D&D 5E Why Not? A Variant Captain Fighter

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Dramatic Maneuvering
By forgoing an attack or spending an additional superiority die you may declare your maneuver dramatic such a maneuver will affect multiple allies and enemies (only the non-damaging effects) nearby which see the maneuver.

For example your menacing attack may now inflict fear in enemies within range.
For example your rallying cry may now affect allies within range.
Or even your push maneuver now pushes or induces movement in more than one enemy

Obviously not a finished idea nor am I sure about the numbers but captures enhancing existing maneuvers with a coherent visualization similar to (scanning for openings in that regards)

Note that forgoing an attack mechanic is sort of an implicit form of level gating the action surge allows one to have more resources therefore overcoming that limit for a bit which is I think an interestingly flexible trick i have seen some who created explicit level gates on maneuvers I think it is less satisfying.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Bait and Switch
The Warlords player designates a willing ally within 30 feet or self as bait and forgos one attack. The willing bait may perform an Cha check (acting) success makes the enemy save at a disadvantage. Enemies that can see and hear the bait within 30 feet of the bait must make a Wisdom saving throw. Arrogant creatures and those immune to fear are often the most vulnerable and may get a penalty to their saves (DM discretion perhaps -5). Each creature that fails this saving throw must immediately use its reaction to move as far as its speed allows towards your bait. Roll the superiority die, and deal that much damage to each of these creatures that ends the move within 5 feet of the bait. The damage is of the same type as dealt by a weapon of choice that is are wielded by the bait subject.

Sort of the opposite of a Charge for groups without enough allies :p note is uses up enemy reactions nicely.

This is a really really really rough idea. Actually inspired by an idea for giving the Warlord a come and get it for 4e.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
This one is inspired by one found out in the wild.

Counter Stroke (Contretemps in Fencing): When an enemy hits you or a creature friendly to you with an attack, you can expend one superiority die and use a reaction to make weapon attack against the enemy. Resolve this attack before the triggering attack. If your weapon attack hits, add the superiority die to the initial subject (you or friendly) creature's AC against the triggering attack, which may make the triggering attack miss.

Counter Stroke can be done with a ranged weapon only if you have the Archery Fighting Style.

Complicated a bit but I like it. Perhaps written @Tony Vargas style

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Advanced Maneuvers that you do not want to use attacks for could use more than one superiority die to achieve their effect.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Heros play to their Strengths
Seeing them falter as a reaction your shouted inspiration allows an ally within 60 feet to reroll a failed saving throw using their their best save. (spend a superiority die)

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Although I think enabling mid battle expenditure of HD could be added to the game as a rule variant tying it to a Warlord ability as @Tony Vargas suggested would definitely seat it as a form of Leader with a particular focus of making larger battles less swingy.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
This one is inspired by one found out in the wild.

Counter Stroke (Contretemps in Fencing): When an enemy hits you or a creature friendly to you with an attack, you can expend one superiority die and use a reaction to make weapon attack against the enemy. Resolve this attack before the triggering attack. If your weapon attack hits, add the superiority die to the initial subject (you or friendly) creature's AC against the triggering attack, which may make the triggering attack miss.

Counter Stroke can be done with a ranged weapon only if you have the Archery Fighting Style.

Complicated a bit but I like it.
A warning shout might be a bit like the above without an attack ....

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Blood of Kings : perhaps as a feat
Your inspiration allows heros to dig deep, when a character receives temp or permanent hit points due to one of your abilities they may spend HD to immediately regain additional hit points with a bonus equal to your charisma mod on the total. They can only make use of this feature to spend upto 1/2 their HD until they experience a short rest. Though if they have enough dice may do it more than once.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases