Why can't I run Wednesday Encounters?

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Ok, I'm a bit frustrated with trying to run a public D&D event at my FLGS.

Maybe you grizzled veterans can help me out.

A little over a year ago I did the online test deal and got my Herald level DM card. I tried for months to schedule an event at my FLGS, but I was never able to "add a venue" in order to schedule a game. The website just would not work, and emails to CustServe went unanswered. I finally just said screw it, and I ran an "unofficial" public game with no kits or support from WotC.

Well, Essentials is coming out and I would like to run the Wednesday Encounters events at my FLGS. I logged on to the judges site, and found that my Herald card is gone. No big deal, I'll just take the test again right? Wrong. The Herald test isn't available to me. The only available test is "Rewards DM", so I take it and then check my status on the info page. Now I'm a "rewards" member, but I don't have the option to schedule an event. I still don't have an option to take a Herald test, and I have no idea what I need to do to officially schedule a public game.

If anybody has any suggestions, or knows something I'm missing, please let me know.

I really want to help promote the game. My FLGS is mostly a MtG store, but the owner is very supportive of rpg gaming.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
You have to be part of the wizards play network I believe. (Or I think your store does.)

Go here: Play!

I know the store is signed up, because they run many supported MtG events. I got my initial DCI card from the store at a MtG game day.

I have signed up through the WPN and I have an "incident" number, which I guess is a transaction number. I haven't ever heard anything back from WotC. I had to enter my email and phone number in the WPN form, but I never heard anything.

I re-applied last night (before my original post), so I'm hoping to hear something this time. I actually found my transaction number tucked in my DMG from a year ago when I tried this the first time. Maybe this time it'll all work out. I've got until mid-April to get it sorted out so I can run the Encounters using Keep on the Borderlands.:cool:

pedr

Explorer
I know the store is signed up, because they run many supported MtG events. I got my initial DCI card from the store at a MtG game day.

I have signed up through the WPN and I have an "incident" number, which I guess is a transaction number. I haven't ever heard anything back from WotC. I had to enter my email and phone number in the WPN form, but I never heard anything.

I re-applied last night (before my original post), so I'm hoping to hear something this time. I actually found my transaction number tucked in my DMG from a year ago when I tried this the first time. Maybe this time it'll all work out. I've got until mid-April to get it sorted out so I can run the Encounters using Keep on the Borderlands.:cool:
It's not really the store that needs to be signed up. As you've noticed, you need to be a WPN organiser with the store listed as a venue attached to your account.

You're going about this the right way, but something's gone wrong somewhere along the line and I get the feeling that quite a few of the Customer Service reps don't really understand what they need to do with WPN issues.

I'd go to http://www.wizards.com/Company/WPN/Join.aspx (though it sounds like you've filled in that form, if you haven't, do it again). Then, as you're in the US, try contacting the WPN rep for your region. If you look at this thread: WPN FAQ and expand the 'How to contact Wizards' section you'll see extension numbers. Choose the right one and see if that gets things moving more quickly.

Alternatively, there's no reason that you have to be the official organiser even if you're doing the GMing etc. If the store regularly runs Magic events, ask the store's Magic Tournament Organiser to order and report the Encounters events on your behalf. If you (or he) get stuck, come to the WotC boards - the DCI area (where the above thread lives) is good, as are the Encounters forums in the D&D group (D&D group) and there's also good advice to be found in the RPGA group: RPGA forums -- in fact, I'd strongly recommend the D&D group forums as there are lots of stores providing commentary on what's working for them and for seasons 1 and 2 the author's been a regular as well.

Good luck!

Oh, and I'd get this sorted out asap - there's no listed date for the close of sanctioning for season 3 of Encounters in North America, but I expect it will be reasonably soon, and possibly before the start of the season on 22nd September!

Last edited:

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Thanks for the information.

I'll get with my store owner today and see about getting him to sign up for the Keep on the Borderlands series while I keep working on getting myself vetted.

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Lhorgrim,

You need to get in touch with your WPN rep, you can find him or her here:
WPN Representative Contact Information

So long as the owner of the store is cool with you organizing for him or her your rep can set you up right quick.

Once you are setup as a WPN organizer you will be able to order World Wide Gamedays, D&D Encounters, and other public play events for that location.

Good luck,

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Update.

Good news!

I logged in to the WotC site today and found that my info page had been updated and I was able to schedule season 3 of Encounters.

Huzzah!

This will be the first time I've run an official event, but I'm really excited about making the game available to new players.

Thanks for all the advice.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
That's good news. Just be sure to sanction each week of Encounters. You must list each of the 20 sessions, and there isn't as yet a quick "Sanction this event for the following dates" button to click.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
That's good news. Just be sure to sanction each week of Encounters. You must list each of the 20 sessions, and there isn't as yet a quick "Sanction this event for the following dates" button to click.

Wow, thanks for the warning on that. I had no idea I needed to schedule each session individually. I'll make sure I take care of it.

Nice save.:)

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Also, as pedr mentioned above, I would strongly, strongly recommend paying regular attention to the D&D group on the WotC forums. There are a lot of DMs there who are discussing each week as it arrives and tips and tricks are often provided. As well, the authors of the adventures are active in and are available to give advice or "what they intended" and "here's what i wanted to add, but got cut due to space" explanations.

While there isn't a forum set up yet for Season 3, I am regularly poking Trevor Kidd (group admin) to get one set up.

Remove ads