• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why Good Rogues Should Not Use a Bow

Caliban

Rules Monkey
It does, I'm not actually sure on the maximum range but ranged attacks can benefit from sneak attack if the target is within 5' of a hostile.

Maximum range would be the short range of your weapon, or the long range if you have sharpshooter. Basically as long as you aren't far enough away that you have disadvantage on the attack.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Maximum range would be the short range of your weapon, or the long range if you have sharpshooter. Basically as long as you aren't far enough away that you have disadvantage on the attack.
Thanks for that clarification. It makes sense now, thinking about it. Our rogue is almost always within short range, but I may clarify this with the group so that they are all aware.

Sent from my SM-G925I using EN World mobile app

mellored

Legend
I will say I've never seen it be a viable tactic in tabletop D&D for more than a round or two.
Then use it for a round or 2. I'm not seeing a down side.

But my point was that every rogue should use bows, maybe not all the time, but at least some of the time.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Then use it for a round or 2. I'm not seeing a down side.

But my point was that every rogue should use bows, maybe not all the time, but at least some of the time.

...OK? I never said they shouldn't. But MY point is that trying to kite half a dungeon by yourself as a rogue is a recipe is for disaster.

Y'know, since that is what the post I was responding to was talking about.

How you got "Kiting should never be used and rogues shouldn't use bows" out of that is beyond me.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
...OK? I never said they shouldn't. But MY point is that trying to kite half a dungeon by yourself as a rogue is a recipe is for disaster.

Y'know, since that is what the post I was responding to was talking about.

How you got "Kiting should never be used and rogues shouldn't use bows" out of that is beyond me.

Not a hard assumption for a thread titled "Why Good Rogues Should Not Use a Bow" :p

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Not a hard assumption for a thread titled "Why Good Rogues Should Not Use a Bow" :p

If he'd been responding to the original poster, sure. Since I'm not that guy, is it too much to expect him to respond to what I was actually saying instead of something else?

innerdude

Legend
I want a Rogue with a penchant for diamonds
I want a Rogue who knows what's best
I want a Rogue with knives that cut
And eyes that hunt for passive threats

I want a Rogue with the right predilections
Who's fast, and thorough, and sharp as a tack
She's stealing some jewelry
She's putting up a front
She's casing the mansions
And talking up smack

I want a Rogue with a short sword and a looooong blackjack . . . .

Chaosmancer

Legend
I'd agree that the rogue shouldn't be scared to enter melee, as long as they have a buddy, but I don't think they should necessarily stay there or that it's a bad call.

The OP puts forth a multi-class fighter/rogue, so I feel comfortable saying one of the most dangerous rogues I've ever Dm'd for was an Assassin Rogue/Hunter Ranger. PHB Ranger, to clarify. Longbow, plus Colossus Slayer, Hunter's Mark, Sneak Attack, and if he got high enough level a second attack. Very, very powerful.

Also, it tends to be easier to get surprise attacks with a ranged weapon than with a melee weapon. Snipers are incredibly deadly and in a large forest, the Ranged Rogue can be ridiculous.

mellored

Legend
I have against a few DM's. I probably could have done the whole dungeon in a few cases, but I hogged enough of the spotlight as was.

Anyways, we agree that kiting and bows should be used by rogues. We just disagree on the how much.

nswanson27

First Post
I see some truth to the OP's points, but I there's a lot that isn't there that argues for a bow. Point being, since a rapier and a bow are dex-based, carry both. Next, use your head to figure out the best strategy. Funnest part about this game is the problem-solving, for me at least.

Remove ads