D&D 5E Why Not? A Variant Captain Fighter

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
*keep it simple enough that a Champion Captain can be a simple hitter with some secondary support ability
I am still thinking in terms of fine tuning on the Battlemaster but I have seen variant Fighter where Champion is given some specific maneuvers which fit thematically its primordial nature which is Why I mentioned the Berserk Option. It's not Warlordish but rather barbarianish and champion appropriate. One chieftain style option might be to enable allies to do the Berserk Option. The presence of the War Chief enables them to spend 1 extra attack and have their attack affect all adjacent creatures. Since most combatant combatants have two attacks this works rather well.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
There was a character in the Sword of Truth series that enabled his companions to do the Berserk thing which is what inspired the above thought

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Counter Stroke (Contretemps in Fencing): When an enemy hits you or a creature friendly to you with an attack, you can expend one superiority die and use a reaction to make weapon attack against the enemy. Resolve this attack before the triggering attack. If your weapon attack hits, add the superiority die to the initial subject (you or friendly) creature's AC against the triggering attack, which may make the triggering attack miss.

Counter Stroke can be done with a ranged weapon only if you have the Archery Fighting Style.

A warning shout might be a bit like the above without an attack ....

Or a warning shout might trigger a counter stroke for your ally against adjacent enemies in effect allowing some of the ranged benefit without the Archery foundation (not as good because the attack component would require the adjacent enemy and a ranged one does not). The warning shout might be less range than the Warning Shot if you had a healthy ranged weapon. (though a heroes voice feat might fix that)

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Sounds a bit like the 13TWs Commander's option - can't recall the name - taking a beat to assess the battle.
I think you could look at this assuming we are brash about it as building the Hero from Chainmail ie the sole martial class what maneuvers might integrate the rogue with this :p

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
One ingredient I want is reasons for a fighter to be intelligent or perceptive.
Battle Ready : a really subtle improvement of the fighter class itself you do not necessarily react to battle you plan and predict it you are constant aware of the possibility and in some cases downright eager for its onset. You may use Int/Wis in place of Dexterity for initiative checks.
While this is a nice start I think the follow up will be having maneuvers which benefit from Intelligence and Wisdom and also more of them which key off Charisma.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Design Note - Where do we get an at-will or why Scan for Opening?
One of the things in concept I miss from 4e were at-wills and one of the things I need to see out of a Warlord is that they feel like a Warlord every turn. So I figured that was a place to start.

One of the assertions tends to be In 5e you need to give up 2 extra attacks to be able to have the design space for a Warlord Scan for Opening just makes that giving up those attacks a dynamic thing. In the process by applying it to the Battlemaster it also gives back the non-all damage all the time at-will to our Battlemaster Fighter

More on the balance of it - 5e has been described as having a lot of its numbers being 4e divide by 2 but this is not entirely true (at least in damage and hit points). A translation from 4e land can help us find those varied at-wills, Now at heroic levels in 5e every combatant type has an at-will. Tadah It is an analog to the 4e Rangers Twin Strike although only scaling fully for the Fighter. In 4e at-wills for the most part scaled by a factor of 2x (I would argue the few which didn't were slip ups). A high level ranger got a double power twin strike at higher levels. Functionally the Fighter is the poster boy 4e ranger a multi-attack combatant. His twin strikes are split into 4 instead of being 2 double strength ones.

Basically if one uses scan for opening once around after level 5 and twice in end game you are now trading 2 extra attacks for 2 somewhat buffed at-wills (twin strike -with the rangers mark included kind of).

I’d probably simplify it. You can give up an attack to restore a superiority die.
I have thought about this and If you simplify it in that way you make it I think significantly more powerful and kind of undermine the concept that you are reading the current situation for instance if you can use it the next fight and similar things actually the way I conceived, it really was less useful for a maneuver like precision attack nor is it useful for a riposte because it is about scanning the situation now. (if you are making a trick shot you know is very unlikely to work it would allow you to do that it is a Robinhood enabler just maybe not the typical use case). Additionally since many maneuvers require an attack actually hit it generally via all eggs in one basket phenomena weakens the overall value as well. Exceptions are fairly few.

Scanning for Openings: When you make an attack action you may forgo one attack from it to enable your next actual attack this encounter to gain a Tactic Die which can be used during this or the next round to perform a maneuver as though you spent a superiority die. You may add your Int/Wis/Charisma in addition to the die if the maneuver calls for a die roll.

The adding of a Mental Attribute to the die is kind of a let's encourage the smart fighter.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
More on Scan for Openings : Adding a mental attribute bonus to a subsequent attack roll ie a bonus on your attack, would be another thematically appropriate enhancement if the attack failed in this case the virtual die would be lost.

We could call the die gained from the ability a Tactical Die. If we wanted to differentiate it from the normal superiority die so maneuvers could have benefits from a Tactical Die they might not gain from a superiority die but I am not sure that distinction is valuable.

Scan for openings becomes more powerful if subsequently designed maneuvers have effects that are not as dependent on you making a hit AND may make them lazy lord friendly.

Last edited:

Quartz

Hero
Battle Ready : a really subtle improvement of the fighter class itself you do not necessarily react to battle you plan and predict it you are constant aware of the possibility and in some cases downright eager for its onset. You may use Int/Wis in place of Dexterity for initiative checks.

Make it Proficiency Bonus instead.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Make it Proficiency Bonus instead.
I dont mind the idea of enhancing every fighters initiative but that is not the specific
goal in this case. (and that would enhance even the Dex fighters initiative not sure they need it so much? :p )

What it does not do with your idea is encourage the perceptive and predictive fighter. (Wisdom / Intelligence)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases