D&D 5E Why Greyhawk is Loved

Greyhawk is good. Forgotten Realms is good. But I discovered Tolkien and Middle Earth a few years before I discovered gaming and AD&D and that will always be the world that any other traditional fantasy world will be measured against by me.

8. A lot of D&Disms even if they no longer apply originate in GH. Paladins are LG, Rangers are heroic, Dwarves and Elves don't like each other, monsters are there to be slain and looted.

Most of these did indeed are first seen in GH, but Dwarves and Elves not getting along is a trope definitely inherited from Tolkein...

QFT. The original idea for after the 1983 boxed set was to expand the world outside of the Flanaess, and leave 576 CY as the starting year for every group. That would allow DMs to take the (deliberately sketchy) information and make it their own, with the actions of the PCs determining the future.

If only that had happened. I see that big map of Oerik and feel it's a pity that the rest of the continent was never fully fleshed out (or fleshed out much at all beyond a few lines for some regions, or fleshed out in contradictory ways)...

Hussar

Legend
For me, it's the sparseness.

I love the fact that a lot of Greyhawk just doesn't have anyone ruling over it and the details of those that are actually living there are pretty sketchy. For example, the Pomarj. There's no actual "country" of Pomarj. It's just a region with a bajillion humanoids living in it. There's no king of Pomarj. Other than some very minor details, it's more or less Terra Incognita. And a lot of the lands in Greyhawk are like this.

And, hey, the Anna maps: http://ghmaps.net/onlinemap/onlinemapsuperhd.html are unbelievably gorgeous.

Greyhawk was pretty forgettable for me. It was so empty and most of the names and places were not memorable. That didn't make it bad, but more of a blank slate I didn't have any particular feelings about either positive or negative.

The most memorable things for me were Vecna, Mordenkainen, St. Cuthbert, and the Tomb of Horrors.

Soul Stigma

First Post
Greyhawk was pretty forgettable for me. It was so empty and most of the names and places were not memorable. That didn't make it bad, but more of a blank slate I didn't have any particular feelings about either positive or negative.

The most memorable things for me were Vecna, Mordenkainen, St. Cuthbert, and the Tomb of Horrors.

Mileage will always vary, to be sure. Probably what makes Greyhawk special to me, in all honesty, as I spent whole summers as a kid adventuring and running campaigns in it. That poor map really frayed at the folds. My "Stranger Things" years were spent in Greyhawk.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

hawkeyefan

Legend
I dig Greyhawk because of all the iconic elements.....Iggwilv, Iuz, the Circle of Eight, the Temple of Elemental Evil....all that stuff. We played through so much of that stuff in the early days and it holds such a place for us, that I've reincorporated a lot of those classic elements into my current campaign.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Did you miss the part in the OP where I said FR wins the IRL award?

GH cops less flak online than FR for a variety of reasons. I am speculating on what those reasons are.

I cannot comment on how much love goes one way or another, but I think you are spot on with your assessments. Having more of a blank slate to make your own is attractive. Many modules could take place there, but unless they are used in your campaign they may or may not be relevant. Your Greyhawk can be very different than mine.

The same thing can be said of the FR but look at the veritable mountains of material created for it--several editions worth. Books, games and so forth. There is a glut.

I do not think we should discount flavor either. There is some cool stuff in FR, but the dark and brooding greyhawk is different in its fantasy generic-ness.

I think FR seems too convenient. There are too many super heroes. Getting lost in Greyhawk seems more desperate and remote in a sense...there are fewer Elminster/Drizzt characters ready to hop in and help.

Conversely, we are using Sword Coast AG and the maps to flesh out SKT. None of us are well versed in Realms Lore and none of us care about it. In this way, the Realms can be fine with crabby players like me. I am capable of ignoring the cartoonish crap...

Second aside: when the forgotten realms boxed set came out in the 90s, we thought it was pretty cool. It changed over time. And that is another reason I think overexposure is part of the problem and with it "overpopulation" with heroes. Back then we actually saw the Realms as more remote and LESS populated! That seems kind of funny decades later...

Remove ads