• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why is "Frost Brand" rarer than "Flame Tongue"?

Further, I think the lack of 'core' magic item economy is a good decision. I wouldn't mind official pricing, but it should be campaign-setting-specific not 'core rules' or 'generic optional rules' because stuff like magic item economy is very setting dependent.

I think that's especially important for this edition with Forgotten Realms as pseudo-default setting, since FR is relatively high magic. An economy that makes sense for FR would be way out of place in many other worlds. In my campaign world, only the most basic and minor permanent magical items would be for sale under normal circumstances.

Also, magic item economy led to all kinds of weirdness in 3.x like effectively infinite healing from cheap wands of cure light wounds.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Yeah, well, we can all stop talking about core as if that still is on the table.

Nothing I do or do not do can magically insert magic item creation rules into your copy of the DMG and force you to use it. Neither will existing adventures like Rise of Tiamat suddenly sport magic shoppes that you have to erase if you don't want them.

I am expressing a desire for *official* magic item creation rules as deep and detailed as the ones in the 3e DMG.

Official, not core.

Because the DMG was written by 3-4 different people who took turns creating items.
And because a weapon dealing the most commonly resisted damage is less potent than one dealing a less resisted damage type *and* conferring resistance.

Yeah, well, we can all stop talking about core as if that still is on the table.

Nothing I do or do not do can magically insert magic item creation rules into your copy of the DMG and force you to use it. Neither will existing adventures like Rise of Tiamat suddenly sport magic shoppes that you have to erase if you don't want them.

I am expressing a desire for *official* magic item creation rules as deep and detailed as the ones in the 3e DMG.

Official, not core.
Why not make your own or check the DMs Guild?
"Official" is basically "brand name", offering no extra guarantee of quality or that the rules will do what you want.

Unofficial rules can be pretty darn balanced and well thought out. And designed & written over ten times the length of time WotC would devote to such content.

Dausuul

Legend
Fiddler-on-the-Roof-copy.jpg

Mercule

Adventurer
Because the DMG was written by 3-4 different people who took turns creating items.
And because a weapon dealing the most commonly resisted damage is less potent than one dealing a less resisted damage type *and* conferring resistance.
I hadn't realized this, until this thread.

After playing World of Darkness, I kinda got into the mindset that the most certain way to kill something is 1) cut off its head, 2) burn it with fire, or 3) both. While not universal, you can generally count on fire to do aggravated damage (or just kill mages).

CapnZapp

Legend
"Official" is basically "brand name", offering no extra guarantee of quality or that the rules will do what you want.

Unofficial rules can be pretty darn balanced and well thought out. And designed & written over ten times the length of time WotC would devote to such content.
I'd rather stick to official WotC material if you don't mind.

I'd rather stick to official WotC material if you don't mind.
There are official WotC magic item pricing and creation rules. They're in the DMG, and the staff seem content with those rules.

Those doesn't seem to be cutting it for you. So your realistic options are to either accept the rules we have, adapt the 3e rules yourself, or turn to a 3rd Party.
Even in the highly unlikely instance Mearls does decide to return to magic item creation, it will be in Unearthed Arcana and be something hammered out in a weekend and plainly formatting, being of quality lower than most DMs Guild products.

Remove ads