's a big difference.

While I'm not much of a fan of Tieflings (or Dragonborn) I think there's a place for them - just not in the Player's Handbook. In Player's Handbook 2: Advanced Races and Class Options? Certainly.

I agree with Gadget, the way you said it was dismissive and struck me as edition war stuff.

If you had just said "I am not much a fan of Tieflings or Dragonborn in the PHB", nobody would have had an issue. But no, instead you dismissed it as trying to appeal to the "World of Warcraft and anime crowds", which makes little sense as they had been around for a long time and were popular. Then you got the history wrong, using a pretty negatively loaded word (rape). And then you said it was not "the kewlest thing ever". That way of saying it is clearly dismissive - I challenge you to write any sentence using the slang "kewlest" that doesn't read as dismissive. That's pretty much the point of that slang.

So yeah, I think if you didn't want it to read as a cheap shot at 4e, all you had to do was say it's not your thing, without all the stuff about video games, anime, rape, and kewl.

You're of course free to "editorialize" it, but then don't complain when people call you on it. His accusation was not groundless.

Personally, I'd prefer to see PC Race options come in themed packages, associated with settings. The core races in the main publication would be traditional Tolkien races (Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, Human…maybe Half Elf and Half Orc). I could the see expansions in groups after then (a Planescape set, an Ebberon set, etc). Possibly a bit too late for this option now though, I guess.

As long as we don't get Humans with +1 bonus to everything, I'll be OK about it...

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
But I think, mayhaps, nits are being picked where they aren't or needn't be. But that is just one Steel Dragon's outside/onlooker's opinion.

No, this is not nitpicking in any way, shape, or form.

As soon as you say something has "failed"... you are giving license to the belief that there is nothing of value in it. Thus, all of your personal opinions about why it "sucks" are thus validated in your mind, because the product has no value. So rather than discussing things from a moderate point of view, taking into account the good and the bad (of which every edition has both)... you dismiss things out of whole cloth. There is no discussion, because your belief is on the extreme end of the spectrum.

But when you speak from a moderate position, we can have a conversation about all manner of points about each of the editions. Good and bad. Useful and useless. Popular and not popular.

Don't speak from extremes. That devolves into hyperbole of the worst sort and results in completely unsupportable BS. While it might make the speaker feel better because they mistakenly think their opinion now "has weight"... in truth, their opinion has weight when they can see and argue from both sides, because invariably they will produce evidence that is more defensible.

Mercurius

Legend
I agree with Gadget, the way you said it was dismissive and struck me as edition war stuff.

Mistwell, I'm not going to enter into a dance with you. I've seen where that goes, but wanted to let you know that I did read your response (and am not ignoring it) but that I disagree with your interpretation, or at least it doesn't match up with my intention! I find that most "edition wars" are started with misconstrued accusations of edition warring, and since I have no interest in that I'll just leave it at that.

You said in your original post:
"The full title was going to be "Why (and how) 5E can succeed in ways that 4E failed" but I didn't want this to be construed as an edition war thread. I am not meaning to criticize the quality of any specific edition except insofar as the health and vitality of the community that is built around it. The fact that 5E was announced three and a half years after 4E was published speaks volumes to this failure."

You were suggesting 4E failed. You weren't talking "degrees of success"... you out-and-out was saying you thought 4E FAILED as an edition. To which I say HOGWASH.

Had you originally said (as you mentioned above in your reply to me) "I think we can safely say that 4E was not as successful as previous editions in that the edition cycle was only four years, and less really if you think about the period of active support." I wouldn't have said anything. Because your statement could possibly be true based on just outsider perspective... but which there's no way to confirm or deny that as we have no numbers to tell us how much the edition actually made.

But you did not say that. To which my reply still stands: Anything you produce that makes you money, keeps your business open, and allows you to continue to do business is a success. That which does not can be considered a failure.

No, this is not nitpicking in any way, shape, or form.

As soon as you say something has "failed"... you are giving license to the belief that there is nothing of value in it. Thus, all of your personal opinions about why it "sucks" are thus validated in your mind, because the product has no value. So rather than discussing things from a moderate point of view, taking into account the good and the bad (of which every edition has both)... you dismiss things out of whole cloth. There is no discussion, because your belief is on the extreme end of the spectrum.

But when you speak from a moderate position, we can have a conversation about all manner of points about each of the editions. Good and bad. Useful and useless. Popular and not popular.

Don't speak from extremes. That devolves into hyperbole of the worst sort and results in completely unsupportable BS. While it might make the speaker feel better because they mistakenly think their opinion now "has weight"... in truth, their opinion has weight when they can see and argue from both sides, because invariably they will produce evidence that is more defensible.

I would add: Don't make a strawman out of someone's view and turn it into an extreme, which it seems is what you are doing, my friend.

I'm going to have to agree with [MENTION=92511]steeldragons[/MENTION] that you're nitpicking semantics. The word "failed" seems loaded for you, like its inherently an all-encompassing castigation, a word that applies to all context which, in the original post, I was very clear I wasn't using it that way. As I said, I wasn't talking about how good of a game 4E is, or how loved it is by its advocates, or how creative it is, but the overall impact it has had and the community strength behind that. As I said, relative to previous editions - in terms of the context I outlined in the original post and since then - it seems like a "failure." Announcing a new edition three and a half years in doesn't speak of a thriving community.

I see a bit of a strawman argument here, because you aren't accepting my re-phrasing, which you agreed was a viable viewpoint - but instead go back to my original phrasing (and your interpretation of it) and obstinately continue to disagree with that. In other words, you reject my clarification.

If you want to do away with the word "failure," fine. We can talk about "degrees of success" to which I'll say 4E was on the lower end of the spectrum, a "minor success" in that it offered a new way to play the game that some people liked and it made WotC some money initially but didn't last. I'm guessing that WotC hoped for more, something more sustainable.

By the way, my position with regards to 4E is moderate! I like the game, played it for three years. But my original post has nothing to do with how I feel about it as a game, but its larger impact on the game and community and, perhaps most importantly, its (lack of) longevity and sustainability.

Mercurius

Legend
I've no doubt. But the point remains, even though he has 10-14 years on your students, these are the generations I'm talking about.

So it sounds like he's mid-20s, and they're 14-18, so we're talking about Gen Y, born in the 80s and 90s, or who I like to call "Gen Text." And this doesn't even touch upon "Gen Z," who Strauss-Howe generation theory calls the "Homeland Generation," born in 2004 and after. Given that they're just starting to turn 10 and younger in 2014, it might be that the context of D&D is still focused on generations X and Y.

I can't really give any insight here...though I know several persons in education. I suspect their opinions would be equally split. How do you deal with smart phones IN the classroom? How do you stop texting and such while you're trying to engage them on a topic?

I usually try to keep it light, but will take away their device until the end of class. I've thought of having them leaving their devices on a table at the beginning of class, but the problem is that the international students often need them and I'm fine with students looking things up on occasion if its relevant to the class. But the problem is that its hard to monitor and some of the goods are very good about texting, even playing games, in a very sly way.

I heartily agree...but who is to say that serving "us" is the right business decision?

Well for tabletop D&D I think it is, because we're the "bird in hand" and the group - age 30ish to 50ish - that support the game as it is played. I think diversifying into different forms with other variations on the brand is a good idea, and even that they provide modern tools to augment the tabletop experience, but that it just make sense to keep the D&D experience as a theater of mind tabletop RPG.

I concur. I just doubt it will happen. The proverbial "They" seem to be very interested in making sure A [say, the rpg] slides into/endorses B [say the card game] which slides into/endorses C [say, the video game]...endorses D [the miniatures]...endorses E...and so on and so on...with the branding iron stamped all over all of it.

I can live with that, especially if it keeps the brand thriving. As I said before, this diversification might actually help keep the tabletop game relatively traditional; its the "classic D&D experience" from which others forms are derived: movies, video games, card games, etc.

I agree...and am very much heartened to hear your students agree...I would not have expected that.

The tricky part, though, is getting them to actual engage in this manner, because they tend to be surprisingly passive.

Doesn't it though! It is friggin' scary. The Hunger Games doesn't seem that far off either!..."reality tv" has to hit a ceiling at some point! [gods willing before people are being killed on live tv]

It won't be that obvious, but we're going to see some crazy shyt in the next decades.

That is awesome to hear. And I agree. I'm just not sure how wide-reaching, culturally/educationally, it can realistically be.

If we broaden the idea of what an RPG is, then I think the potential is there. I've dreamed of the idea of a whole curriculum based around building - you really could learn anything in that context, but the key is that it is focused on student creativity, on them building worlds.

Oh gods no! Poor things...the Andorrans. Ignorant and mules...and look about as good. If anyone wants a lesson of an "insular culture" or "practical xenophobia" ["we love you being here and doing all the work we don't want to do, but don't tell us how to do things better or what the rest of the world does! we don't need to learn ANYthing"] come to Andorra! The skiing's not so bad either and a large expat community of great people! lol. Guess I should stick to writing fantasy and not tourism brochures. hahaha. I am American. That boyfriend I mentioned? Also American. He teaches English here. Met in the States, long story...So I came/ended up here.

Sounds like an interesting experience.

Last edited:

mlund

First Post
To be financially successful (as opposed to a short-term, brand-name cash-in), the game needs to do several things:

1.) Be distinct mechanically from the OGL SRD

That content is free, been done to death, and it can be innovated on much more efficiently by smaller-press publishers. 5E can't just be an OGL retread.

2.) Keep the core thematic assumptions light and traditional

Derive your core outward from the paradigm of Fighter, Rogue, Mage, Cleric. Keep your deities generic. Keep your races reigned in like 13th Age did with stuff like Drow, Warforged, Dragonborn, and Plane-touched in the DMG / DM's options.

3.) Support the feel of OD&D, 3E, & 4E characters and encounters with appropriate character and DM's options

You don't need "simple" or weak classes. You just need a core build option for each class that gives you a no-hassles contributor. Don't need to cater to players who want their class to be the best or their class's spell-list to block out another player's preferences. The players for whom such control or simulated superiority is a deal-breaker can't be the target audience for a growing game.

4.) Put in the effort to achieve balance without symmetry

4E took the easiest path to solving very messy problem with prior editions by making classes symmetrical. These made it very hard to reproduce the feel of many characters from prior editions. (For example, I think 13th Age actually solved the balance problem of spell-slot trees by going with an even more Vancian model than OD&D.)

5.) Balance your classes across 3 pillars with character options

You can't rely on any given adventure series or campaign putting the same ratio of Combat : Interaction : Exploration or even Dungeon : Wilderness : Urban. You shouldn't have any classes so type-cast that their hands are completely tied to one particular pillar or setting carrying much more water than the others. That means you need to be able to work an urban bloodhound, a battle skald, and an influential warrior without changing classes. There needs to be a baseline of good options in class talents and/or spells for more than combat encounters.

If 5E can hit all of those points it would sell well and be able to support a long line of modules/adventure paths. Then it is just a matter of whether the business model follows producing adventure content and expansion, or falls back on burying itself in splat-book bloat.

- Marty Lund

Yora

Legend
That sounds actually quite reasonable. The old editions of D&D and the many settings had quite different default assumptions. Going with a mostly generic system rather than trying to nail down "the one and true setting of D&D" might help a lot.
Otherwise there are likely to be big numbers of people thinking "but you but X into my Y".

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If you want to do away with the word "failure," fine. We can talk about "degrees of success" to which I'll say 4E was on the lower end of the spectrum, a "minor success" in that it offered a new way to play the game that some people liked and it made WotC some money initially but didn't last. I'm guessing that WotC hoped for more, something more sustainable.

Very good. This I am fine with. Now if you can use this kind of moderate language all the time, there will be more worthwhile discussion about your actual points, rather than posts reflexively decrying your statements in the first place because you used language many of us do not feel was factually correct.

"I think 3E was more successful creatively to do X than 4E and here's why 5E should probably go in that direction..." is a discussion we can have and can look at all sides. "4E failed and thus 5E should do X..." degenerates immediately to the argument of whether 4E "failed" or not and who gets to define it, and thus missed the entire point.

By now most of us should know where the discussion will immediately go if you put 4E and "failure" in the same sentence. If a poster does so, it's because they intentionally want to piss people off. And it doesn't matter how many times they parrot "I'm not trying to start an edition war here!"... yes, yes in fact they are.

Remove ads